Storage.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wavemaker

Reaction score
Gooday all. I don't want to thread-jack so am starting this.I have 2 SS 23l kegs, 4 x 25l fermenters and 3 x 25l plastic jerry cans and 2 fridges. I want to get way ahead of myself on fermenting,racking and kegging.
What storage conditions are appropriate for the jerry cans that I have racked my beer into. I live in Qld and have a Queenslander style home. I have a spot under the house that is cool and dark. I had envisaged that I could have one of my fridges with my full kegs , temp around 3/5degrees C. Other fridge with 2 fermenters working at around 12/15 degrees C and the racked jerrys under the house with wet towels covering them completly at around 14/16 degrees C. Possibly have fermenters working here as well in similar garb. Will the beer in the jerrys be good for a couple of weeks under the storage conditions I have described? Thanks in advance. James.

I'll bite, you shouldn't be racking fermented beer to the jerry cans.. No chill and ferment in them? Yes no drama.

Buy more kegs

Hi, I used to rack my beer from Primary into jerry cans to clear them out further prior to kegging and also to perform stuff on them like cold conditioning, fining with gelatine and then with Polyclar. Living on Bribie Island I used to put the jerries into a big old fridge, shut the door and let them do their thing for a week or so. Nowadays I do my fermenting in a modern KegMate style fridge that I can run at, for example, 18 degrees then after primary fermentation is finished I crash it down to -1 for a week and get good results. I gave my jerries away but use different shaped "cubes" for no chill.

Thanks for the replies. I rack into the jerry cans to help with clarity. I add gelatin at this stage and they then go into the cold fridge, around 3 degrees. Depending on how quick I drink them, or my visitors for that matter, they are usually in the fridge for 5/6 days then put into a keg and gassed. Usually I will broach that keg within a week. My beer is tasting great, I'm very happy with it. When you say buy more kegs, are you talking about the $170 stainless kegs? Is that a better way to keep the beer? Also what are you referring to when you say "no chill"? Thanks again.

If you're going to rack finished beer into jerries then you want to minimise headspace and keep them cold.

No chill is when you put hot wort from a full size boil into the jerry and seal it, allow it to cool naturally and then decant and pitch yeast or just pitch yeast.

Thank you. That answers my question. Could someone mark this as Resolved or is that something I should do. If so, how?

No, it will stay here and gradually sink out of sight, then in 2017 someone will necro it - usually while pissed :D

wavemaker said:
Thank you. That answers my question. Could someone mark this as Resolved or is that something I should do. If so, how?
What!? You must be kidding, mate - this is an aussie beer forum. Resolution is only complete following some good thread jacking and taking the piss :lol:

Back