Suggestions. No hops beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WhiteLomu said:
How many batches have you thrown out already?
Thrown two out this year plus the trub left over from the fermenters goes straight on the lawn every time. I don't know if this is why but my lawn has never been this green in 20 years. The beers were undrinkable. The most positive comment I got about one was "it would make a good cough mixture"

Mattrox said:
I have a can/chook holder just for that recipe. I have never tried it. It gets used as a bottle rack for drying bottles after use. Upside down as in the photo. Thanks. I will have to try it now.

2015-11-16 22.10.05.jpg

Let it run it's course. If it turns out a little rough I'd recommend a bottle of stones green ginger wine to mix with it as you go for a good ginger beer.

Update!! Cracked the first one today. To say I'm surprised is not even close. What I had in mind was nothing like this. Unfortunately my description won't come close to being helpful but here goes. NOT sweet, more like a cider than anything. Tarty, effervescent, sour. My wife says "sherbet" which makes some sense cause its got this tickle on your tongue but like I said not sweet. Also not gassy like its been over carbonated. This fizzy is different. I will try get somebody else to test it who can hopefully describe it better. At the end of the day I have drunk the whole pint which I couldnt do with other beers I have brewed so its not too bad. It's definitely not beer no matter whats in it but I do think there will be someone who will enjoy drinking it. Just got to find that person.
Cheers.
Rodney.
PS. Just opened another so ..........yeah I'm wierd. It's drinkable ....Just.

arpie12008 said:
Update!! Cracked the first one today. To say I'm surprised is not even close. What I had in mind was nothing like this. Unfortunately my description won't come close to being helpful but here goes. NOT sweet, more like a cider than anything. Tarty, effervescent, sour. My wife says "sherbet" which makes some sense cause its got this tickle on your tongue but like I said not sweet. Also not gassy like its been over carbonated. This fizzy is different. I will try get somebody else to test it who can hopefully describe it better. At the end of the day I have drunk the whole pint which I couldnt do with other beers I have brewed so its not too bad. It's definitely not beer no matter whats in it but I do think there will be someone who will enjoy drinking it. Just got to find that person.
Cheers.
Rodney.
PS. Just opened another so ..........yeah I'm wierd. It's drinkable ....Just.

Mmmmm, interesting.

Can you post a picture of the taste?

Just kidding. Keep on keeping on, with a bit of practice you will make some cracking craft beers - no doubt of the interesting variety ;)

Had about 1/2 dozen of them now and really like them. Certainly not in a beer way but the sour taste is nice. Every mouthfull kinda surprises you. Had someone else try one today. Said it tasted of acid. Suggested it was possibly Tartric acid which he seemed to think is part of the beer making process (fermentation). I wouldnt have a clue about that but perhaps someone here might know a bit more about this. Anyway, I'm not suggesting this is the next breakthrough in beer or anything but I think I personally would make it again, as strange as that sounds.

Give it a few years and it might be really interesting.
There was a Chimay Red that has been sitting in my fridge for at least 12 months because it was really stale when my mate brought them round so didn't get drunk.
Last night I opened it for no good reason and was amazed at how good it tasted. Nothing like Chimay but tasted like cherry and a sour ale.
Was actually almost enjoyable...... But I'm stupid for sour beer so possibly overselling it.
Point being if it's tasting sour now age shit out of a few, you may have a desirable infection.

At this stage it has become my first choice on hot nights. Only problem is anything else tastes really bad after having one of these. The sour flavour is really intense. I hope its not an infection that has caused it as someone has suggested. I WILL be trying to make it again. Please note that I do have very strange tastes so not suggesting anyone else tries this.

A Brewery close to home (one of the oldest in the country I believe) brews with I quote ' the holy trinity of ingredients' which I thought was malt hops and yeast but no - they use malt yeast and water only in all there ales.
Needless to say I've never been to a brewery that sells so much wine!

Brewhart said:
A Brewery close to home (one of the oldest in the country I believe) brews with I quote ' the holy trinity of ingredients' which I thought was malt hops and yeast but no - they use malt yeast and water only in all there ales.
Needless to say I've never been to a brewery that sells so much wine!
Care to share a bit more info?? Name of brewery and near what location would be nice please. I would like to try some. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back