Style Of The Week 22/8/07 - Munich Dunkel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being fairly new to AG I haven't made this style before, nor have I used melanoidin, but these recipes are making my mouth water. However I do have both munich malt and melanoidin in my stores begging to be used.

So is 17% melanoidin a recommended amount for this beer or should I tone it down a bit?

Cheers.

I've picked up some excellent tips from the Jamil Show, but sometimes I wonder about the amount of specialty malt he includes in recipes. This is a case in point.17% melanoidin in anything sounds like an insanely large amount. I'd keep it to about 5% myself. More than that and I've found it overwhelming.

Anyone used dark Munich in this style? I was thinking 50/50 dark Munich/Pils, and a sprinkle of Carafa for extra colour.

Anyone used dark Munich in this style? I was thinking 50/50 dark Munich/Pils, and a sprinkle of Carafa for extra colour.

I've got a Munich Dunkel with almost all Wey Munich II with just a touch of carafa that's just slowly carbing up at the moment. It seems good so far. I think you could definitely do half and half as well.

I totally agree with you on the Melanoidin as well. Can't imagine using 17% of it. :eek:

I've got a Munich Dunkel with almost all Wey Munich II with just a touch of carafa that's just slowly carbing up at the moment. It seems good so far. I think you could definitely do half and half as well.

I totally agree with you on the Melanoidin as well. Can't imagine using 17% of it. :eek:

Yes, it's lunacy. And as this style uses a large whack of Munich, it would be like adding a few tablespoons of dark brown sugar to your bowl of treacle. :icon_vomit:

Yes, it's lunacy. And as this style uses a large whack of Munich, it would be like adding a few tablespoons of dark brown sugar to your bowl of treacle. :icon_vomit:

95% light munich and 5% melanoidin it will be then, thanks!

95% light munich and 5% melanoidin it will be then, thanks!

The only thing I'd say about that is it will probably come out a little on the light side colour-wise. I'd add 100g or so of a dark malt as well, preferably (but not necessarily) Carafa Special.

I have brewed a couple of Munich Dunkels and my favourite had just under 50% Weyermann Dark Munich.

The other one used 99% Weyermann Dark Munich and the FG ended up far too high for a true Munich Dunkel.

Here is the recipe I preferred:

Dumkopf Dunkel
Munich Dunkel

Type: All Grain
Date: 13/08/2004
Batch Size: 23.50 L
Brewer: Mark Rasheed
Boil Size: 29.00 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.40 kg Weyermann Munich I (15.8 EBC) Grain 47.5 %
2.40 kg Weyermann Munich II (23.6 EBC) Grain 47.5 %
0.20 kg Weyermann Caraaroma (350.7 EBC) Grain 4.0 %
0.05 kg JWM Chocolate Malt (750.6 EBC) Grain 1.0 %
35.00 gm Tettnang [4.60%] (60 min) Hops 20.5 IBU
15.00 gm Tettnang [4.60%] (15 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
1 Pkgs German Bock Lager (White Labs #WLP833) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 22.8 IBU
Est Color: 34.6 EBC

C&B
TDA

What hops did you use TDA?

Still havent had a reply to my question about FWH. Is it appropriate for this style or should i stick to a single addition at 60 mins?

Have 2206 on the stir plate ready to brew this weekend. B)

Seems like it might work to me, Dr S. Should give the low levels of hop aroma/flavour that you can get from a small, late addition.

What hops did you use TDA?

Still havent had a reply to my question about FWH. Is it appropriate for this style or should i stick to a single addition at 60 mins?

Have 2206 on the stir plate ready to brew this weekend. B)

Obviously Tettnanger on the one I posted the recipe for.

Will have to check the hops I used in the other one tonight and get back to you.
Any noble German hop would do and in a Dunkel I would just be adding a 60 minute addition.

C&B
TDA

Played around with the recipe last night as the partner was watching 'So you think you can dance'. :angry:

Using up open packets of hops hence the 3 varities!

Recipe: 79 Munich Dunkel
Brewer: DrSmurto
Asst Brewer:
Style: Munich Dunkel
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Boil Size: 33.55 L
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 38.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 25.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
5.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 94.02 %
0.25 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 4.27 %
0.10 kg Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (817.6 EBC) Grain 1.71 %
10.00 gm Pearle [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
25.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2.60 %] (60 min)Hops 6.0 IBU
30.00 gm Tettnang [4.30 %] (60 min) Hops 13.0 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206) [StarteYeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Decoction Mash, Double
Total Grain Weight: 5.85 kg
----------------------------
Decoction Mash, Double
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
25 min Protein Rest Add 16.00 L of water at 56.1 C 50.0 C
40 min Saccharification Decoct 5.63 L of mash and boil it 64.0 C
20 min Saccharification Decoct 3.35 L of mash and boil it 70.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 9.00 L of water at 94.5 C 78.0 C

Excited about this one. Will use the yeast cake to try my hand at a maibock......

The recipe looks perfect!

You have got to love the smell of boiling mash! Soooooo goood. :icon_drool2:

Double decoction didnt take anywhere as long as i thought it would. Added maybe an hour and a half to the brew day. Will give a triple decoction a go with my next pilsner

The cat loved it too, she was licking the jug i used to scoop out the mash.

How did this one turn out Stuster? I'm thinking of something similar and was wondering if all munich II was going to be over the top.

It's definitely a drinkable beer, goatherder. I like it but I guess it doesn't have quite enough complexity in the malts for a Munich Dunkel. I think I entered one in the Castle Hill show (it was a bit of a rush to get to the HBS) so I might be wrong and I'll let you know what the judges say about it.

Unless of course I didn't enter it in the end. :lol:

After a couple of months' brewing hiatus, I plan on doing this one tomorrow:

Equilibrium Dunkel
Munich Dunkel

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 24.00 L
Brewer: Blackbock
Boil Size: 29.41 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Blackbox Brewery III

Ingredients

5.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 91.4 %
0.20 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 3.7 %
0.15 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (49.3 EBC) Grain 2.7 %
0.12 kg Pale Chocolate (Bairds) (600.0 EBC) Grain 2.2 %
18.00 gm Green Bullet [10.00%] (60 min) Hops 22.4 IBU
30.00 gm Saazer [4.00%] (60 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

Yeast: WLP838 German Bock Lager

Although the late hops are not usual, the Saazer will be thrown in to get rid of some old plugs I have in the freezer, I doubt they will add much aroma anyways..

Drinking a dunkel made with 2308, a great beer, malty but dry. Going to make another batch next week using 833, meant to be even better. Lovely style

This question was asked earlier but not really anwsered.

Do you treat a Munich Dunkel the same as a lager at fermentation time. ?

This question was asked earlier but not really anwsered.

Do you treat a Munich Dunkel the same as a lager at fermentation time. ?

Munich Dunkel is most definitely a lager style. No room for esters in this one! It's all about the MALT!

Latest posts

Back