Stout Stew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmsy

Reaction score
Am a real novice when it comes to cooking so i need all the help i can get hahaha

Just curious on some of you guys tried and tested stout stews... Am looking at making a big pot so i can freeze it and have it later.....

Thanks in advance

Am a real novice when it comes to cooking so i need all the help i can get hahaha

Just curious on some of you guys tried and tested stout stews... Am looking at making a big pot so i can freeze it and have it later.....

Thanks in advance

I love a good stout stew.

Easy to do. Just chuck a pint of stout in. If the recipe calls for wine use stout instead. if the recipe calls for stock, replace some of that with stout. Easy as.

Cheers
Dave

I discovered this when living in the UK watching one of their many food programs. I've used cans of Guinness, Coopers BES and my stout. Perfect for the cold weather which meant i was able to make it 51 weeks of the year! :lol:

This one was from Antony Worrall Thompson

I made a few changes to it as you do.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
1kg braising steak, cut into 5cm pieces
50g unsalted butter
150g smoked streaky bacon, cut into thick strips
2 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
a few sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
650ml stout
80g stoneless prunes cut in half
80g pickled walnuts, sliced
4 tsp balsamic vinegar
4 tsp soft dark brown sugar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
500ml beef stock
salt and pepper

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 140C.
2. Place the flour and meat in a plastic bag and shake to coat the meat.
3. Heat half the butter in a large casserole pot and fry the meat until golden and crusty all over. Remove the meat and set aside.
4. Add the remaining butter to the same pan and fry the bacon until crispy. Add the onions, thyme and bay leaves and cook until the onion has softened. Add any remaining flour and stir to combine.
5. Pour in the stout and stir vigorously.
6. Return the beef to the pan; stir to combine, add remaining ingredients and bring to the boil.
7. Cover the casserole with a lid and place in the oven.
8. Cook for at least four hours (or preferably overnight) until the meat is very tender.

I've used both beef and roo in this recipe. Normally when you cook a piece of roo you would cook it fast to medium rare at most, otherwise it gets tough. Braising it in beer overcomes this and you end up with meat (either beef or roo) that falls apart.

Serve with creamy garlic mash and steamed green veg and a pint of stout!

Last night I made up a beef & barley wine stew using beef stock and about a litre of barley wine wort (SG 1.123) which was leftover in the kettle. First I marinated two budget porterhouse steaks in the wort overnight. I sliced up the beef and floured it then browned it in a pot with onions & butter. I sauted up some more onions, garlic, celery before adding the meat back in then added stock, wort and simmered real low for a few hours. I also sliced a few big mushrooms and let them simmer away too. In the meantime I made some herby, cheesy savoury scones to accompany the meal. It was really delicious last night and for lunch today!

Last night I made up a beef & barley wine stew using beef stock and about a litre of barley wine wort (SG 1.123) which was leftover in the kettle. First I marinated two budget porterhouse steaks in the wort overnight. I sliced up the beef and floured it then browned it in a pot with onions & butter. I sauted up some more onions, garlic, celery before adding the meat back in then added stock, wort and simmered real low for a few hours. I also sliced a few big mushrooms and let them simmer away too. In the meantime I made some herby, cheesy savoury scones to accompany the meal. It was really delicious last night and for lunch today!

:icon_drool2:

Have a Stout Stew in the oven now... Will be hooking into it in about an hour (has already been in the oven for 4).

It is my first go at a Stout Stew and is basically a bastardized recipe I made up today as I was going.... Smells fantastic so far!

Recipe:

1 x pieces of Chuck steak (not sure of the weight), diced into medium sized chunks
2 x stubbies of stout (used my first home brewed stout)
4 cloves of garlic crushed
2 tablespoons of Dried Mixed Herbs
2 x fresh sprigs of rosemary
2 tablespoons of malt vinegar
3 carrots
3 new potatoes
2 smallish zucchini's
2 onions
1 capsicum
1/4 cup of plain flour
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 - 3 cups of Chicken stock

Marinate meat in 1 bottle of stout, 1/2 of the garlic, malt vinegar and 1/2 of the dried herbs - marinate overnight
Coursely chop veggies and put aside in a bowl
Remove the meat from the marinade and dust with flour
Brown the meat in a dutch oven on the stove in batches
Deglaze pan with some of the stout marinade and then add veggies.
Toss veggies around for about 5 minutes and then re-add meat and stir through.
Pour in marinade that was left in bowl and add additional stubbie of stout and chicken stock, add remaining garlic, herbs and rosemary sprigs
Put in oven at about 150c for 4-5 hours, stirring every hour or so (remove the rosemary sprigs when all the leaves fall off).

Serve with fresh bread and a pint of your favorite stout... Should serve 4 (or 2 for 2 nights ^_^ )

Back