stuck stout(S-04) and black IPA(US-05) ferment - pitch US-05 to both?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckerooni

Reaction score
hi all,

Haven't done any bigger brews before and thought I could er....get away with pitching one 11g packet - of course I was wrong. In essence, I now have the tools for a good starter (stirplate) but I'm wondering if dishing out 5gs of new US-05 to both jerry's would be a reasonable approach, even if the stout was originally done with S-04 - is this a tolerable thing to do?

more details below but after both starting at 18c on the same day:
stout : stopped day 3 @ 1022 (FG 1017)
ipa : stopped day 7 @ 1018 (FG 1013)

I've stepped up the temp daily since day 7 and have been at 22c for 2 days straight losing about 1 point each at this temp. I've also given my jerrys a fair bit of swaying in both directions. Looking at yeast calc this was destined for failure.

I realise I could just stop here and CC/keg but I don't really understand the difference between incomplete fermentation and 'full bodied beer'

got a stout (10 Count Stout) :
JW Ale Malt 5.00 kg
Chocolate Malt 600 0.50 kg
Barley Roasted 0.50 kg
Rolled Oats 0.20 kg
S-04 (no starter)

must have stuffed my initial water volume (not 29L) as I only ended up with 17 litres of wort. still to dial in my system into Ian's spreadsheet correctly I guess.

mashed in at 66, and mashed out at 78c within 45 mins.
Expected OG - 1071 (adjusted from 1063 for revised water level), got 1064

and a black IPA (Back In Black IPA): kinda a weird mix I will modify as suggested on AHB:

Ale Malt 5.00 kg
Brown Malt 0.50 kg
CaraMunich 1 0.50 kg
Barley Roasted 0.10 kg

US-O5 (no starter)

30L strike, 23L final volume.
mashed at 66, mashed out a little high at 84 within 55 mins. note: stirred mash alot more than above.
Expected OG: 1056, got 1054

Also, having to write all this out makes me motivated to dial my settings in better and be consistent with my technique...

thanks for any feedback

for bigger beers (which, to me, means anything over 1.048-50 OG) i usually just pitch 2 packs to be safe.

given your beers now are sitting with a lot of alcohol, i don't know that 5gm of yeast would really even take off. it won't hurt per se, but i don't envisage them getting excited in such an alcoholic environment. if you were to pitch anything, then pitch a full packet. having said that, if the current yeast is slowly still working away then i'd say let it ride and relax and have a home brew. keep them at your raised temp for a little while, as you might very well have stressed them out with such a large proportion of sugar in your liquid to begin with.

i reckon you'll be right as is to be honest, just give it a little bit longer, and once final gravity is reached, or even if a few points out, consider leaving it another week or so in primary before you bottle or keg.

just my 2c, and what i would probably do in that situation. i'll let other more knowledgeable people chime in.

with big beers I have had success dropping a few extra points by racking to secondary, eg another cube with some fresh yeast, though be careful not to splash it around when transferring, O2 at this point will add a wet cardboard flavour, not even a big ass stout will cover that up.

update: had one of the mountain goat brewers in my shed on sunday, reckons they're both quite dry for the styles so I called it 'case closed' on those and have CC'd them. Didn't want to risk the oxidation of a transfer and passed on the fast ferment test (based on the observed dryness of both beers) but will keep that in mind in the future.

As I had the starter going anyway (first one!)- I dumped it on a no-chill cube of wort I've had patiently waiting for 4 days :)

A 3-style tidal wave attack of new booze is about to hit my kegerator, bring it on :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back