Stc 1000 Temp Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the STC 1000 uses an NTC Thermistor which unfortunately is not a thermocouple like the k-type you are looking at on ebay.

unfortunately not interchangeable.

(the difference is that a thermistor varies its resistance and thermocouple generates a small voltage at different temperatures if my memory serves me right)

p.s. this is going on my limited knowledge on this stuff, but i think im am correct, hopefully corrected if wrong.

The terminals for the cooling relay (7 and 8) in and out appeared to be like the others - wound right out so the wire can be inserted and tightened - but they were wound right in. Really tight. So much so that I bent the crap out of the plastic terminal block loosening them off and I'm really surprised it didn't break the connection.
Total cost is under $25 (box and connector block from jaycar and extension cord from bunnings).
I suspect that these two things are related, some old saying about getting what you pay for. :)
Having said, that I actually prefer the function of my STC1000 over the much more expensive Tempmate, so I'm not knocking it, especially at that price.

Questions: what does everyone set the compressor delay to? Can I leave it at the default 3 minutes?

What about the difference set value? Does setting this too small make the thing turn on and off too much?

It is recommended to set the compressor delay to the maximum, that gives your compressor always at least 10 minutes to settle before it is switched on again. You then can set the difference set value to the minimum if you prefer, knowing that your compressor doesn't switch on/off every minute.

the STC 1000 uses an NTC Thermistor which unfortunately is not a thermocouple like the k-type you are looking at on ebay.

unfortunately not interchangeable.

(the difference is that a thermistor varies its resistance and thermocouple generates a small voltage at different temperatures if my memory serves me right)

p.s. this is going on my limited knowledge on this stuff, but i think im am correct, hopefully corrected if wrong.

Thanks markymoo

You prevented me from getting a big disappointment!

Cheers

Glad you found it useful :)

Wood88, yours was by far the easiest to follow for me, not sure if it was the way the set it out or detail etc, I took one look and went "I get it".

Great job mate and thanks for taking the time to share with us :beerbang:

Edit: did you know that they are using your drawing overseas, your almost famous!

I was going to get another Fridgemate for my new (approaching) fridge - My current Fridgemate is dead reliable and seems to know what it's doing - what would be the advantages of a STC 1000? I don't need heating - far from it, being coastal SEQ.

How much is the unit? It seems to be similar to the Fridgemate in the wiring exercise.

So is one able to purchace a NTC thermistor probe to suit a STC1000 that is stainless and has a threaded end, and if so, where from?

EDIT: Bribie, I think I got one for $35 delivered. Look on eBay. It took 40+ days to get here from Hong Kong (must have been the new year celebrations holding the post?) but in the mean time they've sent me another that is on it's way.

So is one able to purchace a NTC thermistor probe to suit a STC1000 that is stainless and has a threaded end, and if so, where from?

EDIT: Bribie, I think I got one for $35 delivered. Look on eBay. It took 40+ days to get here from Hong Kong (must have been the new year celebrations holding the post?) but in the mean time they've sent me another that is on it's way.

You may want to ask Ross to see if THIS is compatible.

Ross has S/S threaded NTC probes
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=955

Also I just picked up a couple of STC-1000 for $17 each (inc post)

QldKev

I was going to get another Fridgemate for my new (approaching) fridge - My current Fridgemate is dead reliable and seems to know what it's doing - what would be the advantages of a STC 1000? I don't need heating - far from it, being coastal SEQ.

How much is the unit? It seems to be similar to the Fridgemate in the wiring exercise.

Got mine off ebay for $26 delivered. Took 8 or 9 days to get here from HK. Cost another $30 or so for the extra bits required from Jaycar.

I found wood88 drawing priceless in wiring up mine as well. I have it saved to my HD.

I have my compressor delay running at 5mins (fairly new fridge i scored for cheap) - fridge is in a pretty cool, stable temp area - it hardly ever comes on.
I run the temp difference at 0.5C - when im CCing this is changed to 2C so that shes not working as hard all the time.

Wood88, yours was by far the easiest to follow for me, not sure if it was the way the set it out or detail etc, I took one look and went "I get it".

