Suggestions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

achy02

Reaction score
Hi all,
Does anyone have any suggestions about how to improve a good old can of Coopers Real Ale? I am thinking of mashing some grain to add a bit of body and taste but I am not too sure on a decent hop schedule that is not too bitter. I am thinking late Cascade or First Gold. Any ideas?

Cheers

aches

If it's genuine real ale you're after then an English hop might be more appropriate. Later in the boil will mean that it's not too bitter. Smaller amounts earlier will mean it's not to bitter as well. Additions 30 minutes and after will add less bitterness and more flavour/aroma (as in 30 mins before the end of the boil - 20 is a good spot to start I reckon).

I'll have to check my notes, but I've had some good results with this kit, mainly an amber ale using willamette, and a toucan with cascade which was something like an american brown.
Same as Manticle, I reckon english hops suit this one... willamette, fuggles, golding,etc.

achy,

E.K. Goldings goes well with this kit. Also 500g LDME and 500g dex makes a top drop of ale. You can use a tea bag or boil 20g pellets in some of the malt mixed with a litre or so of water for 15 minutes.

I usually do this a day or so ahead and store the liquor in a glass wine flagon.

cheers
BB

First Gold is an English style hop. I like it and use it quite often. It will work well.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Im thinking of the following:

1.7kg Kit - Real Ale
500g Light Crystal - steeped
250g Munich - steeped
500g - Dextrose

10 g First Gold - 15mins
20 g First Gold - flame out

Does this sound okay? Im just using up bits and pieces, but i dont know about the hop quantities.

Cheers
aches

Essentially those additions will give you aroma and maybe a bit of flavour so your additions really depend on what you're aiming for. Do you want a nice hop aroma (bugger whether or not it's to style) or a reliance on the malt?

Im not too worried about staying to the style. I was thinking aroma, a lot of my beers have turned out bitter of late but im open to any ideas about what would work well.

aches

Your hops additions will basically be aromatic. If you like the aroma of first gold (I have no idea as I've never used it) then I'd say you should do ok. Try it and see how it goes - it certainly doesn't look like it would be bad. Personally I'd swap the amounts for 15 and f/o as I like aroma to be backed with flavour and am not always a big late hop man but it's not my beer. Give it a crack.

Latest posts

Back