Stc 1000 Temp Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey

Just wondering where you place the temp probe ? Can understand if it was placed loose in the cooling part but if it was left hanging loose on the heat side of things and you where using a heat pad or belt , wouldnt it cook the fermenter until the air in the fridge was the correct temp ?

Or do you attatch to the fermenter with tape or the like ? :icon_drunk:

Thanks

I have my temperature probe in a 3L bottle of water that lives in the fridge the idea is that this vessel will be a better indication of the wort temp.
I have the temp set at 17*C as the fermentation process itself creates some heat and will then be in the 18-20 range.

Cheers Stu

And where is the polystyrene placed ?

Probe right up against the fermenter about half way up the liquid level. Insulator (polystyrene, bubble wrap, cardboard) placed on outside of probe and an ocky strap holding it all in place. Works a treat!

I also tried having the probe in a smaller vessel of liquid but found it wasn't effective in getting the wort down to pitching temps quickly. I'd rather be measuring the actual wort...just my 2c

Probe right up against the fermenter about half way up the liquid level. Insulator (polystyrene, bubble wrap, cardboard) placed on outside of probe and an ocky strap holding it all in place. Works a treat!

I also tried having the probe in a smaller vessel of liquid but found it wasn't effective in getting the wort down to pitching temps quickly. I'd rather be measuring the actual wort...just my 2c

blutak as per a photo I saw of Pennywises.. lovely

What would happen if i decided that the heating side of my ferment fridge using this controller is a tad slow.....

So to fix this instead of directly plugging my heatpad into the controller i add a double adaptor and plugged in 2 heatpads.

Note - i haven't done this but was wondering if it would work.

What would happen if i decided that the heating side of my ferment fridge using this controller is a tad slow.....

So to fix this instead of directly plugging my heatpad into the controller i add a double adaptor and plugged in 2 heatpads.

The contacts of the STC1000 are rated to 10A, so in theory, as long as the combined current draw of your two heat pads (add current of #1 and current of #2) you should be OK.

However, I'd only do this if the heating wasn't getting to temperature at all.

If it takes a long time to climb the 0.5 degree or whatever you have your dead band setting (F2), but it gets there I wouldn't worry. In fact the slower you approach your set point, the less you will overshoot, and therefore the more accurate your temperature control will be.

As michael_aussie said, the slower you bring it up to temp the more stable it will be. But if over night with 1 heating pad if it still looses heat, then yes 2 will be ok. Most pads are rated at either 30w or 50w, the stc1000 are 10A at 240v = 2400w; so you could run a power board and have many heating pads. You will just need to check the exact capacity of your heating pad.

That's one impressive nugget but where's the heating circuit? I'd ask them to swap that switch out for another plug for heating.

I live in Brisbane so no need for a heating circuit. In my house in the middle of winter it wont get colder than 15 degrees. Day time temps are around 20-22. So come winter it will just live in the fridge or man cave and will be perfect brew temp. :D

Summers a bitch. I know how to cause heat waves in Brisbane now! Just put down a brew! Bought a 2nd fermenter cause it was a bit cooler last week. Put it down Sunday and BAM heat wave!, 35 monday, 33 tuesday, 33 wednesday and 31 today. Awesome

It was 31C in my laundry yesterday - what is this "heating" you speak of? :D

We didn't have a summer here, it went straight from spring to autumn. <_<

Very tempted to get the fire going and it's only March :huh:

Will check the ratings of the 2 heatpads before attempting this. It eventually got to 20C in the ferment fridge 48h after putting 60L of chardonnay juice at ~12C in it. Night time temp was ~12C so it was battling mother nature. The fridge with only 30L of juice got there in 24h and funnily enough was the first to start fermenting.

Maybe Ross should consider adding 20l cubes of 'hot air' to his store for us unfortunate southerners!

We didn't have a summer here, it went straight from spring to autumn. <_<

Very tempted to get the fire going and it's only March :huh:

Will check the ratings of the 2 heatpads before attempting this. It eventually got to 20C in the ferment fridge 48h after putting 60L of chardonnay juice at ~12C in it. Night time temp was ~12C so it was battling mother nature. The fridge with only 30L of juice got there in 24h and funnily enough was the first to start fermenting.

Far out, Australia is such a big place I think we all forget when chatting on this forum the different conditions we have. It has just dropped in temp last couple of days (it's been fairly hot), but up here todays weather has cooled, it was max 31C | min 21C (and about 80% humidity) makes you think about the different requirements for heating and cooling. On the back patio of my place, my fermenting fridge can hold a ferment at 18C in the peak of winter. (with no heating)

QldKev

Ordered mine today for $23. Just gotta make sure the fridge I have lined up is legit and I'll be good to go :)

Far out, Australia is such a big place I think we all forget when chatting on this forum the different conditions we have. It has just dropped in temp last couple of days (it's been fairly hot), but up here todays weather has cooled, it was max 31C | min 21C (and about 80% humidity) makes you think about the different requirements for heating and cooling. On the back patio of my place, my fermenting fridge can hold a ferment at 18C in the peak of winter. (with no heating)

QldKev

I can brew lagers in winter with no temp control in my shed. 9C all the way.

In fact, i switch off my keg fridge for 4-5 months each year and it stays around 8-9C.

Not too bad for a flacid robo-octopus if I must say so myself :beerbang:

stc1000c.jpg

I just paid $37.50 at John R Turk for a Clipsal flush mount like this. Last time I bought a couple for my tempmate from they were only $17 each! :angry:

Terrible customer service too, I think unless you're dressed in overalls and spending a couple of grand on gear they don't want to know you. I feel like writing a letter of complaint.

Back