Storing your Beer Gear?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunous

I Drink VB
Reaction score
So i've done a few searches and nothing seems to pop up relating to storing your beer gear.

I bet the most of us just clean and throw in a container, well that works sometimes, but most of the time you open the container, its pitted, moving parts a stuck and you gotta pull it apart again and then clean.

So what is everyone elses tricks.

Reason I ask is, im about to update the bar, and i'll have a few beer taps, keg taps and things the like that I just want to be able to clean, sit aside and not come back 12months down the track and the chrome is f%#ked, or its magically gunked up, i can just pull out in a hurry, quick rinse and we're off.

I was thinking maybe putting in a sealed container and adding them water desiccant beads (seems to work in my gun safe), or covering the taps in food grade grease like the auto industry does.

Dunno, throw em at me people

Cheers,
Shaun.

I reckon if you just make sure they're clean and dry and maybe disassembled they should be fine but dessicant beads wouldn't hurt.
OT I used to use a moisture trap in my gun safe but found they drew moisture in to the safe and had to be changed regularly. Agree those little bags of dessicant seem to work well though. Got a bunch of them from a new couch and have them throughout the brewery too.

As mad as it sounds putting things in the freezer or fridge acts as a desiccant - it is a dehumidifier rendering your gear not prone to any oxidation eg rust

Vacuum sealed bags (ie. Foodsaver stuff)? I guess it would depend on the size of the gear, but you can buy rolls of the bags & make-up your own.

But then, I'm assuming you've got a vacuum packer for your hops.....

You could store the bits in a sealed bucket with a sock full of dried rice.

What about Inox or Lanotech

Plus like one and a little bit
No deadset 100% true

my laptop suffered a full bottle of water and was saved by the fridge method

Well, finally got around to a shed clean up.

All steel beer gear was cleaned (dusted off basically), then lightly covered in food safe lube, then vac sealed and double bagged (as some keg parts are sharp), done all my taps individually, and fittings together. Only done things i rarely use but would hate to get rid of as i know i'll use it one day.

All O-rings and seals that weren't in original packaging were also wiped with lube and thrown in a ziplock bag

Should do the trick and save getting them annoying rust spots on everything and seals going hard and dry.

Cleaned,dried and stored in a Clean dry area with those silica gel bags which will help keep the moisture away.

Ducatiboy stu said:
You could store the bits in a sealed bucket with a sock full of dried rice.

What about Inox or Lanotech
As opposed to wet rice, the kind you add water too from the supermarket.

spog said:
Cleaned,dried and stored in a Clean dry area with those silica gel bags which will help keep the moisture away.
Just be carefull to not use silica gel/pellets in overkill. I've put to many in my gun safe once and they sucked all the gun oil from the rifles and they started to surface rust as if i'd just left them outside.

Interesting discussion. I've found that IF the parts are fully disassembled and dried when stored in a container that breathes they've been fine in storage. Only time I had chrome damaged was where I stored it in an airtight container and unbeknown to me there was some moisture in there.

Yeh I didnt want to fully disasemble PF. Thats y i just quick cleaned and covered in lube. Figured it works for car parts, so it'd work for beer gear.

QldKev did a post on here about how to make those silica gel satchets using kitty litter.

Didn't want to start a new thread and thought I'd post a picture of how I store empty bottles, keeps dust and bugs from getting in, give them a clean with hot water, dry them then cover the top in foil, makes it easy when bottling day comes just have to sanitise and you're away.

1400565232516.jpg

Damn, I've been storing my guns in my keg fridge and my kegs in the safe. Totally explains the metallic taste when I pour a beer from the fridge.

Hey Nizmoose, I do the same. It can be a blood curdling experience cutting the foil with blunt scissors.
Why does mould grow so quickly in the fermenting fridge, if you don't leave the door ajar. Im asking because I store my grains in a big esky that is airtight and Im worried about mould.

Latest posts

Back