Success - Swamp Cooler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DzRBenson

Reaction score
Well,

My first 2 brews seem to have worked well, however at a bit higher temps than I would have liked, So last week I picked up a 90ltr esky to create a Swamp Cooler.

And last night the brew began a Mexican Cervesa with lime, anyway got it all set and the temp was 26-27c, placed it in the swamp cooler over night and woke up this morning to 20c brew, great so changed the ice, half way thru a 32c day in Sydney the brew is sitting between 14-16c. So I had to remove some ice. I would say this is a success, I want to get it sitting between 16-18 and I will be happy.

Will post some photo's tonight, but pretty much its a huge esky, with my fermenter placed in one side of it around that I have 2 2ltr coke bottles of ice, and 1 1.25ltr bottle of ice. and then the esky has 3 dividers in it that are made up of the blue ice that can be taken out and frozen, and I freeze 2 and use 1 and alternate

All of this is covered with an old sleeping bag apart from the air lock, So for $40 for the esky off gumtree and empty bottles, I am very happy and now am excited knowing I can brew a good amount off different type of beers.

Rock on! This shall improve your beer with good temp control.

+1 after good ingredients temperature control is the most important factor for making good consistent beers. Now you can start thinking about which yeasts to use.

Yeah, this new brew has gone down with US-05, very excited

+1 after good ingredients temperature control is the most important factor for making good consistent beers. Now you can start thinking about which yeasts to use.

I'm using the swamp cooler as well. Using a plastic tub with a few ice bottles and a some sodium met just for a bit of peace of mind about nasties.

Switching bottles every two-three hours keeps the temp between 10-14 degrees with ease. Lager time boi.

Took a few photo's this morning, well here it is.

My $40 Swamp Cooler with one of the kids old sleeping bags, I was using 3 Ice Bottles and 1 Ice Divider, but had to remove some as on the 31c day that just past, the brew was at 12-14c.

So now its nicely around 16c, The Cooler can hold 2 fermenters with enough Ice to keep them both below 16.

IMG_3064.JPG

IMG_3063.JPG

Using this for my next brew. Just setting it up in the trough though, with ice. I was going to cover with a towel, but we have some old sleeping bags that need a purpose, so thanks =).

$40 for the cooler? I bought a second hand bar fridge for $50 and a controller for around $30 (I think)

If you already had the cooler, ignore me and congrats on the ingenuity :p

Bunnings have bins for $10 im sure you could use them for the same purpose but the bonus is you get a lid.

Yes you could use bunnings bins, however a faster rotation of ice would be needed due to the non insualtion, plus on non brewing days, I can use the esky for its true purpose.

Cooling the drinks :)

Bunnings have bins for $10 im sure you could use them for the same purpose but the bonus is you get a lid.

Back