Stc 1000 Temp Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just paid $37.50 at John R Turk for a Clipsal flush mount like this. Last time I bought a couple for my tempmate from they were only $17 each! :angry:

Terrible customer service too, I think unless you're dressed in overalls and spending a couple of grand on gear they don't want to know you. I feel like writing a letter of complaint.
Under $10 each at Jaycar.

We didn't have a summer here, it went straight from spring to autumn. <_<

Very tempted to get the fire going and it's only March :huh:

Will check the ratings of the 2 heatpads before attempting this. It eventually got to 20C in the ferment fridge 48h after putting 60L of chardonnay juice at ~12C in it. Night time temp was ~12C so it was battling mother nature. The fridge with only 30L of juice got there in 24h and funnily enough was the first to start fermenting.

Can't agree more It's cold (and I'm a Pom!). Just doing my fridge, hmmm will the one pad be enough with it in the garage?

Can't agree more It's cold (and I'm a Pom!). Just doing my fridge, hmmm will the one pad be enough with it in the garage?

I dont even have a garage or shed (60 days and I freekin will :wub: ) and the fridge I use is currently outside under a pub/cafe type umbrella.. plenty good either way, probably uses more power than it otherwise would/will though I should think..

Received my STC-1000 This week after a fairly long wait .

Trip to Jaycar thismorning , Jiffy box , rubber grommets didnt have those flush mount sockets that look really good and it had just ticked over 12.00 pm damm middys closed .

Bunnings for a couple of small neat power points instead of the sockets . hours drive back home and into the build . 4.00 pm pluged in and working just fine.

Controller $ 23.90
2 x Small p/points $ 15.60
Jiffy Box $ 6.95
Grommets $ 3.95
Old Power Cable $ 0.00

Total $ 50.40

Could not go wrong with these units

Fek! Mine were $6.65 from Altronics. Socket
wow.. that panel cut out would be a PITA to cut into a jiffy box..

P8241.jpg

wow.. that panel cut out with be a PITA to cut into a jiffy box..

P8241.jpg
Nah, dead easy, does'nt need to be that accurate, I cocked up a bit (zoom in) but it's good enogh. And I used an instument Case which is easy to cut.

I have'nt done the front yet (waiting for controller) but will be using these switches in red and blue for the sockets which will also illuminate when they are in use.

DSC_4402.JPG

Just wondering what everyone has set their temperature difference. I set mine to -1.5 degrees. I have stuck to probe to the outside of the fermenter. When i set it to 20, my old stick on thermometer says approx. 22. Which one would be closer? Maybe i should try and recalibrate it again?

Just wondering what everyone has set their temperature difference. I set mine to -1.5 degrees. I have stuck to probe to the outside of the fermenter. When i set it to 20, my old stick on thermometer says approx. 22. Which one would be closer? Maybe i should try and recalibrate it again?
I have mine set to the minimum differential. == whatever that is??
I purchased 4 and benched tested them all against a known accurate thermometer and had no more than 0.3 degrees variation with no offset so I let them all at the factory setting.
You should check them against something else .. but not the stick on temperature indicator... it's only a guide.

Anyone recommend an ebayer to get me one of these bad boys?

Prefer not to have to wait 3 weeks for something to get here!

Cheers

Anyone recommend an ebayer to get me one of these bad boys?

Prefer not to have to wait 3 weeks for something to get here!

Cheers

If you don't want to wait, why not get one from one of the sponsors.

QldKev

It will also depend what you have covering the probe. I have styrofoam then bubble wrap and a piece of cardboard shielding it from the inside fridge temp.

I have set my difference to .5 which I think was also factory settings. Can't remember now as I played around a bit with it. If you have yours set at 1.5 and the temp at 20 then maybe it was in a cooling cycle bringing the temp down when you read it? i.e. your wort may have been at 21.5 and fridge was on. As mentioned the stick on ones are only a guide and if this was the situation then .5 difference really isn't much at all.

If you don't want to wait, why not get one from one of the sponsors.

QldKev

The one from G&G is $155 from the looks of the website ... not in that much of a hurry!

Don't get me wrong I don't need it NOW just prefer not to have to wait ages like some of the previous posts.

So any recommendations on good sellers?

The one from G&G is $155 from the looks of the website ... not in that much of a hurry!

Don't get me wrong I don't need it NOW just prefer not to have to wait ages like some of the previous posts.

So any recommendations on good sellers?

You can have cheap, or you can have fast, pick one! :)

Dealing with ebay means you quite often get them cheap, but you have to wait!

Back