Strange Formation In Stubbie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza_devil

Reaction score
G'day Brewers,

I've attached a pic.
It's a bit hard to capture the detail but it looks like a cobweb coated with yeast particles and sways around intact, remaining attached to the glass when you move the bottle
I can't see a thread of any description in the bottle so it would have to be ultra-ultra-fine to be a hair or even cobweb. The brew, a hefe fermented with 3638, has been in the bottle a little over 4 weeks and what I've had of the batch so far has been drinkable.
The formation in question isn't visible in any other bottles of the batch that I've noticed.
Bottles have been in the system for a few batches, soaked in PBW, rinsed thoroughly, sanitised with starsan using a bottle washer and drained before bottling.

Verdict?

Hefe.jpg

It's the ghost of beers past, back to haunt you
ghost-smiley.gif

You might be right there you know.
Here's another pic, I wish I could capture it to show accurately how weird this looks, never seen nothing like it.
I'll try to get another when the sunlight hits the window-sill.

hefe2.jpg

Looks like the infection I had in a fermenter. Look up my post of "is this my first infection?"

Looks like the infection I had in a fermenter. Look up my post of "is this my first infection?"

Fasty, I would have to say that I can't see any resemblance with your infection and the formation in question.

it isnt what they refer to as ropiness in a pedio infected beer is it, never actually done a lambic but from the descriptions ive seen it might be it.

it isnt what they refer to as ropiness in a pedio infected beer is it, never actually done a lambic but from the descriptions ive seen it might be it.

Don't know mate but I've had 3 bottles and 5 stubbies from the batch, all of which tasted like beer.
Perhaps something got into that particular stubbie. There's nothing floating on top of the beer in the bottle.

Yeah sorry, should have said it sounds like my infection from the description as I'm only looking at it from my phone.

Hi Boagsy,

I have seen something similar a couple of times Its kind of wispy like a cobweb. The beer tastes and smells fine. Check this out from The Home brewers Companion by Charlie Pazazian.

Cheers,
Stagwa

Belgian_Study_Yeast.JPG

Hi Boagsy,

I have seen something similar a couple of times It's kind of wispy like a cobweb. The beer tastes and smells fine. Check this out from The Home brewers Companion by Charlie Pazazian.

Cheers,
Stagwa

Very interesting.
Although I haven't come across any more cobwebs in the batch, there is yeast stuck to the sides of the other bottles, which is not really unusual but there's more than usual in this one.

It looks like the stuff that came out of the last batch of bottles i cleaned, good luck in finding out what it is.
J

.............all of which tasted like beer.

I can't really tell anything from the photos but I guess this quoted bit is the most important.

Does this particular bottle taste like beer also? Maybe one bottle wasn't properly clean - no big loss.

I had something like this from the coopers kit yeast, but not floating like that. It floated if the bottle was lightly shaken up but settled back every time. And only in the few bottles bottled off the last bits of beer in the fermenter. And they were the tastiest bottles :p

It's hard to describe and just as difficult to photograph.
Almost like a veil of yeast attached to the side of the bottle.
If I had to guess, it's a very fine cobweb on the side of the bottle with yeast particles sticking to it.
I noticed it a couple of weeks ago and it hasn't grown any, remained exactly the same from the time I first saw it.

Latest posts

Back