Style Of The Week 22/8/07 - Munich Dunkel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a danish lager yeast at home would that be okay to use?

danish lager huh? well if its a clean ferment yeast then why not. cant do any harm

Katie I would say that it depends a lot on your grainbill. If you use a lot of Crystal, Dark Munich and/or Melanoidin malts it should be a good one to try. If you are going for a more boring grainbill without the richer, sweeter malts, you would be better off with another yeast. Having said that, I wouldn't be at all worried to use it at least once

Cheers....

So ive got the yeast organised just need to work the rest out LOL! Im working backwards.

KT there's been a few munich dunkle recipes added recently. I think there was 2 or 3 in the Vic case swap. maybe have a look at them.

I could bottle up sample of my caseswap dunkle and send it over but its an extract version. so not that helpful. although you would notice that it suffers slightly from not having Melanoidin malt in it.

I brewed my Munkle Dunkle on the weekend... What a interesting chill experience anyhow.

How dark or should I say light can a dunkle be!

I used munich i and caramunich i ...

Its seems quite light out of the fermenter.

Kegged my latest Dunkel (Katie, CM2 - I assume your spelling error is deliberate and an in joke?).

Very malty, lots of bready flavours/aromas - only used a bittering addition. I used carafa instead of caramunich.

First use of the german bock yeast (WLP833) and am very impressed.

Just need to get the carb level up a bit, english carb levels don't seem to do it justice :p

Not sure about CM2 but yes a joke!

so Dr I thought you were going to answer my question.

Okay now Im thinking it could of being carafa. I know the next one will be munich 1, carafa 1 and vienna.

Umm Im rambling so how light can a munkle dunkle be?

im still struggling to determine what spelling mistake!!!

SRM: 14-28 : Deep copper to dark brown, often with a red or garnet tint. Creamy, light to medium tan head. Usually clear, although murky unfiltered versions exist. from bjcp of course

edit:

ahh ok i see dunkle instead of dunkel. nah mines not a joke just shithouse spelling on my behalf.

Color is variable and doesnt lose you too many points in a comp beer. More about the beer than the color. I have one on tap,
went something like
L/Munich
C/Munich2
Carafa1
Choc
Melanoiden
Acidulated

Bittering hops only. Wyeast2308.

Its a great color, ummm beerbottle brown with a distintive red hue

Cheers guys it certainly looked like that in the pot it was beautiful. Its kind of the colour of peanut butter now! And tasting like butterscotch!

ill let you know the exact tommorow. in my brew book

Katie,

Is it the one you PM'd me about last week? If it is it's this one

IMO it will be a nice beer

(10) MUNICH DUNKEL

2500g Munich Light Malt
2250 Vienna Malt
250 Carafa Special 1
20BU Tettnang Hops, 25g Soak,10g Dry Hop
Wyeast Bavarian Lager Yeast

Rook

Katie,

Is it the one you PM'd me about last week? If it is it's this one

IMO it will be a nice beer

(10) MUNICH DUNKEL

2500g Munich Light Malt
2250 Vienna Malt
250 Carafa Special 1
20BU Tettnang Hops, 25g Soak,10g Dry Hop
Wyeast Bavarian Lager Yeast

Rook

No I changed it drrrrr! That one next time.

Is it normal for a lager to have the butterscotch flavour at first? then it clear up?

I can vouch for the Munich lager Wyeast strain.. very nice. I went for Striaght Munich malt with 1.5% Carafa. single infusion @ 67 deg. To achieve mashout i did a decoction to get more of the melanoidens happening.

The beer turned out well, the results of vicbrew will ultimately tell the story with this one. It was also a beer i made before i began water additions so i did some tweaking with it afetr i transfered it to the bright keg, post 4 months of lagering. I did a side by side with and without some calcium chloride in the glass. All i can say is i can now taste the differene with chloride additions. The flavour was somewhat smoother, and seemed to up the maltiness. It just had alot more malt presence. I should have done a blind triangle taste test but I beleiev it was signifigant enough to tell the diff. If you cand o a calcium chloride addtion into the keg, go for it! I'd hoot for around 70-100ppm of Chloride.

Butterscotch is indicative of diacetyl. Not having used the danish lager yeast i cant comment on it.

Mine doesnt* have diacetyl and i didnt do a diacetyl rest (pitched warm, WLP833, 3 weeks primary, 4+ weeks at 1C).

Cheers
DrSmurto

* my diacetyl detecting taste tester is yet to taste this beer and comment. i cant detect diacetyl or at least, not as butterscotch. The one beer i have had that was full of diacetyl used the american ale II yeast (WY1272). None of my lagers have had it.

Is it normal for a lager to have the butterscotch flavour at first? then it clear up?

That would be Diacetyl, it may be accentuated by crystal malt if you have any. If its still in the fermenter, at the end of fermentation warm it up to ambient temps 16-18deg~ for a couple of days just to help the yeast clean up after itself, this should help reduce the diacetyl. If its already kegged, do the same thing, you might have enough yeast left in the keg to help clean up any precursors like diacetyl.

Cheers!

Back