Stuck Fermentation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgw86

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently put down a Morgan's Blue Mountain Lager with 1KG Brew Enhancer 2 and some Hallertau Hops (18g). It has now been sitting in my fermentation fridge at a steady 17C for the past 11 Days. I did fill this to 23L as well and pitched the yeast at about 23C. I have noticed over the last few days that the krausen on top is slowly dissapearing....the SG was a strange 1034 (though perhaps I have a broken hydrometer?)

On Day 6 I took a reading and it was 1020 and then on Day 9 it was 1016...On Day 11 (today) I took a reading and to me it looks like it might be perhaps 1015/1016....

Surely the FG isn't going to be around 1016 as I would have thought the 1KG of BE2 would give it at least a 4.3% at 23L.

I have now raised the fridge temp to about 20C to complete a d-rest.

Should I let it sit for another week or is it possible that fermentation has finished?

I plan on doing this one again but adding an extra 250-300g of Light Dry Malt and only topping up to 21L...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stick your hydrometer in some water and make sure it is reading 0. Sounds a bit high to me I would think closer to 1010 if its 23L.
I would just let it sit for longer if the hydrometer is reading fine, maybe give it a bit of a swirl to stir up some yeast from the bottom.

Stick your hydrometer in some water and make sure it is reading 0. Sounds a bit high to me I would think closer to 1010 if its 23L.
I would just let it sit for longer if the hydrometer is reading fine, maybe give it a bit of a swirl to stir up some yeast from the bottom.

Alright just put some cold tap water in and dropped the hydrometer in. It is reading one line above 1000...so .98?

Have also put the fridge temp up to 20-22C and swiriled the wort around....

Alright just put some cold tap water in and dropped the hydrometer in. It is reading one line above 1000...so .98?

Temperature can also throw off the readings, the hydrometer will normally say what temperature they are calibrated for (normally 20c) so if the water was fairly cold this could also throw off the reading.

If it is off at 20c you can just subtract it across the whole scale so 1016 would be 1014.

Temperature can also throw off the readings, the hydrometer will normally say what temperature they are calibrated for (normally 20c) so if the water was fairly cold this could also throw off the reading.

If it is off at 20c you can just subtract it across the whole scale so 1016 would be 1014.

Ok, No problems. Thanks mate.

After swirling the wort I should now leave it for another 3-4 days and check readings again? If it still hasn't moved I'll just go ahead and cold condition it?

Latest posts

Back