Stone's Green Ginger Wine Style Emulsion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bum for Banned from the Forum.

Maybe someone else can chirp in and help you with the 'Green Steam' recipe.

interested in this.
my nick goes back 30 years to dungeons and dragons, pre internet.
stones and mulled wine.. stonemull, everyone thinks I'm a druggie..

I didn't know about raisins, tried a ginger infusion and its nothing like stoneys. I think I still have it, might dump sone raisins in it and see how it goes.

stolen the recipe from the other site to discuss..
I can't seem to locate a local grape juice concentrate, coles is selling bottles of red grape juice at the moment 2 for $6.
so considering trying this with 4 litres of red in a 5 litre demijohn.

7-1/2 pts unsweetened white grape juice (from concentrate)
1/2 lb chopped or minced golden raisins
2 oz ginger root
2 lbs granulated sugar
1/2 tsp acid blend
1/4 tsp grape tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkt Champagne wine yeast

Mix up the grape juice and dissolve the sugar into it in the primary fermentation vessel. Shred the ginger and add it and the chopped or minced raisins to the primary. Add acid blend, tannin and yeast nutrient to must and stir well to dissolve. Sprinkle dry yeast on top of must (do not stir) and cover primary with sterilized cloth. After two days, stir twice daily until specific gravity drops to 1.020. Pour must through nylon straining bag (to collect solids) into secondary and squeeze bag to extract all juice. Discard solids and fit airlock to secondary. Rack after 30 days, top up and reattach airlock. Ferment to absolute dryness (about 2 more months), stabilize, sweeten to taste, wait 10 additional days, and rack into bottles. May drink immediately, but will improve with 6 months aging. This wine may be served as is or blended with other wines lacking in interest. [Adapted from W.H.T. Tayleur's The Penguin Book of Home Brewing & Wine-Making]

started this tonight using what I could find locally or in the pantry, no grape tannins and acid blend, also skipping yeast nutrient as raisins and grape juice should cover any deficiencies. guess I will find out.

so far ..
2 x 2 litre bottles berri red grape juice. coles $6 special.
1kg raw sugar
250g coles raisins put through food processor till a gooey messy ball
2oz crushed ginger
1.6g SN9 yeast

starting SG is 1.097
stuck it in a 5l demi with an airlock.

gave it a damn good shake up to dissolve sugar and hopefully break up the gooey teaspoons of raisins.
fermenting in pantry in the dark.
poured myself a sip before adding the yeast, its bloody delicous atm.
ginger seems a little light on at this point, hopefully it gets stronger.

update to date: slow ferment but its still ticking over, hold a torch to the side and can always see it circulating up through the middle and down the sides. till this morning anyway, there is still some movement in there but it seems more random.
sg is still at least 1.06, hard to tell with the raisin bed on top. starting to really taste like a wine, still some sweetness in there though. Temps been 24-26C everytime I have checked.
I think still another week away at least from filtering out the raisins.

SG has stayed at 1.052 for 3 days, at risk of being a bit quick I filtered out raisins using cheesecloth (chickens enjoyed them). qld is warming up and I didn't want a funky fungus to take over in the raisin bed.
still has sweetness to it, ginger has added a little warmth and is more noticeable now with less sugar.
I am now looking forward to polishing this off..christmas at this rate.

racked today and back into demi, SG 1.040
tastes like white wine with berrys and a small amount of heat, not much sweetness left.

Latest posts

Back