Stupid things you have done on brewday.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
citizensnips said:
Doing Biab
Dough in
Forgot the bag
Ditto.

Wrapped up the urn in the doona and walked away. Only to see the bag casually hanging over a chair. Oh F*#@!

Was quite an easy situation to rescue though. Fit the bag inside a fermenter, empty the urn into the bag, hoist the bag as per usual. Hose out the urn, tip the wort back in and away you go.

the embarrassing thing is I've done this more than once.

turned on the urn to to heat the mash a little, forgot it, boil over, shit everywhere, beer was not as bad as I thought it would be though

forgot to turn the heating element off on my biab urn all nice and snug in it's sleeping bag freshly mashed in for an hour....

Pinched the STC probe out of the fermenting fridge to measure mash temps, then left it on the bench on a 16C day. After about 5 hrs I realise what's happening and pull a fermenter of 36C wort out of the fridge because the heaters been running non stop trying to get to 18C. Brew had only been fermenting for 38 hrs but was only 2 points off FG at this time and the hydro sample tasted great!

Funny story's.

I had a mate come over and do a biab brew, we mashed in and wrapped her up for the 1hr mash. Wrapping included and sleeping bag and a massive blanket and bungee cords to hold on. We sat down to watch the footy and drink and about 15mins later my mate ask " what's that dripping sound" ....f&@k.......left urn on during mashin and wrap up and it had started to boil. There was boiled mash leaking out all over the table, I consider it now to have been a decoction of some sort.

Went to tip out 2 kegs of average beer......tipped the wrong keg which was a really nice IPA so ended up tipping 3 kegs. Oops
Made a mead after brewday when I was spastic drunk. Supposed to be a show mead but its now a very dry mead with some spices I can't remember putting in. Worst part is Ill have to wait a year to see if its any good. It's sitting on 0.998 and really dry :(

On my first maiden voyage of my new brew controller filled my hlt with water and started to heat it. After 30 mins went back to check and the water is still at 12.5C. Opened the box up and started checking for a loose wire etc. SSR lights were on but that was it. Realised I had plugged the HLT leads into kettle 1 and 2 instead of HLT 1 and 2. And they are clearly labelled..

Lucky escape.

I can turn my elec heating elements on by remote, which has been handy. However today when I checked the brewery to see it was heating up I noticed the wet ground and thought 'Nooooooooo'. The HLT tap wasn't shut properly and had leaked, there was about a centimeter of water maybe less above the element. So lucky element still fine and with a refill brewday still good. Was just in the nick of time though.

lol Some of this shit is great! Or not so great depending how you look at it...... :drinks:

I have a counterflow chiller that I boil (to sterilise) just before use, then I drain, rinse and boil again just before I put it away. Had a deck with some weeds growing underneath, so I used to pour the boiling water from this onto the deck to kill the weeds beneath. Did that in my stocking feet one day and wasn't quite quick enough before the water got to my foot. Boiling water + sock = blistered sole of foot.

Other than that, probably the stupidest thing I've done whilst brewing was drinking beer. Brewing drunk isn't very smart.

Not brew related, at work welding some pipe and reading about brew stuff ups whilst I wait for the heat up time to pass. Well it passed and I turned the pressure down on the hydraulics still reading the thread not paying attention... 15 minutes later realise the hot plate is still in the pipe and its beaded lips are bigger than belladonna's. oh well out with the saw and start again.

Very first BIAB day. Wrapped up the urn in doona and walked away for about 10min.

Came back to find a wet doona and puddle of wort on the floor. The doona had caught the tap switch and pushed it towards the urn which opened it just enough to start flowing.

Clean up for that one took a while.

Managed to smash my trusty old glass thermo and destroy the hydro tube, all in one day.

Decided I could do without a pickup tube, oh so wrong...

Too much evap, decided to dilute back to calc strength, what do I do? Dilute from the HLT. AFTER I chilled the brew down. fml. Had to wait nearly 3 hours for it to cool down.
All in all, not a bad brew day.

Ok I have to add what I did this morning. Transferred my water from the HLT, doughed in and started to recirculate and no flow. I think its an airlock so disconnect the hose going into the herms coil and lower it into a bucket to get it flowing. Connect it back up, turn on pump and still no flow.
So now I think its my pump so I pull the March pump cover off inspect the impeller and all looks fine. Put it back together and still no flow. So then I think maybe one of my quick disconnects on my pump is sucking air so I swap them all over for barbs. Still no flow. Pull the March pump apart again and double check everything and lube the seal.
Then I try it again with water coming out of the HLT and I have flow.
Then I look and realize I had my Kettle and MLT hoses connected the wrong way. DOHHHH

My pump has a T on the inlet and a T on the outlet. HLT out and MLT out connects to the bottom and MLT in and kettle connects to the top. That way I dont need valves at my pump just at my vessels. (QldKev gave me the idea) Works well when you remember which way to put your hoses. I cant believe I didnt check the obvious first.

Then to make matters worse Im brewing a stout and its a dark brown instead of a black. I double check the recipe and realize I forgot to add the chocolate.

I'm waiting for number 3 although Ive just reached flame out with no other issues so far so fingers crossed.

I forgot to plug back in the temp controller on the freezer after using it as an actual freezer. Pilsner got cold conditioned a bit too much.

Latest posts

Back