Style Of The Week 11/10/06 - Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its actually been pretty hard to keep this brew as warm as I want even upstairs in a hot house on hot days. A few +30 days ahead here in Melb to help the cause coming up and I just tested the hydro sample just now for correction and it was 29 so thats a good start.

Still going very slowly but as expected into the third week and dropping very slowly. Mashed fairly low so I'm hoping for it to go right down and give me a nice dry saison. This two week wait is murder, it smells great already and looking at it every day is just a tease.

Kegged this one on Thursday. Samples were tasting great..

Rye Saison

Ingredients

3500.00 gm Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.5 EBC) Grain 70.00 %
1000.00 gm Rye Malt (9.3 EBC) Grain 20.00 %
500.00 gm Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 10.00 %
7.50 gm Citra [11.00 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 10.0 IBU
7.50 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 10.4 IBU
20.00 gm Saaz D [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops (Cube) 6.7 IBU
10.00 gm Citra [11.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711-PC) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.53 %
Bitterness: 25.8 IBU
Est Color: 9.8 EBC

You are right about this yeast going like the clappers and then slowing.

It got to 1.010 no worries but is moving very slowly now.......and it's over 30 degrees......c'mon......patience is not a virtue of mine

Finally bottled this one last week. Should be good. Tasted nice and dry out of the fermenter.

Pitched a stout with choc grains and fuggles on top of the yeast cake.....now the temp has dropped so will be a long wait.....

What was your FG?

Mine is at 1009 ish after nearly a month but the temps have dropped a LOT since the start of fermentation so I'll have to warm it up myself I think to finish it off. I'm using the Belgian strain though.

Still a few weeks away from being done I'd still think as I originally planned a 5-6 week ferment.

What was your FG?

Mine is at 1009 ish after nearly a month but the temps have dropped a LOT since the start of fermentation so I'll have to warm it up myself I think to finish it off. I'm using the Belgian strain though.

Still a few weeks away from being done I'd still think as I originally planned a 5-6 week ferment.

Mine got down to 1005. I primed at normal levels as I have heard it will still drop a bit in the bottle.

My coopers tallies should be right with the pressure. On a side note I dropped one full of beer from about a meter an to concrete and it didn't even break, while bottling.

A batch I brewed recently with 3724 (Belgian strain) stopped at 1010 (from 1068) after about 3 days, and has been sitting there for around 3 weeks now without budging. Temps have really cooled off here, so that wouldn't help, but I was expecting a 1 or 2 point drop each week, hard to tell whether it's safe to bottle.

A batch I brewed recently with 3724 (Belgian strain) stopped at 1010 (from 1068) after about 3 days, and has been sitting there for around 3 weeks now without budging. Temps have really cooled off here, so that wouldn't help, but I was expecting a 1 or 2 point drop each week, hard to tell whether it's safe to bottle.

You have done well Melthar1010 is good yes its safe to bottle

Pumpy :)

I'm going to try another Saison this weekend, and after reading "Farmhouse Ales" a while back I was inspired to try a Spelt Saison. I'll use:
66% JW Pilsner
33% Rolled (raw) Spelt

I"m a BIABer, and given that the spelt should already be gelatinized probably just go for a 66deg infusion mash.

As for hopping, I have some NB, Styrian Goldings and Saaz on hand. For a 23 L batch, I was thinking:
20g NB @ 60 min
15g SG @ 30 min
20g Saaz @ 30 min
15g SG @ 10 min
30g Saaz @ 10min

I'll adjust the hops to about ~30-35 IBU once I'm in front of beersmith, but does anyone have an opinion on that hopping schedule?

Then hit it with the French Saison - I would have liked to have tried the Farmhouse Ale which is supposed to be from Brasserie de Blaugies who produce Saison De L'Epeautre. I only have slants of the French Saison though, but I think that the lemony yeast characters should work well with what I think the spelt will taste like (I love spelt bread/pasta etc.).

Comments/criticisms??

I like it. I made something very much along those lines but with the Farmhouse ale yeast. I think the French Saison should work fine. Hops look good. I've used that combination for a saison before and thought it worked well. The one thing I'd change if I were brewing it would be to push those hop additions closer to the end of the boil, maybe at 15 and 0. But it'll work nicely as it is as well.

Finally bottled this one last week. Should be good. Tasted nice and dry out of the fermenter.

Pitched a stout with choc grains and fuggles on top of the yeast cake.....now the temp has dropped so will be a long wait.....

The stout is tasting brilliant from the fermenter. I think this yeast will be my new summer (which lasts for 8 to 9 months here) house yeast. Going to have to play around with other styles and see how it goes. I do like not having to worry about the fridge or keeping the beer at 20 degrees.

This is my latest... I did a double batch and split it. Half went straight to a carboy to clear and the other half was chapitalized with 500g each of dextrose and caramelised raw sugar (1kg total).

