Style Of The Week 22/8/07 - Munich Dunkel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so long as its tastes good who cares? unless your entering it in a comp? recipe looked ok to me.

so long as its tastes good who cares? unless your entering it in a comp? recipe looked ok to me.

It was going to go in a comp. Doesnt have to will be a occy now! why didnt it go the colour of garnets! Somebody tell me!

I used .2kg of Carafa Special II at around 800 EBC, and it has come out to be very reminiscent of a ruby in colour. Maybe the Caramunich is a bit light colour-wise, although I would say it would still taste fantastic being a Munich Dunkel anyway, I can't get enough of it!

Crundle

Pitched the yeast (WLP833) into my latest dunkel.

Only did a single infusion this time - 65C for 90 mins

92% wey munich II
5% wey melanoidin
3% wey carafa spec II
Hersbrucker to 26 IBU

A little concerned after reading through this thread that i may have gone overboard with the malt although i did mash low. :eek:

Can a dunkel be too malty?

I was thinking of doing this recipe at some stage

linky

But I don't have any munich II only munich I. Is there a BIG difference between the two? I have previously been told no, but just want to double check.

Cheers
Phil

It's just a few degrees darker Phil, so just a bit more of the Mun 1 if you want color.

well its 99% munich II and 1% carafa special II. Do I just up the carafa special II to compensate for the colour difference? I was thinking of going 98/2 Munich I/carafa II special.

Regardless...it will still produce a beer that is within the guidelines...

Cheers
Phil

Phil - are you coming along to the Alt judge-off next weekend?

Even if you dont have an Alt you are more than welcome to join in.

I'll have the Munich Dunkel from a few posts up on tap. Its munich II rather than my normal munich I. Not bad but i am biaised!

Will also have an Dusseldorf alt and a dunkelweizen - german dark beer fest! :chug:

EDIT - my dunkel is much darker than Braukaisers but still within the guidelines.... i think....

So even after making my way up to beerbelly to get brew supplies, I forgot to get hops for my brew day tomorrow. I was going to go with some tettnang, but have to go with something else now that I have on hand.

So for a munich dunkel, which hops would you use out of the ones I have on hand?

NS
NB
EKG
Galaxy
Warrior
Centennial
Cascade
Amarillo
Chinook
Columbus
D saaz

Cheers
Phil

If you only do a 60 min addition then you could get away with the northern brewer.

I had a feeling that was the one that I was going to have to go with...

Revised grain bill
95/3/2 Munich/Melanoiden/Carafa II
1.048 OG (16.2 SRM)
NB 18 IBU @ 60

Mash at 66.5 degrees.

WL833 at 12 degrees.

I'm getting ready for my once a year lager, and it will be a Munich Dunkel this year.

I have no idea whether this will make anything like an authentic dunkel, but this is what I've punched into BeerSmith so far:

4000.00 gm Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 81.63 %
500.00 gm Munich 2 (25.0 EBC) Grain 10.20 %
200.00 gm Carared (43.0 EBC) Grain 4.08 %
100.00 gm Chocolate (1200.0 EBC) Grain 2.04 %
100.00 gm Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 2.04 %
55.00 gm Tettnang [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 24.8 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Southern German Lager (White Labs #WLP838) [Starter 5000 ml]

Any thoughts on this, anything I should drop or add?

Drop the carared. I used crystal in my first dunkel and found it too sweet.

Enough choc/carafa for colour adjust is all you need.

Will do. Thanks Doc.
I don't want any more choc in there than I have now, so will add the requisite Carafe Special II to get the colour back on spec.

Will do. Thanks Doc.
I don't want any more choc in there than I have now, so will add the requisite Carafe Special II to get the colour back on spec.

I had 150g of carafa spec II in my last batch and that was right at the top end of the colour range.

So if you drop the choc you could get away with 100g of carafa

Latest posts

Back