Great job mate and thanks for taking the time to share with us :beerbang:

Edit: did you know that they are using your drawing overseas, your almost famous!
I used the drawing when i put mine together....
I also "happily" took mine apart , last Sunday , to show Bob how i wired it up....
Bloody thing fried...not sure why/how...unplugged it before we unscrewed the jiffy box...but i didn't turn the unit itself off , before i pulled it outta the power...
Just ordered a new one...only paid $23 for this one....
Bloody thing....
Still love it though....

Got mine off ebay for $26 delivered. Took 8 or 9 days to get here from HK. Cost another $30 or so for the extra bits required from Jaycar.

Someone saw you coming for $30

Jiffy Box from Ross = $4.90
2 ext cords from work = $0
1 x 3 terminal block to join wires = $0 from a friend

Only cost me $4.90 all up but if you had to pay for everything you should have been able to do it for under $20 I reckon.

Also I just picked up a couple of STC-1000 for $17 each (inc post)

Really! You've certainly won the price war. Are they STC1000, or miniature aquarium temp controllers that look alike? Where from? Share Share.

Edit: He he mine will have cost me about $17 each, once the 'replacement' arrives. Honestly the first did not arrive until after the supplier agreed to send me another since the first had not arrived. My conscience is clear.

Someone saw you coming for $30

Jiffy Box from Ross = $4.90
2 ext cords from work = $0
1 x 3 terminal block to join wires = $0 from a friend

Only cost me $4.90 all up but if you had to pay for everything you should have been able to do it for under $20 I reckon.

The jiffy box was $6 or so. I bought one extension cord for another $8 and two flush mount sockets at about $9 ea. I reckon the way I have put it together (like some other forum members) looks pretty neat, not like some flacid robo-octopus.
If I bought the cord from bunnings I could have saved $2 or $3. The main expense is the two sockets.

Questions: what does everyone set the compressor delay to? Can I leave it at the default 3 minutes?

What about the difference set value? Does setting this too small make the thing turn on and off too much?

I have mine at 3 mins. From what I understand this means that it'll be a 3 minute delay from when your STC1000 sees that it need to switch the fridge back on to when it actually applies the power. For the purpose of an explaination - If I have mine set to hold at 17 degrees with a 0.5 degree tolerance it'll switch on at 17.5 and run the fridge until it the probe reads 16.5 degrees. the fridge will slowly warm up to 17.5 again and the STC will see that it's time to switch back on, wait 3 mins then do crank her up again.

Since the fridge warms slowly while it's off the difference in stress on the compressor would be very little between a 3 minute and a 10 min compressor delay as it's already been off for 50 mins (or something like that). So it'll be 53 min or 60 minute break for the comnpressor - not a big difference.

I've heard newer fridges have a safety thing which prevents overworking of the compressor. Mines new and it always cranks up on time so it's not being overworked.

I think it would only be an important feature when running an old fridge in a different situation.

The way I see it: The lower the delay, the faster the fridge starts up to keep your brew closer to the the temperature you set.

P.S. The above explaination is based on my own common sense. Sorry if anything is wrong!

Really! You've certainly won the price war. Are they STC1000, or miniature aquarium temp controllers that look alike? Where from? Share Share.

Edit: He he mine will have cost me about $17 each, once the 'replacement' arrives. Honestly the first did not arrive until after the supplier agreed to send me another since the first had not arrived. My conscience is clear.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It's closed now but there are a few just over the $20 mark.

Also keep an eye on ebay.com sometimes you get a better bargain from there

QldKev

Can you get similar jiffy boxes from bunnings? I know you can get them from jaycar and CB but bunnings is on the way home.

Cheers

Not that I have seen. Jaycar or CB is your best bet. i used a tupperware container and taped the lid down so little fingers don't go prying.

I have been using my fridgemate in combination with a timer to control my 2400w urn for getting to trike temp (so my urn is ready for mash in at some crazy hour of the morning). I bought a second controller (stc-1000, hasn't arrived yet) for doing this more often and when i am using my fridgemate for fermenting.

Would I be better off using the 'real' fridgemate for the urn, not using either at all, or it doesn't matter as it is only really switching on once?

I could just use the timer as I pretty much know the temp rise time, however the other day I got held up and ended up getting home late, if i had used a timer my strike water would of been boiling, with the fridgemate in coltrol it was ready to go.
Rudi,
If I were you, I'd keep using your Fridgemate for your urn.. and continuing to use your combination of this and a timer to ensure you have your urn ready for you overnight.
and use your new STC100 from your fermenting fridge.

Latest posts

Back