Switching Back To Batch Sparging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huh ,

Ross and Darren ,

I would rush home not to watch 'Neighbours' but to read your posts , now your both :party: its not quite the same . :lol:

pumpy

good to see i wasn't the only person entertained :lol:

vl

Pumpy said:
Huh ,

Ross and Darren ,

I would rush home not to watch 'Neighbours' but to read your posts , now your both :party: its not quite the same . :lol:

pumpy
[post="89164"][/post]​

:D - I'm sure we'll find something else to debate soon :D

Kong -
delayed reaction here, I only just started reading this thread tonight.
You asked about percentage difference between the efficiencies of fly and batch sparging. Sosman has conducted a poll on efficiencies, and the results can be found here:

It's the usual Sosman ultra scientific leave-no-stone-unturned approach. It will answer your question alright.

KoNG said:
I've only ever batch sparged, and of course topics like this dont entice me to experiment with fly sparging :p
On average who has done both and can hint towards what the difference in effeciency is..? 5% - 10% - 15%...???
[post="89078"][/post]​
4%

After my sparge water goes in I don't wait. I stir, recirculate and drain.

I don't buy the "wait 10 minutes after you stir will increase your efficiency"

sosman said:

[post="89199"][/post]​

Sosman,

i don't give it 10 mins to increase efficiency - just a case of letting the grains settle into a nice even bed, but by the sounds of it, that's not necessary? Great :)

though a couple of brewers on here insist that waiting 30 mins will increase your efficiency quite considerably over waiting 10 mins... So guess you're not in that camp ;) ... me niether...

Ross said:
sosman said:

[post="89199"][/post]​

snipped>

i don't give it 10 mins to increase efficiency - just a case of letting the grains settle into a nice even bed, but by the sounds of it, that's not necessary? Great :)

[post="89224"][/post]​

I set the tap straight away, I don't find the need to let the bed set, actually I think it works better if its still floating, with my tun at least.
I just recycle untill clear then dump it out trying not to let the bed set to hard.
Anyway I'am a big fan of keeping the grain pretty loose and getting the wort out nicely, I'am pretty sure for both types of sparging its best to keep the grain from setting to much. In fly sparging channelling would start to become a big problem once it starts compacting so the looser it is the better. Getting clear wort shouldn't be a problem having the mash fairly loose or floating.
When the tuns drained the grain should still take up a fair amount of volume and not be all compacted in the bottom.
As for getting more extract out of it after waiting a bit its all about rinsing the extract out of the grains if waiting 10mins seems to help then go for it.
I personally find mixing it up proberly is enough to get a nice consistent 75% everytime.

JaYsE

I reckon use whatever method suits you and you prefer. Truth be told they both work fine I'd say. :beerbang:

Now lets watch Darren and Ross walk off into the sunset. :lol: :lol:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
I reckon use whatever method suits you and you prefer. Truth be told they both work fine I'd say. :beerbang:

Now lets watch Darren and Ross walk off into the sunset. :lol:

Warren -
[post="89267"][/post]​

as long as it's not hand in hand :blink: :D

Ross said:
warrenlw63 said:
I reckon use whatever method suits you and you prefer. Truth be told they both work fine I'd say.

Now lets watch Darren and Ross walk off into the sunset.

Warren -
[post="89267"][/post]​

as long as it's not hand in hand :D
[post="89269"][/post]​

C'mon, you know you want to :lol: :lol: :ph34r:

Shawn.

warrenlw63 said:

Warren -
[post="89267"][/post]​

I agree Warren, I don't know why this topic always triggers such a passionate discussion. The commercial guys are a case in point. They pretty much all fly sparge and you can get both absolutely dreadful commercial beers but also some absolute crackers. In my opinion, I think there are far more obvious and important factors influencing beer quality than sparging technique.

Just one final note though regarding the point that fly sparging leaches more tannins than batch sparging due to hot water constantly sitting on top of the grain. I fly sparge, but I don't keep my sparge water at a constant 75 degrees. Once I hit 75 I turn the heat off. That means that the water that goes into the mash tun first is 75 degrees (which is fine - a bit like a mash out) but as it gets lower in the hlt it would have lost quite a bit of heat (as much as 10 degrees, maybe even more). The lower sparge temp at this point will help to reduce the extraction of tannins from the grain husks.

sosman said:
KoNG said:
I've only ever batch sparged, and of course topics like this dont entice me to experiment with fly sparging :p
On average who has done both and can hint towards what the difference in effeciency is..? 5% - 10% - 15%...???
[post="89078"][/post]​
4%
[post="89197"][/post]​

Nice.. thanx Sosman, that was much easier than reading your study while pretending to today.
not that i dont want to check it out. :p

Back