Sterilizing Bottle Tops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RobW said:
Thanks Johnno - so blindingly obvious when you stop & think. Do they use what's called flash pasteurisation?
[post="59909"][/post]​

Rob, think it's called tunnel pasteurisation ?? Not sure if they're the same.

Warren -

Rob - I'm sure you are right, and that most, if not all, bottle caps are in actuality supplied perfectly clean and sanitary, and you would probably never get an infection from using them - but my argument is that you could really say the same for syphon hoses, bottlers etc that are cleaned and dried before storage.

I think over-sanitising is probably a good habit for a brewer, and to me it seems almost easier to sanitise than not to - assuming you have a bucket of sanitiser on bottling day for your bottles, hoses etc, why wouldn't you just bung your caps in there as well?

warrenlw63 said:
RobW said:
Thanks Johnno - so blindingly obvious when you stop & think. Do they use what's called flash pasteurisation?
[post="59909"][/post]​

Rob, think it's called tunnel pasteurisation ?? Not sure if they're the same.

Warren -
[post="59913"][/post]​

Just had a bit of a Google :blink: and it seems some places use tunnel & some use flash. Not 100% sure but tunnel seems to hold the temp higher for longer. Flash only holds for 15-17 seconds. One ref said you can use flash on PET bottles but not tunnel which makes sense.

Latest posts

Back