Cleaning Your Bloody Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrenTheDrunk

Reaction score
Hello fellow drinkers

I reckon I worked out a good way to clean and disinfect those 19 L kegs without having to pull everything apart. Now what I’m about to suggest, I think I am pretty bloody smart, but who am I fooling!!!. I have a T pieced gas line coming from the bottle which I have always had so that I can gas up and “burp” my kegs without having to open the fridge. I made up another 1 m line with a snap-on connector. When the keg is empty, I give it a quick rinse out, add in some disinfectant, connect the gas line and the I metre “beer” line and run through a couple of litres of disinfectant into a container which when you think about it, will clean out that long stainless steel beer tube, and in fact every other surface that comes into contact you’re your beer. I then just fill the keg up with me next brew, and if there is no room in the fridge to put the keg, I still leave it connected to the gas and of course burp it a few times and that’s about it. I reckon it is way too easy, and someone will no doubt tell me where I am going wrong, but until then, I’m going with it.

Cheers and Beers Big Ears

I do still use bleach but Star san would be the recommended one. I guess my point was more about the process cos you see You Tube vids with people recommending pulling the keg apart including the in and out lugs but I recon my idea seems ideal

Bleach will pit stainless steel not to mention you need to rinse with water which then defeats the purpose. Do yourself a favour and just use a no rinse sanitiser thats made for brewing.

You will also need to clean it out properly every few brews, check seals, use lube etc.

If you're about simplicity get or make a keg washer using a pond pump and run PBW or other purpose made cleaner.

I totally get trying to save pennies but bleach is just not a good choice in my opinion.

I'm with you on not having to pull the kegs apart but you have to pay your dues when it comes to cleaning. I don't know the first thing about using Pine O clean in brewing but I do know that if you want to disinfect or sanitise something it needs to be clean first. As long as you are happy that the keg is clean then using disinfectant maybe ok. Is the stuff ok on stainless steel? You can get a build up of beer stone in the liquid dip tube (it looks like white scale) that needs to come off when cleaning.

Sure its nice to cut corners, but when you spend time chasing an infection for poor cleaning practices you will wish you bothered to spend time cleaning things properly. Nothing wrong with a quick water rinse and sanitise, but you should rotate through a good clean every few runs at a minimum.

Yes you are 100% right about bleach Kadmium but sure why I need to pull it apart and what seals am I checking. I do use lube on the lid seals and check the posts are sealed with soap water under pressure. This is a genuine question and not a statement. Can you please tell me how you go about it as I am a sponge for ideas and assistance.

cheap keg washer a run through with pbw a rinse then sanitiser

you dont have to run pbw on every keg wash some do, i will rinse straight away soon as keg is empty
and run saniterire and add a bit of gas till next use

every 5-6 times i will pull apart checking the poppets o rings etc and followed by pbw wash and rinse and sanitser

wouldnt dream of using a bleach , even the non odurless bleachs still leave a nasty odur

Yes you are 100% right about bleach Kadmium but sure why I need to pull it apart and what seals am I checking. I do use lube on the lid seals and check the posts are sealed with soap water under pressure. This is a genuine question and not a statement. Can you please tell me how you go about it as I am a sponge for ideas and assistance.

your looking at the springs and poppets as well as the o ring washers on both the in and out posts as well as the o rings on the dip tubes

and should also be checking the prv valve and the o ring on the keg lid as well

some use keg lube on the in and out posts everytime the connect a keg

Hey Darren. So pretty much this is my process.

Keg kicks (empties) I rinse it immediately. Put it aside and when its time to clean it, I set up a bucket blaster from Kegland or the like.

Run ABC Cleaner from KegKing through it, using disconnects for both gas and liquid that circulates the cleaner through the dip tube and gas tube.

Good rinse with water. Let dry. Then either fill with starsan and it waits its turn to be emptied.

Every 6 or so uses, undo both the gas and liquid posts, unscrew them. Check and replace orings if they are worn or have flat spots. Pull dip tube out and look through, make sure no beer stone.

Re lube all the bits and bobs very lightly with keg lube. Take apart the post and check the poppet, spring and seal. Unscrew Pressure Release Valve (PRV) and check it.

