Tap Identification and bar advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dae Tripper

Reaction score
Last night I picked up a old bar and there is a few things I need help with. Firstly I am completely unfamiliar with these taps and they will need a bit of love, can you point me in the right direction for seals or diagrams?
What will be the best way to set up this bar? I got a small chesty the other day that might help.
2016-03-31 10.01.17.jpg2016-03-31 09.57.45.jpg2016-03-30 22.56.27.jpg2016-03-30 22.57.00.jpg2016-03-31 10.00.32.jpg

Looks like an Andale tap to me... apart from the Lancer on it

II know Aldale do, and believe Lancer also have kits for most of their taps.

Made some stuff shiny, yay.

Now what is the best way of refurbishing the lines from these flooded fonts? I noticed the od of the original line is 7mm, should I just use the old stuff with a line joiner?

2016-04-01 00.31.36.jpg

I have done a very similar project to this with refurbished andale taps and lancer font.

I got:
- new seal kit from andale for each tap ($6ea from memory plus postage)
- took the font apart and tried my hardest to undo the olive thing thats securing the grotty old beer line to the back of the tap shank. Failed
- cut the 7mm line short and replaced with new 8mm line. The outside diameter was similar enough to both just go into a JG straight push connector with no leaks.
- didn't set up the glycol flooding because I already had made a font fan which I barely ever use anyway.

Sorry for the dp. Phone won't let me edit last post.

That bar looks awesome and looks like your glycol lines are intact. Just looking at it and wondering how you would pull a chesty out to replace kegs if it was tethered through the lid with beer lines...

Wondered if you'd considered leaving the kegs sitting at room temperature and just flooding the fonts with supercooled glycol so the beer is chilled while pouring?

This would have its own set of drawbacks and I have no idea how it would work out but it would look seriously cool (pun intended of course) and make it easy to swap kegs around.

Strip the whole thing down and replace all lines. Don't sound like a big job does it! This bar is ex-commercial from the 70's the beer would have gone through an ice bank where your lines now end. You can certainly make it work well it'll just take some work.

siege said:
Just looking at it and wondering how you would pull a chesty out to replace kegs if it was tethered through the lid with beer lines...
Wondered if you'd considered leaving the kegs sitting at room temperature and just flooding the fonts with supercooled glycol so the beer is chilled while pouring?
This would have its own set of drawbacks and I have no idea how it would work out but it would look seriously cool (pun intended of course) and make it easy to swap kegs around.
One idea was having the chesty on wheels and a big loop of insulated beer lines. Got to go a bit higher to fit it under. Wold need a but more than just a cold font unfortunately.

It did have some temprights under the bar but that is a bit too much effort so I didn't buy them.

How do you pull these taps apart?

Handle is removed by counter-clockwise thumb power.
Then unscrew the threaded rod and the rest of the hinge mechanism comes apart. May need to loosen the small nuts with an Allen key

So I am planning to keep the kegs in a chesty and have a small freezer to run the glycol system but that is as far as I have got thought. Could anyone recommend what pumps would be good for the job of running the two flooded fonts?

Low flow pumps of some kind ? Maybe cheap aquarium pumps.
The reason I've suggested low flow or indeed some sort of cycling ( on a timer maybe ) is that your not using the taps all the time but don't want stale/ warm beer sitting in the lines.
Low flow means slow flow so the lines remain chilled to certain degree,the cycling can be advanced or slowed depending on the weather ?

I had asked this guy for the dimensions of the bar and replied with it is getting taken today!
Good deal :) and nice pickup!

Latest posts

Back