Storing fermented beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cummy

Reaction score
Good idea or bad? Just thinking about how I will brew/lager/keg and rotate through. After fermentation and cold crashing (and lagering) could I store my fermented beer in 20 litre cubes at room temp (or if need be chilled) until it is ready to transfer to an empty keg? If so how long would be ok? Thanks in advance.

$$$ - and I haven't seen many second hand ones around lately.

Kegs would have to be the safest way. Purged with Co2 etc. I have heard experienced brewers cubing finished beer for Lagering. For how long I don't know but it would have to have more risk in plastic. So shorter than if you keg stored.

Until you do get the $$$ for more kegs, you should be fine storing in a cube until you have keg space.
I have stored (conditioned) a Russian Imperial Stout in a cube for 6 months (at room temp) prior to bottling. My last bottle was consumed 5 years later and was better than the first (and not oxidised).

There is the view that the plastic (HDPA) will leach oxygen over time. This may be true, but in my experience 6 months should give you enough time for the consumption of what's in your kegs already (unless you are really slow to drink them). Obviously ensuring the lid and tap seals are good and sealed air tight to avoid contact with oxygen. The storage temp range should be under 30C (the lower the better), but I'd aim for a steady temp of 16C or lower (keep at your lager temp in a fridge perhaps if you have enough room). Avoiding large temp fluctuations is best and keep away from any light. Think like you would for storing bottled beer or wine and you can't go wrong.

Cummy said:
Good idea or bad? Just thinking about how I will brew/lager/keg and rotate through. After fermentation and cold crashing (and lagering) could I store my fermented beer in 20 litre cubes at room temp (or if need be chilled) until it is ready to transfer to an empty keg? If so how long would be ok? Thanks in advance.
[SIZE=11pt]Cubes are fine for what you want to do. You can also cold crash in them to free up your fermenter earlier. Then carb and condition in them before kegging. Have a read of this thread: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/70056-carbingconditioning-in-a-cube-before-keg/ [/SIZE]

Cummy said:
$$$ - and I haven't seen many second hand ones around lately.
I think they changed how soft drinks are dispenced and the kegs are not used.

wynnum1 said:
I think they changed how soft drinks are dispenced and the kegs are not used.
Yep. Mostly the post-mix syrup is supplied as bag-in-box now.

Fairly common for uk home brewers to store and serve beer from polypins, which are basically collapsible cubes, and you can buy them from some craft breweries there as well. Best kept at reasonable temps, as your beer is live.

Latest posts

Back