Re assemble keg. When I seal the kegs, I run a light smear of lube on the lid gasket.

Every time I hook up gas or liquid disconnects, I spray the posts and inside the disconnects with Ethyl-Kill.

Might be over kill, but chances of an infection are greatly reduced. Also, I know it's like flogging a dead horse but the bleach will ruin the keg and produce nasty flavours. It belongs in toilets and the kitchen or bathroom in my opinion.

Bleach is definitely out. Obvious corrosion potential when chlorine ions can contact stainless. Just don't even consider it.
I have a different approach which works for me, minimises time spent & does not require a sanitiser.
1) thoroughly rinse out the keg with cold tapwater, sometimes if the yeast is firmly settled on the bottom I may use a dedicated lavatory brush with extended handle.
2) boil a kettle full of water (about 3 litres) & pour into the keg & immediately close the top
3) Swish the (near boiling) water in the keg, vigorous shaking but taking care not to burn hands (gloves?)
4) Connect a line to the delivery port & watch the hot water pour out under pressure developed by the hot expanding air. Again be careful not to burn hands.
5) Allow keg to drain upside down ( in the sun preferably) then inspect for internal cleanliness, don't worry about water spots, but if in doubt wipe any areas with a clean cloth taped around a long stick.
6) Occasionally I repeat the process especially if I am in doubt about any "spots".
7) Always drain & dry off in the sun, bugs can't thrive on clean dry surfaces.
8) Store topside up, & use a clean folded laundered cloth to cover "the manhole opening", use the manhole lid to hold cloth in place. This prevents moisture from becoming trapped in the keg which can amount to several CC's. Check in a few days to ensure the inside remains dry. If it's not dry it's not sanitary, but I have not yet encountered a problem.
Now as elsewhere here suggested it may be appropriate to dismantle completely once in a while & sanitise in a more routine way.
This works & it's easy, if you have an infection problem already maybe an alternative method is needed. I operate 7 kegs & have used this method for two years with zero keg infection.

Bleach is definitely out. Obvious corrosion potential when chlorine ions can contact stainless. Just don't even consider it.
I have a different approach which works for me, minimises time spent & does not require a sanitiser.
1) thoroughly rinse out the keg with cold tapwater, sometimes if the yeast is firmly settled on the bottom I may use a dedicated lavatory brush with extended handle.
2) boil a kettle full of water (about 3 litres) & pour into the keg & immediately close the top
3) Swish the (near boiling) water in the keg, vigorous shaking but taking care not to burn hands (gloves?)
4) Connect a line to the delivery port & watch the hot water pour out under pressure developed by the hot expanding air. Again be careful not to burn hands.
5) Allow keg to drain upside down ( in the sun preferably) then inspect for internal cleanliness, don't worry about water spots, but if in doubt wipe any areas with a clean cloth taped around a long stick.
6) Occasionally I repeat the process especially if I am in doubt about any "spots".
7) Always drain & dry off in the sun, bugs can't thrive on clean dry surfaces.
8) Store topside up, & use a clean folded laundered cloth to cover "the manhole opening", use the manhole lid to hold cloth in place. This prevents moisture from becoming trapped in the keg which can amount to several CC's. Check in a few days to ensure the inside remains dry. If it's not dry it's not sanitary, but I have not yet encountered a problem.
Now as elsewhere here suggested it may be appropriate to dismantle completely once in a while & sanitise in a more routine way.
This works & it's easy, if you have an infection problem already maybe an alternative method is needed. I operate 7 kegs & have used this method for two years with zero keg infection.
Main reason I fill them with starsan is that I push it all out and transfer in a closed system so I get zero oxygen.

I hook my empty kegs up to pressure fermenter when cold crashing to use CO2. When cleaning I give them a good rinse to get rid of any crud in the bottom, then I add a dish washer tablet fill with hot water and let stand. I turn them upside down for about 12 hours to give dip tubes & top a good clean, then transfer to next keg & give first keg a good rinse & air dry. I have 12 kegs that I use in rotation on 4 taps.

Latest posts

Back