taking beers on a plane

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1974Alby

Reaction score
Flying to Perth tomorow and was thinking of packing some beers for a mate. Do longnecks travel ok in the cargo hold? I was wondering if the pressure differential might lead to bottle bombs or leaking caps?.

I assume it will be ok as a mate recently brought back some beers from O/seas, but just wanted to check others experience/opinion in this matter.

cheers

Al

I took a bunch of PET bottles on a plane and they were fine. I'm sure glass gets shipped by plane regularly, so should be fine too. If you've ever seen baggage handlers at work, you'll know to pack them with plenty of cushioning though.

I've brought heaps of longneck bottles back from overseas and not had any problems. Just wrap em in my holeproof explorer socks for protection.
Don't know how cans would go through? Anybody tried with cans?

Bring them on the plane with you. The airlines say they have a volume limit, but if you leave it in your bag they won't care. This is only for domestic, of course.

Do you suggest this because of baggage handlers or pressure concerns? I would prefer them in my checked baggage if safe to do so.

I've never had a problem with bringing back 500ml bottles on work trips, that's with 2 changes too.

Watch your weight allowance but. The check-in ladies at Munich made me leave 2 beers out once... good thing beer is part of a complete breakfast.

I've had breakages and pressure-related (I assume) leaking with both home brew and fancy commercial beers on international flights in the undercarriage. Have taken brews carry-on domestically without issue a fair bit too

Albainian said:
Do you suggest this because of baggage handlers or pressure concerns? I would prefer them in my checked baggage if safe to do so.
It's more because i rarely even bring check in luggage

No problems in suitcase. Chuck each one in a ziplock bag though in case of leaks. I then shove into shoes or inside rolled up towel or bubblewrap. Brought dozens of bottles and growlers from O/S over the years. Had a leak in a growler once but nothing else. My fault for not tightening enough. Even then, only lost a few mL. My best effort though was to put inside a postit box with bubble wrap. ultimte protection.

R

If you take them as carry on I've been stung before taking "un-labelled" bottles through BNE.

I took though an iced coffee I had made in an un-labelled beer bottle. They asked me what it was and I told them it was an iced coffee. They said the problem was that it was unlabelled.

They said I could go back through security and drink it - I didn't have enough time to do that and I wanted to drink it while I sat and ate the banana bread the Mrs made me!

I said "I can open the bottle and you can smell it?" to which the security lady obliged.

I popped the cap. She gave it a whiff. "Oh, yep, that's coffee... here you go"

Now I just leave the beer label on the bottle and re cap it.

Looks great drinking a "beer" at 0600hrs.

I took 3 cases of HB in longnecks to the UK in June for my dad. All arrived safe and sound. Never tried it domestically though, so just rambling unhelpfully - which SWMBO reckons is my thing

Last time I took beer to the Gold Coast from Tassie, I just paid for an extra checked in bag. Took an esky (23 kgs max) full of brew to some friends who were very happy. It all depends how much you want to spend. There were no problems with the beer on arrival or when we drank it. It was a mix of pet and glass bottles. They just asked what was in the esky at the airport.
Cheers
LB

Just to state the obvious - the hold of the aircraft *should* be at normal atmospheric pressure, otherwise anything like perfumes, hair sprays, toothpastes, etc. etc. etc. would burst in peoples' bags.
Thus this should not be considered much of a risk.

Latest posts

Back