steeping grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev R

Reaction score
Hi
I usually add all my grains into the mash for the full 60min. Is there any difference to flavour or fg by steeping separately and adding strait to the boil kettle.

With some grains yes. You'll need to try it and see if it's for you.

For crystal grains, you may get some extra conversion if in a full mash with base that has surplus enzymes so separate steep then added to kettle should add some dextrins, contribute to body and result in a higher fg. This is theoretical on my part as I have not done it.

However steeping roast malts separately I have done a lot of. This avoids the need to add anything to raise pH of the mash and depending on how it's done, should result in a smoother flavour. Can be great, some find it makes big stouts too subtle or not robust enough for their palate. I cold steep for 24 hours and add that to the last 10 mins of the mash rather than the kettle and find it gives the best of both worlds.

manticle said:
With some grains yes. You'll need to try it and see if it's for you.

For crystal grains, you may get some extra conversion if in a full mash with base that has surplus enzymes so separate steep then added to kettle should add some dectrins, contribute to body and result in a higher fg. This is theoretical on my part as I have not done it.

However steeping roadt malts separately I have done a lot of. This avoids the need to add anyhing to raise pH of the mash and depending on hos it's done, should result in a smoother flavour. Can be great, some find it makes big stouts too subtle or not robust enough for their palate. I cold steep for 24 hours and add that to the last 10 mins of the mash rather than the kettle and find it gives the best of both worlds.
Bang on Brother

Carafa is also an alternative, it is a de-husked roast malt

Nice and smooth

Latest posts

Back