Stupid things you have done on brewday.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
We haven't had one of these threads for awhile.

I've decided to pull out my 1V system and brew some beers I only want 1 cube off, and also try an experiment with a new recipe. Yesterday I made a milk stout. Brew day went as planned. Got to mashout and it's time to remove the return arm out of the way so I can lift the bag. As I removed the arm I dropped it into the mash. So as not to disturb the bed too much I decided to leave it and fish it out later after the bag was removed from the vessel. A couple of mates turn up and a few beers drank and it's getting dark. I go outside to clean out the brew gear, emptying the bag of grain directly into the rubbish bin. I decided no need to use a plastic rubbish bag as it's bin day in the morning and I can hose out the bin. This morning comes, bin is empty and I decide to brew again. After 30mins searching for the return arm I remember, doh!

What have you done?

Drink.

Leave tap on.

Boil an Ale way too long, no-chill it and then forget to dilute back to the required gravity when I pitched the yeast. Not sure if that counts, as it was neither brew day (it was 'pitch day') and winning an award for 2nd place in QABC for a stuff up, may not (or it may be) stupid. The beer that beat me, won the nationals as well (courtesy of tallie).

mashed in at 6.30am still half asleep, put the lid on and went inside, came back an hour later and realised I had not insulated the urn with my trusty sleeping bag, this IPA might take a few months for the bitterness to round round out a bit
forgot the salts too that morning..and my checklist

I brewed about 10 double batches in a row so I'd grown accustomed to the water volumes etc - decided to do a single of a test batch, but went on to brew it as though I was doing a double - thought the refractometer had shat itself when it came time to cube. A quick visit to the LHBS for various goop made it drinkable :p

A few years back I decided to try to carbonate half a batch of Czech pils - that had been lagering wonderfully - with salt... :unsure:

fruit beer without the sediment reducer in the tap, had to glad wrap my arm to clear the line. beer turned out fine

First All grain I stuffed up and went to check Mash Temp and my mate came over and spotted my issue right away. I thought it had taken ages to get up to 69 but I had the cover on and it was really mashing at 85!

Had to tip in the end as I couldn't get gravity to drop under 1.030 and had just replaced plastic bottles with glass swappas!

Invited a couple of work mates over to have a few drinks and help me brew. All they did was drink beer and become more of a hindrance than a help.

(Note:- Another member on here came over too, if your reading this you were not a hindrance as at least you knew what to do and were helpful)

Last weekend forgot to turn a tap off when draining into cube, undid camlock and 95C wort shot out over my hand, feet and kitchen floor. blisters on hands and feet. Managed to get the kitchen floor mopped up before the missus got home. Wasn't even drinking.

I once didn't have a beer at mash in and hit all my targets.

Once.

The worst for me is regularly burning my hands and feet and forgetting hop additions.

A few things I have done over the years

Left HLT element on after emptying it. - Oh the glow

Forgot to put false bottom in MLT- funtime finding enough containers to empty the mash into.

Got absolutely hammered and cant remember much after mashing in, woke up on the floor right next to a perfectly cubed brew with slayer on repeat. (My very own episode of home alone)

Oh and who can forget the old broke the new pump threw stupidity on a brewday full of hecklers. :)

Cheers

bradsbrew said:
Got absolutely hammered and cant remember much after mashing in, woke up on the floor right next to a perfectly cubed brew with slayer on repeat. (My very own episode of home alone)
that's just outstanding. :D

Kicked a red hot cube of wort right on the tap and had boiling wort gushing everywhere while trying to screw it back in. After burning the shit out of myself flipped it on it's back and walked away. Brew ended up fine.

turned off the wrong switch and fried the HEX... ummm... didnt check how much gas I had prior and ran out.. BBQ one gave me 30 seconds... camping one gave me 30 seconds... left tap open on the cube.. many many many things

Forgetting to turn the volume on my computer up and not hearing the 60 min hop addition alarm. And when I finally checked I had 20 mins to go and missed 2 hop additions. Shit that time went quick..

I forget to aerate wort prior to pitching way too often. I've had some shockers with infusion step mashes and way under/over shooting etc HX is the best thing ever.

kezza said:
drop my march pump and bust the outlet off the housing :angry:
:( if you do that again, the Chugger stainless heads fit ;) although that would require extremely bad luck!

Not as dramatic as some but filling a no-chill cube for the first time was interesting. Ended up with blisters on my knee because the cube got hot real quick.

Technically not brew day but have left the tap open on the fermenter a few times after cleaning when pouring wort in. Sticky mess all over the floor.

Latest posts

Back