Stupid things you have done on brewday.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mrs and kids out for the day so decided to brew and mow the grass at the same time.
Couple of hours, and too many pints later the picnic table is on fire and the ride on mower is out of fuel down at the front gate, 200 meters away.

jyo said:
Funny, I had a prank call the other night but it was from some high-pitched drunk girl!
That was cocko with a "little bit of help" from Nev.

Walk away from boiling pot.
Be lazy and take short cuts.
Not learn from last brewday's mistakes on the next brewday.

I have been brewing for 7 or so years. I have smashed 11 hydrometers.

Imagine what kind of hydrometer or refrac I could have bought for $250 I have spent so far!

I left my boil on in the shed one day for 10 mins....came back to a blazing 4 foot high inferno, the hose from the gas bottle had burst. ****. Turned it off quickly, changed the hose.
Brew turned out fine. Kettle and shed was covered in acrid black soot. Fuckn scary, could have burned the shed down. ( And fucked up a good brew)

First brew with braumeister..... heat water, fit malt pipe, add 4.5 kg of grain..... turn and look at table..... why are there two filter plates on the table ...... holy f#ck........ 4.5kg wasted grain..... sigh massive clean up......

^^ Managed to do that on my second brew. First one was straight following the manual, no mistakes there.

another 'stupid' thing was to buy a cheap enough pot for hot water infusions into esky mash tun. When water reached boiling point i lifted the pot up, one handle failed and 15L of boiling water straight on my foot with shoes and socks on. Took me a good few seconds to realise that it might help to take that boiling sock off and run to the pool. That was about three years ago and there's still a nice big mark on that foot.

the pot got retired and replaced by a new stainless one with pump, element and controller, so no more accidents.

I left a decent amount of starsan in a cube, filled it with wort and realised near the end that something was wrong with the volume. I brewed the same receipe the next weekend so I had a 'normal' batch and then decided to have some fun with the slightly dodgy batch. I fermented on the yeast cake from the good batch, dumped in all my left over odds and ends of hops (quite a bit), at the end of fermentation I had other things going on so I couldn't keg it so I dropped the fermenter to -8 degrees figuring that would buy me some time. I eventually kegged the results (without letting too much of the ice melt). It's not the most balanced beer and I'm certainly not going to be able to reproduce it but it was a bit of fun. I might bring a bottle to the next BABBs meeting for sh**s and giggles.

I'm sure I've done plenty of other stupid stuff but that was the most disappointing at the moment I realised what I'd done.

My 1st ever brew..NickJD stovetop AG.
Coffee grinder packed it in after 3 seconds, had to mill 4kg of grain with a rolling pin.
Brew day went awesome.
First tastings tasted of nail polish....after some research, found out that you had to put water in to the FV air-lock douvy. She was oxidised.
Been a grad wrap man since.

Not timed a boil and ended up 30-40 minutes short on a pilsner....say it with me...boiled cabbage.

Goo

yum beer said:
Not timed a boil and ended up 30-40 minutes short on a pilsner....say it with me...boiled cabbage.
Good source of vitamins Yum.

yum beer said:
:beerbang: D M S :beerbang: D M S :beerbang: D M S :beerbang:
Gooooooo cabbage!!

Byran said:
I left my boil on in the shed one day for 10 mins....came back to a blazing 4 foot high inferno, the hose from the gas bottle had burst. ****. Turned it off quickly, changed the hose.
Brew turned out fine. Kettle and shed was covered in acrid black soot. Fuckn scary, could have burned the shed down. ( And fucked up a good brew)
Very similar experience here. Went upstairs just after the boil-over danger had subsided, to come back down to the brew dungeon to a huge flame coming out the end of the hose. Quickly turned the gas bottle off to find that the hose connection on the burner was a little loose. Got the old spanner out and haven't had a problem since (touch wood).

Another time (only a few brews ago actually) there were a couple of things that went wrong. I have set up my little brown pumps and whatnot and decided to give them their first run with a simple weizen. Realised after filling the kettle that I didn't once allow the wort to clear from the MT before transferring to the kettle. I also noticed that when mashing out, I needed a lot more boiling water to get to 76'C than normal (by using the STC I have set up for the MT). I then remembered I was using my dodgy 3" dial thermometer to check the mash temp which is about 10'C out for my 66'C rest, so wouldve actually been mashing at around 56'C.

It got down to 1.005 using 3068... :mellow:

At least that was the base I was using for a blueberry weizen and have since added some DME and lactose (along with a few kilos of blueberries) and is starting to taste alright. Plus it was brewed for some mates and their gf's for a party coming up so it doesn't bother me too much. I made myself a keg of APA which I'll be drinking on the night instead.

I [SIZE=medium]left a jerry can of petrol for the lawnmower next to a bag of grain I'd just cracked for the next day's brewing, wasn’t till I'd just finished mashing in I noticed a lovely petrochemical aroma in my wort, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]tip, clean, hand grind another 5kg,[/SIZE]

Hoisted the bag in the crab cooker, let it drain & then removed the crab cooker full of grain & put it aside. Had a few beers during the boil, forgot about the used grain until about a week later. Mould & bug infested grain & bag :unsure:

Latest posts

Back