Suggestions For An American Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've just put my fourth AG brew into the fermenter - a Vienna Kolsch (from the recipe DB).

For my next brew I'd like to try an American Pale Ale.

I'm interested in hearing what AG recipes people recommend.

Cheers,

Chris

Bob basic grain base - Pale, crystal and wheat. The wheat & crystal, only about 300g each. The rest ale malt. Add your favourite US hop(s) for an IBU of about 30.

Mmm. Also dry hop. :beerbang:

Start with Dr Smurto's Golden Ale in the recipe section... it's a winner every time. Adjust the IBU's to suit yourself.

It's not a style I usually go for - I'm much prefer an English ale so I don't really have a favourite.

Dr Smurto's Golden Ale is an ESB which uses a US hop, so it also fits into the APA category. Brewed by many here as one of their first AGs, so it would suit nicely.
Link to thread and recipe

Dr Smurto's Golden Ale is an ESB which uses a US hop, so it also fits into the APA category. Brewed by many here as one of their first AGs, so it would suit nicely.
Link to thread and recipe

I was a bit confused by that! I saw that it was an ESB but didn't see the hops.

i concur with the others the golden ale is good.. i actually made the kit version a while ago with great results, haven't got around to brewing the AG version yet. or if you want something different, reading brewing classic styles atm by jamil Zainashef and he has 2 award winning apa recipes in the book. this one i am planning to make in the near future.

5kg ale malt
300g munich
200g wheat

20g galaxy 13% AA 60 (originally had horizon, but couldn't find it here so subbed galaxy)
15g cascade 6% AA 10
15g centenial 9% AA 10
15g cascade 6% AA 0min
15g centenial 9% AA 0min

mash at 67c for 60min
boil 60min

OG: 1.056
FG: 1.013
ADF:77%
IBU: 40
color: 6 SRM (12 EBC)
Alcohol: 5.7%
pre boil volume 26.5l
pre boil gravity: 1.048

ferment with wyeast 1056 or fermentis us05 at 19c

I can't say I've had a lot of experience brewing APAs, but here are the few pointers that I can give.

1. Keep your malt bill fairly simple. The majority of it should be made of a decent ale malt. You don't want too much in the way of crystal grains or even lightly roasted malts -- yet a little can go a long way in giving your beer some extra depth. I'd suggest a fairly high mash temp, about 68 degrees or so to allow for some unfermentable sugars. You do need some sweetness to counterbalance the hops, but you don't want the over the top sweetness that crystal malt brings.

2. Don't use any adjuncts. No rice, no corn, nor sugar. If you want a decent APA keep it all malt. They aren't that strong that they need anything extra to boost the alcohol.

3. Make up a good portion of your IBUs with your hop additions after 20min or so. APAs are all about the hop flavour and aroma. While it may seem cheaper to use more hops at the beginning of the boil, you really need to have a good dose of late hopping to make a good APA, and if you want that extra kick some dry hops as well. Honestly, are you brewing for price or for good beer? Good home brew should be all about the final product, no matter what the cost.

Hope I've helped,

Cheers!
Dan

cpsmusic, what is your favourite commercial APA?
In my opinion if you're not too sure about which style of APA to go for, just duck into your local bottlo (preferably with a decent range) and grab yourself a few different APAs to try out. If you like one, let us know. There's clones for just about any APA readily available around, or at least you'll get some good advice from an identifiable base point for your preferences.

Perhaps do a Sierra Nevada Clone? For me, it's the signature Yankie PA and is freakin delicious.

90% Ale Malt
10% Pale Crystal
Mashed @ 65C

Magnum and Pearl to 32IBUs and buckets of Cascade late (10 mins) for another 5 IBUs ... and 1g/L of cascade dry hopped.

US05 @ <20C

I'd agree, get most of your bittering from a fairly neutral bitterer such as Magnum or Columbus, then hit it with heaps of late Centennial and Cascade. I considered the whole APA thing to be a bit wanky until I got drafted into judging at the BABBs comp last year so came to APAs with a virgin palate - and was blown away by some of the entries. Also with the BJCP guide right in front of me whilst tasting I got an instant APA 101 crash course. And I became an instant convert, always have one on tap now.

However I'm not an Amarillo fan, a bit gorgonzola-cheesy to my individual palate.

Back