Style Of The Week 14/11/07 - Iipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking at doing an IIPA as soon as the 5 pounds of hops from the states arrive. :beerbang: Pretty set on the grain bill as it's reputably the one that Mikkeller use in their single hop range.

However i'll be no chilling this one and i'm over dicking around with French pressing and making hop teas etc. So a little concerned that No Chilling may not suit the style, but want to keep things simple with a big addition of cube hopping counted as a 15min addition.

Anyone done an IIPA with no chilling?

Here's what i was thinking;

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Triple Hop IIPA - Chinook/Amarillo/Cascade
Brewer: Argon
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 41.00 L
Boil Size: 50.25 L
Estimated OG: 1.075 SG
Estimated Color: 12.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 101.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.20 kg Pilsner Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (1.8 SGrain 65.71 %
1.60 kg Carawheat (Weyermann) (50.0 SRM) Grain 11.43 %
1.60 kg Munich I (7.6 SRM) Grain 11.43 %
1.60 kg Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 11.43 %
20.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.20 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
60.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (60 min) Hops 34.6 IBU
150.00 gm Amarillo [8.20 %] (Cube Hop = 15 min) Hops 30.8 IBU
60.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (Cube Hop = 15 min) Hops 17.2 IBU
150.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (Cube Hop = 15 min) Hops 18.8 IBU
2 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 14.00 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 35.00 L of water at 71.5 C 66.0 C

I've made that recipe using cube hops, and it was amazing. I changed out the grain bill by using Simpsons Golden Naked Oats (which I can't recommend more highly) in place of rolled oats.

I did this one single hopped with Chinook. 45g at 60 minutes, 90g in the cube and 45g dry hopped.

Go for it, it works nicely.

I'm looking at doing an IIPA as soon as the 5 pounds of hops from the states arrive. :beerbang: Pretty set on the grain bill as it's reputably the one that Mikkeller use in their single hop range.

However i'll be no chilling this one and i'm over dicking around with French pressing and making hop teas etc. So a little concerned that No Chilling may not suit the style, but want to keep things simple with a big addition of cube hopping counted as a 15min addition.

Anyone done an IIPA with no chilling?

Here's what i was thinking;

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com

snip

snip

You are going to lose a metric shitload of your wort to the rehydrated cube hops. I recently did an IIPA with ~150gm of dry cube hops, Centenial cascade and Amarillo, and I only managed to get about 13.5 litres into the fermenter from a full 16 lt cube.

I strain all my cube hops through a big, fine, sieve to reduce hop matter into the fermenter trub, but I wasn't willing to let it drip wort for the next hour, all the time open to infection.

I cube hop in stocking material, fish them out with a coathanger when I decant off the wort into the fermenter then give the stocking a squeeze into the fermenter. Never had an issue doing that and get great results. I don't cram the stocking though, and I stick to about 30g max per segment (I cut them around 30cm lengths and tie off the ends). It's very little hassle throwing two or three in the cube and squeezing them out at the end. Works with pellets too!

Edit: It's _important_ you limit the amount of hops per stocking segment, otherwise they swell too much and it's a nightmare to get out of the cube.

Estimated IBU: 101.4 IBU

------------
20.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.20 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
60.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (60 min) Hops 34.6 IBU

Argon, not trying to open up a can of worms re no chillings & IBU's gained in the initial hot transfer from kettle to cube, however: I would be inclined to increase your 60min addition, as I would wager you wont get the cube hop bitterness level you desire assuming 15min boil for a NC Cube hope addition.

Just my 2c - and I know different brewers have differing opinions on NC vs Chilling and the bitterness level apparent (or not)... :ph34r:

My IIPA I have in the planning I will chill for sure, but I hope this goes well for you.

Nothing like using half a kilo of hops! (albeit in a double batch)

Good luck with the brew.

Argon, not trying to open up a can of worms re no chillings & IBU's gained in the initial hot transfer from kettle to cube, however: I would be inclined to increase your 60min addition, as I would wager you wont get the cube hop bitterness level you desire assuming 15min boil for a NC Cube hope addition.

Fair point... i waver between considering cube hopping as a 15min or a 10min addition. Haven't settled on either as yet. Lately the 10mins is probably about spot on, so i'll adjust for that. Although, aiming for 100IBU if i go over or under i'm probably not going to notice.

I could always do a hop tea if i find it lacking... but to be honest i probably couldn't be bothered.

You are going to lose a metric shitload of your wort to the rehydrated cube hops.

I'll have to keep that in mind actually... cause the hops are coming from the states i'll probably lose a little more than a metric shit tone... more like a short-shit-ton ;)

I cube hop in stocking material, fish them out with a coathanger when I decant off the wort into the fermenter then give the stocking a squeeze into the fermenter.

Thanks for the tip mate... that's obviously a big concern with chucking so much in the cube. I've got plenty of voile around so i'll knock up some bags for the cubes. It'll be a good exercise to see how much hop i can cram in there.

After being inspired by green flash IIPA, im giving one a go. Ive done a few 10 min IPA's ( 6%, then 7% ) which have turned out great so im doing similar, but "bigger".

45.6% Simpsons GP
45.6% BEST pilz malt
6.3% Wey munich 1
2.5% Wey abbey malt

Columbus FWH
Columbus 10 mins

US05 ( yeast cake from 5% galaxy ale )

76 IBU.

having enjoyed the big dipper and SN torpedeo. I made my own.... Although not liking the final colour. i need to change the malts around for an amber tinge.

Okay I've enjoyed quite a few double IPAs lately and with my 25th brew coming up I may as well make it my excuse to make a big hoppy ******* of an ale. So since I haven't done a double IPA lately I've just based the grain bill loosely on my APA & IPA base that I like - minus the crystal to prevent over-sweetness.

Method-wise: I BIAB in a 50L so my aim to prevent horrible efficency is to do two single mashes and then combine them and boil for 120 minutes. Even so I'm aiming for 60% which is 15% less then my normal brews: 3.5-7%. I also have made the batch size 25L so any extra losses due to the amount of hops which still give me at least one keg.

OG: 1.083 ABV: 9.2%
FG: 1.014 EBC: 14.4 - not including boil effect
IBU:159 - dextrose added after boil Size: 25L

Grain Bill:
8kg Maris Otter - 78.8%
1.5kg Munich - 14.1%
0.75kg Dextrose - 7.1%

Hop Schedule: Based on 60% piney (Simcoe and Chinook), 25% citrus & fruity (Amarillo and Centennial) and 15% spicy (Columbus)
5g Simcoe - 90 min
10g Chinook - 60min
10g each of Simcoe and Chinook - 30min (Treated as 45min)
10g each of Amarillo, Centennial and Columbus at 15min (Treated at 30min)
10g each of Simcoe, Chinook, Amarillo, Centennial and Columbus at 5min (Treated as 20min)
30g Chinook, 30g Simcoe, 30g Columbus, 20g Amarillo and 20g Centennial -> Cube Hops (Treated at 15min)
Dry Hop 1 (Resin Hit): 50g Chinook and 50g Simcoe
Dry Hop 2 (Combo of all): 20g Amarillo, 20g Centennial, 25g Columbus, 15g Chinook and 20g Simcoe

For dry-hopping I was thinking DH1 in primary and the DH2 in secondary with the dextrose addition added then to remove the air from the headspace and to minimise fusels during fermentation.

Yeast:
Either buying multiple packets of a US05 or MG West coast or pitching on a yeast cake of an american yeast.

If anyone has any thoughts, feel free to shoot away.

Latest posts

Back