Yeast chewed it all up in around 5 days. Then I racked to another carboy to clear and age for a bit longer.

So I should have a batch of 5.5% Regular Saison and 7% Super Saison. I shall be interested to try them side by side and note the differences. I'm guessing I'll like the super version better! :icon_drunk:

Here's the recipe;

Saison Prenez et Lourd

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 45.00 Wort Size (L): 45.00
Total Grain (kg): 9.65
Anticipated OG: 1.052 Plato: 12.93
Anticipated EBC: 15.2
Anticipated IBU: 31.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 79 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
31.1 3.00 kg. Bairds Pearl Great Britain 1.038 5
31.1 3.00 kg. TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt UK 1.037 7
20.7 2.00 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.037 3
10.4 1.00 kg. Bourghul Turkey 1.034 4
5.2 0.50 kg. Weyermann Caraamber Germany 1.037 93
1.0 0.10 kg. Dingemans Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 50
0.5 0.05 kg. JWM Amber Malt Australia 1.038 59

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
25.00 g. Northdown Pellet 9.50 17.2 60 min.
30.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.20 12.4 90 min.
20.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.20 2.0 15 min.
20.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.20 0.0 0 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.00 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale

Warren -

19032010051.jpg

Warren, is that 3726 from the starter I gave you? If so, damn! that's a long time ago, damn fine yeast though.

Hope they bring it out again soon.

Save me a glass of the super saison ? :)

Q

Yah Q. It's still the old trouper... Even when rook's not blowing it up :lol:

Robust little strain. Leave it in the fridge for 7 months and it fires up overnight !

I'll put aside a bottle of the regular and rocket fuel for you if you wish.

Warren -

I'm looking to make the following saison tomorrow...

Grandma's Farm Ale MkII
Size: 19.0 L
Efficiency: 70.0%
Original Gravity: 1.053
Terminal Gravity: 1.008
Alcohol: 5.87%
Bitterness: 29.1

Ingredients:
3.5 kg Joe White Pilsener Malt
0.5 kg Torrified Wheat
0.5 kg Simpsons Golden Naked Oats
0.5 kg Wey Rye Malt

20.0 g B Saaz (7.9%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
7.0 g B Saaz (7.9%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
7.0 g Nelson Sauvin (11.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
7.0 g Nelson Sauvin (11.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min

Wyeast WY3711 French Saison WY3711

I am open to changing the late hopping if anyone thinks that I'm making a mistake.

The stout is tasting brilliant from the fermenter. I think this yeast will be my new summer (which lasts for 8 to 9 months here) house yeast. Going to have to play around with other styles and see how it goes. I do like not having to worry about the fridge or keeping the beer at 20 degrees.

Had a sneaky taste of the Saison Stout.......can definately recommend this yeast for a stout, finishes nice and dry, The great thing is I just dropped the stout on the first Saison yeast cake, too easy.

I'm looking to make the following saison tomorrow...

Grandma's Farm Ale MkII
Size: 19.0 L
Efficiency: 70.0%
Original Gravity: 1.053
Terminal Gravity: 1.008
Alcohol: 5.87%
Bitterness: 29.1

Ingredients:
3.5 kg Joe White Pilsener Malt
0.5 kg Torrified Wheat
0.5 kg Simpsons Golden Naked Oats
0.5 kg Wey Rye Malt

20.0 g B Saaz (7.9%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
7.0 g B Saaz (7.9%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
7.0 g Nelson Sauvin (11.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
7.0 g Nelson Sauvin (11.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min

Wyeast WY3711 French Saison WY3711

I am open to changing the late hopping if anyone thinks that I'm making a mistake.

I'm going to give the 3711 a go. Thinking of using Galaxy Hops, I used tettnang and hallertau last time and it wasn't very hoppy. Just going to play and see what it is like, I'm still in love with a yeast I don't need to control the temp on.........

Going for a mix of styles, light colour, hoppy with Saison 3711 yeast. trying to get a tasty aussie saison as a house beer so I don't have a fridge tied up all the time doing my quaffers.

Morgans Aussie Lager Tin
1kg LDME
200 Caramalt steeped
20gm Galaxy 30mins
20gm Cascade 20mins
20gm Galaxy 5 mins

24L 3711 yeast - straight from smack pack

Went to bed at midnight and by 6am the yeast is foaming up nicely, think the 3711 is pretty vigorous.

Thoughts on what this will taste like?

That yeast definitely gets things done. My guess is it'll finish at 1002. ;)

Not sure how the yeast and hops will play together but certainly sounds worth a go. Let us know how it turns out.

That yeast definitely gets things done. My guess is it'll finish at 1002. ;)

Not sure how the yeast and hops will play together but certainly sounds worth a go. Let us know how it turns out.

Wow, that is low. I will let you know how it goes, was going to post the recipe and ask but then thought..bugger it will try for myself and see.

Latest posts

Back