Stc 1000 Temp Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very Nice and tidy, I cant work out what your earths are doing though?

Appears as though the earth from the cord runs to the top GPO and is doubled there to the bottom GPO. No terminal block needed.

Edit: As per Oldmacdonald's suggestion to you.

Appears as though the earth from the cord runs to the top GPO and is doubled there to the bottom GPO. No terminal block needed.

Edit: As per Oldmacdonald's suggestion to you.

I get it now.. ;)

I plugged the heat pad in last night and came out this morning to check, had set to 20'c (0.5 variable) and was sitting on 19.7... the joy :p

How did I ever manage without it :rolleyes:

Nice mate. Looks like a cube or two waiting in the backgound too :)

BTW: your bench top is the same color as mine :p

Yep, three cubes left of Czech Pilsner to brew yet, if you want one to try it could be arranged? You could even try the Plump Yak?

What I don't understand is how fridge manufacturers don't cough up the extra $10 (it would cost them) to put a damn STC1000 on their fricken fridges in the first place.

I'd buy a fridge for $20 extra where I could set the temperature accurate to 0.1C. Even if it's just for a reason to yell that the kids. "Johhny! Look at the temperature! It's gone up two degrees since you opened it and stared at the food. Close the bloody door."

I'm gonna sound like a trainspotter, but it's fun to watch it slowly climb up and then click on. Isn't it?

Fisher & Paykel? YOU LISTENING!

I wired my controllers directly into fridges. No more untidy cords.

stc1000.JPG
002.JPG004.JPG

Nice use of cable zip ties, keeps it neat and tidy.
I would have thought that you would have used a cable gland on the power cord entering the box, or at the very least another zip tie on it on the inside... :p

Good call... And yes, the proper way to go about it.

I got away with it as the supply cord diameter is 1 or 2mm greater than the size of the hole..

Tight as a Nun's..

Agreed mate, these box's are overkill, next one goes into a clear tupperware container for a fraction of the price I forked out for my first case, :beerbang:

Somewhere in the order of $2 vs. $15-$20...

Much safer for the kiddies with it being screwed closed, however.

Yes it looks good. However, I'd be concerned about the potential for condensate to form on the wiring or in the device, even if you enclosed it from behind (in the fridge). Doesn't the info sheet that comes with them refer to humidity levels?

<< pics removed >>

I've been wanting to do this for a long time, but have been worried about the moisture level in a fridge. How long have these been mounted; and have you had any issues with the moisture?

Also would the heat these things produce cause the fridge to work much harder?

QldKev

Very nice! Have you wired the heating to the fridge light? The 15w globes in those old fridges put out a lot of heat.

Thats a good idea, up here I can hold 18c in winter but I like to take the yeast up to 20 for a day once it is fermented out to ensure the yeast cleans up. I always have trouble getting from 18 up to 20 in the peak of winter. I wonder thou of the ligh could cause it to become light struck; but I guess I ould always cover the light with something to knock it out.

QldKev

I've been wanting to do this for a long time, but have been worried about the moisture level in a fridge. How long have these been mounted; and have you had any issues with the moisture?
Also would the heat these things produce cause the fridge to work much harder?
QldKev

The fridge on the left is the fermenting fridge which has a power point inside for heating if needed. The keg fridge (the rusty one) is wired for cooling only. I removed the original thermostat and set the cooling temp on the controller. There is no issue with the moisture as yet, its been couple of weeks now. This fridge is well past its prime and the controller was cheap too, so I am not overly concerned if either blows.

Qldkev,

Yeah you could wrap the globe in tinfoil. Wont trap the heat or catch fire but blocks the light nicely. Also u can get ceramic globes that only make heat but I'd say you'd struggle to find one that fits a fridge socket. Mind u don't forget to disable the off button when the door closes. I can see some1 spending hours trying to figure out why it wasn't heating when it was on while they were watching. However would like to get an electricians take on it, I may be talking out my ass and displaying my electrical ignorance but I don't know if the current to the bulb is transformed or not and hooking it straight to the 240 v might be bad.

The sparkys at work werent to happy with my lunch box jobby and they dropped it and it broke hahah

So they did this up for me

IMG_0763.jpg

Back