Sugar wash - flavouring

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
toncils said:
I worked in a retail place, and am very very far from being a chemist. The guy in Brewcraft was doing his job, to the best of his knowledge, but at the end of the day he's just there to exchange the product you want for moneys.

Still sounds like this debate can be cleared up with a champagne yeast.
To the best of his knowledge isn't good enough if it's going to make people sick.

If someone tells you something about a product it has to be accurate. Consumer law.

I try so hard to ignore this shit. But i hate to see the hobby distilling world attacked by ignorance.

Blind or dead for fucks sake from boiling and drinking it after it's condensed but you think you are safe from drinking the very same ingredients in the same quantities if you don't boil it. :ph34r:
Where the **** did that logic come from?

You recipe will make the vilest, most expensive wine like crap that people will have to be dared to swallow. It will have no relation to any of the spirits no matter how much cordial you tip in it.

You have not invented a really cool way to beat the bottlo.

If you think it's just ignorance from people who have never tried it then go ahead, brew it and share it with your friends. It won't injure you, but if you can gag down enough to get you smashed i garantee it won't be the next morning you'll be posting back the results :lol:

As Punkin and HBHB have said, the issue with your proposal isn't that it will cause you dire physical harm. The issue is that it will taste quite awful. As far as the shop assistant aspect of this discussion is concerned, product knowledge is not a prerequisite for working at Brewcraft or some other Home Brew shops. Some people will know their stuff and some will not.

punkin said:
You recipe will make the vilest, most expensive wine like crap that people will have to be dared to swallow. It will have no relation to any of the spirits no matter how much cordial you tip in it.

You have not invented a really cool way to beat the bottlo.
Got to say I gave something like that a try.....white sugar + bakers yeast....many years ago.

I only did it once. It wont kill you is because it is undrinkable...

Just buy some cheap Vodka.

A sugar wash tastes like ass especially with turbo crap. Only good for distilling which is illegal. It's hard enough to drink someone's kit and kilo beer let alone kilo beer without the kit.
If you want more recipes check out aussiedistiller.com in there recipe section.

damoninja said:
To the best of his knowledge isn't good enough if it's going to make people sick.

If someone tells you something about a product it has to be accurate. Consumer law.
Definitely, except when the product is being used differently than intended. I wouldn't have known the T-yeast is choccas with nasty crap.

Don't let everyone put you off, do some experiments; if it tastes like death even with careful thought, then give up.

The only way it would taste good is to boil the liquid eg distill.
As that cleans it up and seperates the alcohol from the water and by products. But that is illegal so you can't do that.
But if you where in New Zealand you could do that to get the alcohol then water the alcohol down with fresh water to get a clean tasting product that you could use in recipes.

Just buy the cheap Blue curacao and hazelnut liqueur and serve that to your guests. Your just going to give home brew a bad rep otherwise. By all means experiment, but as for serving an experiment that has been given bad feedback from people experienced in this field is not going to do much for home brewing in general.

Cheers

toncils said:
Definitely, except when the product is being used differently than intended. I wouldn't have known the T-yeast is choccas with nasty crap.

Don't let everyone put you off, do some experiments; if it tastes like death even with careful thought, then give up.
Consumer law says the product must live up to whatever the numpty sales person who sold it said it would do. Someone sells you a DVD player and says it will play a Bluray, get it home and it doesn't, oh well it's ok the guy "didn't know" so it's my fault. I asked the guy "if I do this will it just taste like water?", "yeah mate unless there's sugar left over then it will be sweet".

Distilling - from what I've read thus far not illegal everywhere, if the still is under 5L and you pay the excise on it. Look up on ATO website.

Results - I'm only $11 bucks in on this whole experiment, if it fails to taste like anything other than expected I'll do the alternative and buy some cheap vodkas and mix it that way.

Above distilling notes I wrote aren't correct, it's illegal to use the still to distill alcohol.

You can buy them at my brewing store but not use it for the intended purpose. Hah...

You were correct the first time. Distilling alchohol is perfectly legal in Australia if you hold the proper licence and pay the proper tax. It is illegal in all other cases.

Distilling essences or water is legal so long as your boiler is under 5 litre capacity.

11 bucks could have got you two nice schooners, but i guess you can't be told.

punkin said:
You were correct the first time. Distilling alchohol is perfectly legal in Australia if you hold the proper licence and pay the proper tax. It is illegal in all other cases.

Distilling essences or water is legal so long as your boiler is under 5 litre capacity.

11 bucks could have got you two nice schooners, but i guess you can't be told.
I was told. I was told it would work out OK. By a retailer.

Not saying that, just saying it's annoying that people sell you stuff and just blindly tell you it's gonna be fine for what you're using it for when it's not.

I respect people's objective advice on these forums, just not the mouthiness this forum is notorious for.

These guys have been very helpful to you with advice in a thread that is very borderline. So perhaps the criticism of the forum is unwarranted. Perhaps not , but I feel that it is. And this whole discussion over a few dollars worth of ingredients. Do better next time and research before you buy and go to a decent homebrew store. Not brewcraft.

Mate I'd go for a good wine yeast with a high acohol tolerance, and use a couple of sachets. Many modern wines are 14% ABV unfortified so it should get you into your ball park.

I used to make ginger beer on a regular wine LHBS yeast and it didn't take long at all, a couple of weeks max and it was indeed drinkable after extra ginger cordial mixed in, not to mention the cocktail umbrella.

You'd need yeast nutrient of course, I just used plain DAP, not knowing anything else, and it turned out fine and the "wash" was very dry so obviously the yeast did its job without conking out. I'd guess it was over 10% ABV.

Bribie G said:
Mate I'd go for a good wine yeast with a high acohol tolerance, and use a couple of sachets. Many modern wines are 14% ABV unfortified so it should get you into your ball park.

I used to make ginger beer on a regular wine LHBS yeast and it didn't take long at all, a couple of weeks max and it was indeed drinkable after extra ginger cordial mixed in, not to mention the cocktail umbrella.

You'd need yeast nutrient of course, I just used plain DAP, not knowing anything else, and it turned out fine and the "wash" was very dry so obviously the yeast did its job without conking out. I'd guess it was over 10% ABV.
Cheers mate, I might give this a shot another time.

I can attest to the disgustingness of wash-like brews
I've made a couple of batches of Kilju using Lemon, Ginger or Lemongrass for flavouring
My first batch I freeze-distilled it, came out around 30% ABV
I had 1 glass mixed down with a little lemonade, the throbbing headache and nasty stomach later that night were not that fun
The other batches I just drank at around 14% after running through with finings
They weren't as bad but they still gave me some of the worst hangovers I've ever had
Won't be trying it ever again...

Latest posts

Back