Strange "break" Material In Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well because Jamil said so isn't a good enough reason in my book either and I don't rack to secondary... ever. I just give it enough time in primary that it clears up then I bottle, job done. But it was more about controlling the time the hops are in there that was intriguing me since I've read you can get some undesirable flavours from hops if they are in there too long; since I often wait 3 sometimes 4 weeks in primary, adding hops at day 5/6 means they sit in there a awfully long time. I haven't noticed any of the more common "grassy" flavour/aroma that some speak of, but I also haven't made as much beer as some here either.

But if it does mean

a) cleaner beer
B) better hops aroma/taste (or at least more consistency)

Using a nylon stocking and removing it after a certain amount of time would probably accomplish part b but I figure if I'm going to dick around with it that much racking to a secondary for the benefit of cleaner beer is probably worth the trouble anyway.

Was just some random thoughts I had after listening to that show (and yeah, it does dissolve into a great deal of bull a lot of the time, doesn't it)

I thought I was being all diplomatic and shit originally.

As for sides, I only rack to secondary when I have a pretty good reason. "Because Jamil said so" does not qualify as a good reason in my books.

It must be said that the one beer of his I've had was pretty damned enjoyable and significantly better than my own beers.

but he does seem like a massive cock. I ran into him at G&G one day and he seemed to be patrolling the extract isle waiting for someone to engage him. We made eye contact. I moved on.

having said that i do listen to the shows, generally pre brewing a style. and i use the book as a starting point on most recipe styles.

We need the off topic sign by now.

:icon_offtopic:

Well because Jamil said so isn't a good enough reason in my book either and I don't rack to secondary... ever.

funnily enough either does jamil, except for fruit beer

Are there anaerobic bacteria/microbes out there?
Is there a chance of them getting into the beer in the process of racking?
Are these capable of chewing up the residual sugars in there?
Are any of these alcohol tolerant?

Putting Bum's probability theory to test here, these are another bunch of ? why infection could happen, every so many times it probably will happen. Does the benefit outweigh the risk? Only the brewer will know...
Can any of the above be reduced through brewer actions? Yes, definitely the second one.

I think it was in a brew strong episode on dry hopping Jamil was putting his case for racking to secondary - that being, a reduced amount of yeast will allow a higher amount of hop oils to remain in the beer and not stuck to yeast cells and drop out. It makes sense to me, but i cant be arsed racking to secondary.

Yes off topic.

I'd imagine that it is because he always does it.

If you've read How To Brew, you might have noticed that he has some particularly old fashioned opinions that he likes to present as facts. Doesn't mean they are wrong but it also doesn't mean the methods he presents are the only valid ones.

Jamil wrote How to Brew?

I may have been very drunk last night.

I cannot recall.

In actual fact, I do recall. Was newted.

I screwed the pooch pretty hard on that one. Will try to engage brain before posting while pissed in future.

Latest posts

Back