Stc 1000 Temp Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

I was picked this up on eBay last week, but the controller is either broken, or I am too dumb/drunk to figure it out.

Some of you are stating that the contact in the STC shouldn't be used to swith the 240V, what is the reasoning behind this?

Currently the chiller has a commercial CAREL IR33S installed on it.

It get cold nicely, and stays down, but it just keeps going, and slushy beer is hard to pour :)

Any advice appreciated.

John
(Brisvegas)

I think most people woh own an STC1000 DO switch 240V.
I certainly do .. with no problems.
There has been some debate about whether or not you should switch 10A, even though the unit is rated at 10A.
Personally I think you shouldn't switch a 10A load (2400W).
However, I haven't seen anyone argue against switching 240V.

You should never do anything unless you know at least half of what you are doing.

Like the surgeon who passed with 51% and is now leaning over you with a scalpal.

Or that guy who designed the brake system for your car.

:wub: converted.. ooh I loves it!!

1.JPG
bits and pieces ready for assembly
2.JPG
assembled and fitted.. tight as a nuns ....
3.JPG
wired up and ready to test... damn I was excited.. and slightly nervous
4.JPG
Plugged in and working. Joy ensues.

the one thing that was a PITA for me was I had to remove the plugs and wire them first as acces to the screws (for the earth) was limited, other than that it went like a dream.. followed the wire diagram from this Link and was a piece of piss.. I did send the link to my old man (sparkie) to look it over before I wired it up... Gold

probably will get myself a few more if I can still get tham at $16 to the door

[edit] might find a jayar for my next one.. this lot cost a pretty penny.. the power outlets were almost as much as the STC by themselvs.. let alone the weather proof box to fit it all in... but worth it :wub:

Nice job... looks the goods :icon_drool2:
My next one will be as Michael Aussie suggested. I like the idea of having a "stand alone" box and everything plugs into it.A male PC for power and a headphone jack for the temp probe.

On a side note, I can't believe some of the prices they are selling these things for on Ebay. :ph34r:

My STC 1000 arrived on Friday, took a while but it's here. Now off to Jaycar to find a box and wire it up!

You could have left out the terminal block by looping your wires in one of the power point terminals. Would eliminate the potential for the terminal block to bump around inside the enclosure.

I could have done that, however my father would not have been as pleased as he was (Retired Sparkie) the terminal block cant really move about much and there is no danger if it does, it's all insulated, the box is a "propper" jobby and cost a small fortune... in fact much more than the controller I put in it..

I also had an extremly nervous wife who was very pleased that I had done everthing to a high standard and had it checked by my old man before plugging anything into it.

and now I also have plenty of sapres for when I mount my next one in a tupperware container so I can see it all :icon_drool2:

Cheers

I also had an extremly nervous wife who was very pleased that I had done everthing to a high standard and had it checked by my old man before plugging anything into it.

I gave mine to my wife and told her our daughter had pulled it out. Then told her to plug it back in for me :icon_drunk: ... she didn't come back fried so all was good.

:wub: converted.. ooh I loves it!!

View attachment 44590
bits and pieces ready for assembly
View attachment 44591
assembled and fitted.. tight as a nuns ....
View attachment 44592
wired up and ready to test... damn I was excited.. and slightly nervous
View attachment 44593
Plugged in and working. Joy ensues.

the one thing that was a PITA for me was I had to remove the plugs and wire them first as acces to the screws (for the earth) was limited, other than that it went like a dream.. followed the wire diagram from this Link and was a piece of piss.. I did send the link to my old man (sparkie) to look it over before I wired it up... Gold

probably will get myself a few more if I can still get tham at $16 to the door

[edit] might find a jayar for my next one.. this lot cost a pretty penny.. the power outlets were almost as much as the STC by themselvs.. let alone the weather proof box to fit it all in... but worth it :wub:

Dead set uncanny Iamozziyob...

Mine's nearly identical:

Attachments

• IMG_0275_1_.JPG
    IMG_0275_1_.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
and mine has only been in a luch box for the past few years :huh: :huh:

QldKev

I've still not got around to put a housing on the two controllers I've got on the two ferment fridges. One day I'll get to it.....

Mine is also fixed up, can't work out how to put pics up on this site?

Nice use of cable zip ties, keeps it neat and tidy.
I would have thought that you would have used a cable gland on the power cord entering the box, or at the very least another zip tie on it on the inside... :p

Back