Stupid things you have done on brewday.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed again on Monday after 3 months and moving house. When I doughed in, I thought the mash looked thin, but it had been 3 months.... My efficiency was terrible. Proper terrible, so I topped up with dextrose to make it somewhat drinkable. I put it down to the move and the 1st brew in a new environment, and vowed to learn some lessons from the brewday. Last night, the wife went to bake and notice the digital scales that I also use for brewing were set on lb's - not kg's.............................

looks like I made 25kg of yeast starter!!!

Kind of stupid. Old 10amp extension lead in my 15amp socket. Had the element, pump and stirrer going. Went inside for an hour while HLT and MT came to temp. Wife came in and said "do you know you've had a fire in the powerpoint?" Went down and found this.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1434364902.009136.jpg

And this

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1434364969.825513.jpg

Had to go and buy a new 15Amp point and lead. Put me back a few hours.

Got some mates round to help me bottle a couple of barrels. We had a good production line going, one mate filling one mate adding sugar and me capping. A few beers later it was all done, a few weeks later they started exploding :party:

prepared yeast, had a few different ales and enjoyed the moment/s of why homebrew is so good. went to bed. woke up. went to work. went to bed. woke up. went to work. went to bed. woke up. went to work. came home 3 days later and the wife asked if i was doing anything with the yeasty thing in the cupboard. threw yeast into wort. i have never tasted anything as vile as what crawled out of that fermenter.

***happy ending*** i had heaps of spare bottles, so it sat there. i drink one as i write, 10 months later. i cracked one 2 weeks ago, and is not the best, but still better than mega swill. acts as a back up and helps with aging my current beers a little more. but putrid in its day.

Latest posts

Back