Style Of The Week 22/8/07 - Munich Dunkel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FG was 1.018 so I think thats a bit too high - could this be due to the higher mash temp I used?

67C is not that high. I'd probably have expected it to finish a couple of points lower. Are you sure of your thermometer? And what yeast did you use?

It's a lovely style for winter drinking, isn't it. :icon_drool2:

67C is not that high. I'd probably have expected it to finish a couple of points lower. Are you sure of your thermometer? And what yeast did you use?

It's a lovely style for winter drinking, isn't it. :icon_drool2:

Yeast was S189 lager yeast, not the ideal for the style but does the job.

I got the same reading from a digital probe thermo as the mashmaster weldless so can only assume they are correct though might pay to do some sort of calibration.

Regardless, I'm very happy with the outcome so it will be an enjoyable 20 litres of drinking to come.

Probably a very stupid question but - do you 'need' to lager a dunkel?

Not a a stupid question at all.

The first taste would suggest there is no need for lagering a Dunkel though I guess I'm thinking along regular pale lager lines whereby time lagering greatly improves the beer.

Is anyone able to answer DrS's question?

cliffo

I had to calibrate both of my mashmaster thermometers a few degrees when I got them

Kabooby :)

Probably a very stupid question but - do you 'need' to lager a dunkel?

In my experience, lagering does tend to smooth the flavour profile a bit, as it does for ales as well. No matter what the beer (ale or lager), they tend to get better tasting the longer they've been sitting in my serving fridge.

Not sure if I answered your question or not?

In my experience, lagering does tend to smooth the flavour profile a bit, as it does for ales as well. No matter what the beer (ale or lager), they tend to get better tasting the longer they've been sitting in my serving fridge.

Not sure if I answered your question or not?

I agree, beers tend to get smooth out the longer they sit. Always a matter of can I hold off getting stuck into them though hehehehehe

Kabooby - might have to check the mashmaster and see if its still accurate or needs adjustment

cliffo

Just poured a test glass of the Dunkel I kegged earlier today....heaven!! It has a lovely ruby hue and great malty taste.

I'm planning to ignore the keg for a few weeks if possible though it is tasting sooo good already I doubt that will happen :beerbang:

Here's the recipe I used though I (finally) hit near 75% efficiency so added 3L cooled boiled water to the fermenter to lower the OG:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Boil Size: 25.42 L
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 38.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 21.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.39 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 61.95 %
1.70 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 30.97 %
0.19 kg Carafa I (663.9 EBC) Grain 3.54 %
0.19 kg Caramunich III (Weyermann) (139.9 EBC) Grain 3.54 %
43.00 gm Hallertauer [3.70 %] (60 min) Hops 18.0 IBU
10.00 gm Hallertauer [3.70 %] (15 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
10.00 gm Hallertauer [3.70 %] (5 min) Hops 0.8 IBU

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 5.48 kg
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step Add 11.99 L of water at 76.5 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 5.53 L of water and heat to 78.098.0 C

Will probably lower the mash temp for the next batch by 1-2 degrees but certainly can't complain with how this has turned out.

FG was 1.018 so I think thats a bit too high - could this be due to the higher mash temp I used?

cliffo

Hi cliffo,

saw the picture of your Dunkel in the WITG thread. Looks fantastic!!
What yeast did you use mate?

C&B
TDA

Hi cliffo,

saw the picture of your Dunkel in the WITG thread. Looks fantastic!!
What yeast did you use mate?

C&B
TDA

TDA,

I used W34/70 (2 packets).

I mentioned in another post that I used S189 but double checked my records and definately used 34/70.

cliffo

Hey everyone just recently (as in on Friday night) discovered the joys of the Munich Dunkel at the Lowenbrau and thought it amazing. Since than been reading style guidelines and threads (inparticular this one) and have come up with a draft recipe I'd like people to review and make any possible recommendations.

Grain Bill

4.5kg of munich
0.25kg of flaked barley
0.25kg of Carafa 1
0.25kg of Melanoiden

For hops I'm thinking

40g of Hallertauer (2.1%) at 60min
10g of super alpha (12.2%) at 60min
10g of Hallertauer at 20min

Sorry I forgot to add my efficiency is at 70% and I plan on mashing about 64-66'C

and I'm thinking W34/70 for yeast

Anyone done this style before and can see any issues with my recipe? I wont be doing it till the weekend.

Thanks Dave.

