Style Of The Week 22/8/07 - Munich Dunkel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is. Great malt profile and aroma, however I think for next time I'll take newguy's suggestion and ditch the 20min Mittlefruh addition and just stick with one addition at 60min. The Hallertau is nice but next one will have Tettnanger. The Hallertau 20min addition adds just a touch too much hop flavour late.

Cheers.

Munich_Dunkel_002.jpg

Looks great Duff. How does it taste

My last brew was 50/50 JW light munich/JW trad ale

Split the batch and fermented one with WLP800 Pilsner yeast and the other with a WYeast octoberfest lager blend.

The pilsner came out great buy the end of the keg :(

Drinking the octoberfest now and it has a real honey taste to it. Maybe the yeast accentuated the munich more. Prefered the pilsner though

Kabooby :)

Thinking about making a few german beers after my run of ESBs ends.....

What yeasts are appropriate for this style? Would using the weizen dry yeast be out of style. should i be using a germna lager yeast instead? I have some wyeast 2000 and 1007?

Having read the guidelines, decoctions are common so would a touch of melanoidin be out of place with a bit of choc for colour and the rest munich?

Looking back at my first 14 AGs, its dominated by APAs and ESBs so its time to step out of the comfort zone.

A lager yeast is definitely the right one for a Munich Dunkel. The confusion is that a dunkelweizen can sometimes be called simply a dunkel too, and that one uses a wheat beer yeast. 1007 might get you close actually, but in theory you do need a lager yeast.

Definitely good to try brewing different things IMO. Go for it! :icon_chickcheers:

What yeasts are appropriate for this style? Would using the weizen dry yeast be out of style. should i be using a germna lager yeast instead? I have some wyeast 2000 and 1007?

Having read the guidelines, decoctions are common so would a touch of melanoidin be out of place with a bit of choc for colour and the rest munich?

Looking back at my first 14 AGs, its dominated by APAs and ESBs so its time to step out of the comfort zone.

Good timing Dr, i am going to try one of these in another month and am looking at using Wy 2124 yeast as i can also use it for Pilsners, Shwarz, octoberfests and Helles all of which i want to brew over winter.

Rook

Dr S, Whitelabs 833 or Wyeast 2206. No other choices really if you want a full on malty dunkel. YMMV!

C&B
TDA

Actually never made one Stuster. Yes I should be horsewhipped. :blink:

My experiences with them are from a Munich trip where they're all basically great. I particularly liked Augustiner's and particularly Ayinger's. Hacker Pschorr ain't too bad either. Plan to make one sooner rather than later.

Was actually contemplating a Czech Dark Lager or Dunkel as my next beer... Hmmm. B)

Warren -

ive seen a few dunkle recipes with decotions... is there a way to avoid that for us lowly newbs or is it simple enough?

Troy

Well, I've made one but never had a 'real' one. Maybe I should be horsewhipped too. :)

I may give this another go this winter. I do have some Tettnang in my stockpile.

Well, I've made one but never had a 'real' one. Maybe I should be horsewhipped too. :)

I may give this another go this winter. I do have some Tettnang in my stockpile.

Maybe you and warren should whip each other :unsure:

Rook

Maybe you and warren should whip each other :unsure:

Rook

To quote Groucho Marx... I'd horsewhip him if I only had a horse. :D

Troydo. I guess it's like most (but not all) German Lagers. Decoction would be nice and authentic but you could make something less challenging by subbing a bit of melanoidin malt.

Warren -

Seen one suggestion of 17% melanoidin in a dunkel.......... Link

This is from Jamil's show

5.5kg Munich malt
170 grams Carafa Special 2

mashed at 68c

3 hop additions

WLP 833 fermented at 10c

Doesn't get much easier than that

Rook

ive seen a few dunkle recipes with decotions... is there a way to avoid that for us lowly newbs or is it simple enough?

If you can get your hands on light munich malt, anywhere from 70-100% of that along with pils or even 2 row for the balance will come out close enough.

If you do try a decoction, I'll warn you right now that it will be frustrating the first time. When I tried it the first time, my normal brew day was 6 hours long; that more than doubled to 13. I was pissed off, discouraged, and tired but the beer turned out fantastic.

You don't have to do a full triple decoction to get the full decoction flavour. A single decoction will suffice, either from the protein rest to the sacch rest or sacch rest to mashout. For the protein -> sacch rest, pull about 1/3rd of the thickest part of the mash (volume-wise) and for the sacch -> mashout, pull 1/3rd of the thinnest. Dough in at about 1.3 - 1.5l/lb, which amounts to 2.9 - 3.3l/kg. If you use 15l of water to dough in, pull 5l for the decoction. Put the decoction on your stove/burner/whatever to boil. If the decoction is thick, stir like mad so that it doesn't scorch. Once it starts to really boil well, you don't have to stir as there is enough movement to avoid scorching. You don't have to stir a thin decoction nearly as much. Let the decoction boil for 5 minutes, then dump it back into the mash.

I've done a lot of decoctions (around 15-20 or so), but I stopped doing them quite a few years ago. Not because I don't like the results, but because my system has changed and decoctions are now difficult for me to do. From my experience, the 1/3rd rule is enough to hit the next target quite easily. The biggest thing to remember is to not get too worked up if you miss your temperature target. The beer will still come out fine.

I have only done 3 decoctions, but it would seem to me that doing a thin decoction to hit your mash out temp would not add any of the decoction flavour because there is no grain in the boil?

I have only done 3 decoctions, but it would seem to me that doing a thin decoction to hit your mash out temp would not add any of the decoction flavour because there is no grain in the boil?

Thin doesn't mean that it's all liquid, just mostly liquid. There's still grain, and you still get the decoction flavour. It's just not as intense as what you get from a full triple decoction.

I think the ideal way to do it is with a thick decoction, as this reduces the likelihood of extracting tannins, but more importantly it does not fatally reduce the amount of available enzymes, which are mostly to be found in the liquid portion.

As well as the flavours it can add, I would like to add that I think a decoction is definitely worthwhile in a beer with 100% Munich or Vienna as the base malt, as these already have a low diastatic power and the boiling action of the decoction helps to break down the mushy starches of the thick part.

Just poured a test glass of the Dunkel I kegged earlier today....heaven!! It has a lovely ruby hue and great malty taste.

I'm planning to ignore the keg for a few weeks if possible though it is tasting sooo good already I doubt that will happen :beerbang:

Here's the recipe I used though I (finally) hit near 75% efficiency so added 3L cooled boiled water to the fermenter to lower the OG:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Boil Size: 25.42 L
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 38.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 21.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.39 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 61.95 %
1.70 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 30.97 %
0.19 kg Carafa I (663.9 EBC) Grain 3.54 %
0.19 kg Caramunich III (Weyermann) (139.9 EBC) Grain 3.54 %
43.00 gm Hallertauer [3.70 %] (60 min) Hops 18.0 IBU
10.00 gm Hallertauer [3.70 %] (15 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
10.00 gm Hallertauer [3.70 %] (5 min) Hops 0.8 IBU

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 5.48 kg
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step Add 11.99 L of water at 76.5 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 5.53 L of water and heat to 78.098.0 C

Will probably lower the mash temp for the next batch by 1-2 degrees but certainly can't complain with how this has turned out.

FG was 1.018 so I think thats a bit too high - could this be due to the higher mash temp I used?

cliffo

Back