Style Of The Week 11/10/06 - Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day All

Not sure if anyone else has posted this but picked a St-Feuillien Saison and a Jenlains Biere de Garde from Dan's on the w/e. New lines apparently.

The Ambree was quite tasty but yet to try the St-F but has a few good reviews

Might be easy to get elsewhere (?) but quite a novelty here on the Central Coast (Tuggerah) so posted here for us poor style deprived

Cheers

How does this look? My first Saison recipe....

I have a bucketload of Victoria's Secret flowers to get through :)

Figured the stone fruitiness could suit the dryness of a Saison, or would a more neutral bittering hop be better?

out of saison (Saison)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 4.0 (EBC): 7.9
Bitterness (IBU): 27.2 (Average)

47.62% Pilsner
38.1% Vienna
14.29% Wheat Malt

0.5 g/L Victorias Secret (16.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Victorias Secret (16.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 63°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20-25°C with Danstar Belle Saison

yep looks yum, inspirational as my saison keg just blew, reckon I'll put one down this weekend.

you can expect it to finish a lot lower than 1.013, belle saison is a hungry beast

Yeah that's what I thought. Most of my beers finish lower than brewmate calculates.

what I ended up doing in brewmate is entering Belle Saison in as a new yeast with attenuation of 90% - which ends up ballpark.

I've also entered one with the name "high mash temp" at 60% attenuation for when I brew milds.

Fermenting the above recipe now it's about half way done.

only change was I subbed out the second VS additiion in favour of my whole whopping 12 gram!!! crop of homegrown cascade and chinook cones.

Totally not to style i know, but so far it tastes sacrilicious. Feels wrong fermenting so hot too.

Really like saison, I think it's my favourite non uk ale.

Just pitched my latest, 14% raw spelt, the rest dingemans pils. EKG 60,30 and for shits n giggles some whole Riwaka flowers at flameout. 3724 Belgian saison.

This one, and the other cube of saison I have ( 100% ding pils, and saaz ), I've bittered a little higher than I normally would, and added lots of gypsum to the mash, which is 90mins on the low 60's. I'm planning on leaving them for a good 6-9 months before drinking them. I figure it'll be long enough to smooth out the bitterness. If it's not, I'll just leave em a few more months. All going in champagne bottles for a little bit of fancy.

Could really go a dupont right now :)

Have you tried the 3726 yet Mark?

Not yet mate, it's still in the fridge. Might try it with a beire de garde brune I have in a cube.

sponge said:
Have you tried the 3726 yet Mark?
I did 2 Saison's over summer with the Farmhouse strain and they both were fantastic.
One was fermented during a heatwave and got up to 35*c the other sat at 30*c the whole time.
Also one had late hops the other just bittering and you could hardly taste the difference, the yeast is just the king !
Both had heaps of fruity yeast character and went down way too easily on a hot day.

I pitched the 3726 yesterday into my saaz, ding pils saison.

What sort of fg does it usually get to?. I mashed 90 mins at low 60's so I'm guessing sub 1.010, but keen to know others experience.

Bottled the 3724 saison the other day. Love that yeast but god it makes you wait:)

From memory mine got down to 1.008 from about 1.050 ish it's a beast yeast (I will check my exact figures on brewmate when I get a chance)

A warning for anyone bottling beer with 3726, it stays in suspension so much that you end up with yeast caked all over the bottle and refuses to wash out with my usual rinse regime.
I will be saving one use throw away bottles for this summers saisons for this reason.

Pretty sure both beers I've made with it finished around 1.008-1.010, so not as crazy as the 3711 or 3724. I'll double check my figures when I get home and let you know.

@Sam Adams, I actually found both beers I made with it went brilliantly clear.. some of the clearest beers I've made. That's fermenting at 22/23'C, brewbrite in the boil and CC'ing for a week. Didn't need gelatine in the slightest.

Yeah sponge I did find that after a while the yeast dropped out and the beers poured really clear. But the bottles were still covered in yeast.

Sorry didn't explain that clearly.

Cheers guys. I'm hoping 90mins at low 60's will push it down to 1.005 or 6. I do like them bone dry.

sponge said:
Pretty sure both beers I've made with it finished around 1.008-1.010, so not as crazy as the 3711 or 3724. I'll double check my figures when I get home and let you know.

@Sam Adams, I actually found both beers I made with it went brilliantly clear.. some of the clearest beers I've made. That's fermenting at 22/23'C, brewbrite in the boil and CC'ing for a week. Didn't need gelatine in the slightest.
The farmhouse porter/dark saison was crystal clear, and a beautiful ruby colour. So far my fave of the swap.

That's the problem with case swaps, you're deep down kind of spewing if turns out a cracker, as you miss out. But then if it's no good, you're spewing as well haha.

Latest posts

Back