Stone and Wood sells out to Lion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feldon

caveat brasiator
Reaction score
1631412995509.png

Craft brewer Stone and Wood sells out to Lion

Stone and Wood’s Pacific Ale has been one of the biggest selling craft beers in Australia for more than a decade and claimed the No.1 spot in the GABS Hottest 100 Aussie Craft Beers in 2011, 2015, 2016 and 2019.

The company, led by Brad Rogers, Ross Jurisich and Jamie Cook, announced the sale late yesterday in social media posts.

“Today we have some news to share … with a pounding heart and a lump in our throat, the founding families have decided to hand the custodianship of Fermentum (and its family of businesses – including Stone & Wood) over to Lion,” the group said.

“As a founder of a business, from day one you know that at some point down the road you will have to hand it over to someone else. Earlier this year, we realised that we were approaching a major milestone in the development of Stone & Wood where we knew it was time to build a new brewery.

“After many months of working through how we were going to begin the next chapter in our story the founding families decided it might be time to see if there was a custodian for the business who could grow the legacy, its people, its culture, its brands, and continue to drive the business whilst staying true to its purpose.”

Stone and Wood joins other craft brands Little Creatures, Panhead, White Rabbit and James Squire in the Lion stable, which also includes XXXX, West End, Hahn and Tooheys.

continued at: Craft brewer Stone and Wood sells out to Lion - InDaily

I'm more worried about piss, say, a "crisp," "refreshing" ale or lager with a cute name and most of the advertising budget behind it. There goes shelf space.

It's about 4.5 % ABV, SG 1.044, 20 ish IBU and quite pale. Ferment with US05 or similar around 20 C.

I think it has 60% pale malt, 40% wheat malt and hopped with galaxy very late in the boil, probably 15 mins maybe 15 g, a bit more at whirlpool, a bit more in the fermenter and a bit more again with cold crash.

Hey Chris,

S&W pacific ale was my stock house beer for ages.
70% ale malt
30% Wheat
Cascade at 60 minutes (some reckon the galaxy gives a harsh bitterness, but this isn't my experience) for about 20 IBUs
Galaxy at whirlpool for 10 IBUs worth (aiming for 30 IBUs)
1g/L galaxy dry hop about 4 points off expected FG

I actually changed this a bit after a few brews as I no chill, and added about 5 IBUs worth of hops at the start (usually galaxy) and then the rest into the cube (you need a lot). Gives great smooth bitterness and amazing flavour.

JD

Hey Chris,

S&W pacific ale was my stock house beer for ages.
70% ale malt
30% Wheat
Cascade at 60 minutes (some reckon the galaxy gives a harsh bitterness, but this isn't my experience) for about 20 IBUs
Galaxy at whirlpool for 10 IBUs worth (aiming for 30 IBUs)
1g/L galaxy dry hop about 4 points off expected FG

I actually changed this a bit after a few brews as I no chill, and added about 5 IBUs worth of hops at the start (usually galaxy) and then the rest into the cube (you need a lot). Gives great smooth bitterness and amazing flavour.

JD
Great to see a recipe for this beer. I've been using the one listed by smallbatch, (scaled up) which calls for Summer hops as well as Galaxy. Does anyone know if S&W really use Summer as I can't find this hop anywhere.
I've no idea if my beer is a good copy of Pacific Ale as the original doesn't travel as far as France, but I really enjoyed my all-Galaxy interpretation.

I'll second that!

Having tasted Steve’s version a couple of times, I think its better than S&W, tho it’s very much in the style.
There is another version of S&W Pacific Ale in BrewBuilder (scroll down to Stone and...) that was put in when the beer was newly on the market, it was then a pretty much exact copy of the brewery recipe (according to spy’s at the time). It’s worth noting that all beers change over time. The flaked ingredient is an important part of the recipe giving the soft creamy texture and the slight pearlescence apparent in the glass. As well as contributing to the fabulous head generally found on Pacific Ale.

I have heard that the beer uses only Galaxy hop but that a couple of times there wasn’t enough available, so some others hops may have snuck in. Magnum is an excellent choice for bittering. Galaxy is a great finishing hop but not my first choice for bittering.
Mark

Looks like a great recipe so, since I've got all the ingredients in stock, I'm going to give it a go this week end.
Me too. Excellent brew.
Having tried the 3 versions in Brewbuilder that is the best one (for my palate)
I will actually be ordering more of this today
I'm having trouble finding Brewbuilder recipes. I've signed up, but, while I can now generate recipes, I can't find a recipe database. I've been redirected to Captain Brew where there are some great recipes, but I can't find anything for Stone and Wood. Any help gratefully accepted.

When you log on to Brewman, you will see in the same grey member box a line to Open BrewBuilder.
Click on it and it should open.
Once open search in the Load Recipe box at top right and enter your search there. Probably best in the Brewman list.
Hope it works for you. It does for me.

If you can open BrewBuilder, get to the front page and as philrob just (too fast) you should be seeing this, start in Brewmans list. you can search/filter by styles and breweries but Brewmans list has everything...
1680422813757.png

Thanks, both. I'm in. I'll give it a good browsing. Thanks again.

Edit:
Some great recipes there. A great resource. Little Creatures is also on my list.

Last edited:
Is there a preferred browser to browse Brewman? I'm currently using chrome. Clicking on 'brewbuilder' just keeps returning me to the member details' page despite already being logged in.

Dave
Try loging out, then back in.
I find the same little bug and that fixes it for me.
Mark

Is there a preferred browser to browse Brewman? I'm currently using chrome. Clicking on 'brewbuilder' just keeps returning me to the member details' page despite already being logged in.
Hi Dave,
Probably that I had not opened your account. I have opened it now, so should be fine.

Any drama give us a call. We are working arvo shift today.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Dave,
Probably that I had not opened your account. I have opened it now, so should be fine.

Any drama give us a call. We are working arvo shift today.

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks Steve, we're off to the races!

So can piss off home now..

Latest posts

Back