I haven't made one...yet. Don't understand what you're trying to achieve with the Carafa and flaked Barley. As you may have read, it can be made with 100% of a light munich (~12Lov). I think the melanoidon could be a nice touch though. A nice liquid lager yeast would be good as well, but the W34/70 will work. Don't know what Super Alpha tastes like either, but you really want a neutral sort of high alpha hop that will blend with the Hallertau, there's one that's related (magnum ?).

Grain Bill

4.5kg of munich
0.25kg of flaked barley
0.25kg of Carafa 1
0.25kg of Melanoiden

For hops I'm thinking

40g of Hallertauer (2.1%) at 60min
10g of super alpha (12.2%) at 60min
10g of Hallertauer at 20min

That's a lot of carafa. If your intention was to use it for colour adjustment, then cut way back to about 50g at most. I do 10 gallon batches and when I use it for colour, I usually add only about 100g at most. Personally, I'd leave it out altogether. The flaked barley probably won't do much; you certainly won't taste it at that low concentration. Are you adding it to beef up the head of the finished beer? If so, it isn't necessary. The melanoiden malt should be a good addition.

If you're really concerned about getting a darker colour, add 250g of caramunich.

The 10g of Hallertauer for 20 minutes - you won't taste/smell it in the finished beer at all. This style is definitely malt-centered, so it's probably a good idea to omit it altogether. Brew it once with just a bittering hop addition and see what it turns out like. If you find that you'd like a bit of a hop presence, then on the next batch (there will DEFINITELY be a next batch ;) ) adjust your recipe accordingly.

Once you brew this, you'll forever belong to the "dark side" - the munich malt dark side. B) Munich malt is my favourite malt; nothing pains me more than tasting a bock, dunkel or doppelbock made without it. :angry:

cliffo

cliffo looks like a great recipe! one thing i have noticed with using munich in large percentages as a base - it tends to add a couple of points to your fg. along with the 67C mash and the caramunich that would make 1018 about right. who cares though if it tastes good.

cliffo looks like a great recipe! one thing i have noticed with using munich in large percentages as a base - it tends to add a couple of points to your fg. along with the 67C mash and the caramunich that would make 1018 about right. who cares though if it tastes good.

I'm very happy with how it turned out and it just keeps getting better in the keg as well.

This will become one of my standard brews - should be just the thing over winter.

Thanks for advice Mika and Newguy

Latest update on recipe is

4.5kg of light munich
0.25kg of caramunich
0.25kg of melanoiden

50g of Hallertauer (2.1%) 60min (wish it my batch had a higher alpha rating)
5g of super alpha (12.2%) 60min

made to 21L with W34/70

And don't worry newguy, there'll be plenty of these coming being made. Hopefully it wont take to many takes to get a great recipe sorted. I'll probably order ingredients tomorrow night or the next if I don't get anymore recipe changes. Thanks for tips, hope this recipe looks more promising.

Dave :)

Dave,

The recipe looks like a winner. Good luck with it!

Hmmmm, have run out of pils and ale malt but have 10kg or so of Wey Munich I.

And some hallertau and tettnang plugs in the freezer.

And a pack of 2206 in the fridge.

I think the decision has been made :p

Was thinking Munich I with enough carafa spec II to adjust colour and then a single or maybe even double decoction.

I have some wey vienna lying around too.......

Since hop flavour/aroma is out of style in a dunkel what are peoples thoughts on FWH instead of a 60 min addition?

What an odd coincidence...I just dropped into my local brewshop this arvo and bought some improvised ingredients that should make something similiar to a Munich Dunkel (or Bock).
1.5kg Pale Malt Extract
1.5kg Amber Malt Extract
1.0kg light Munich grain
150g Chocolate grain

Not sure what it'll make, but a dunkel does sound close.
I have a tiny amount (15g) of Sticklebract lying around that could be used for bittering, but I have a feeling i'll need some more hops!

I think if your alpha rating is up there, your 15g of Stricklebract will probably be enough. You only need an IBU of 18 - 28 I think to be in style. Not that being in style is completely important.

At least to som,e people :rolleyes:

Dave.

Seen one suggestion of 17% melanoidin in a dunkel.......... Link

Being fairly new to AG I haven't made this style before, nor have I used melanoidin, but these recipes are making my mouth water. However I do have both munich malt and melanoidin in my stores begging to be used.

So is 17% melanoidin a recommended amount for this beer or should I tone it down a bit?

Cheers.

Back