Stc 1000 Temp Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given that you're in Brissy (and my limited knowledge of Brisbane weather is it's generally warm?), you probably only need the cooling side of the controller, right?

And I doubt any fridge would use close to 5A, unless it was a commercial fridge. Happy to be corrected though.

So with both of these in mind, this should be fine. Raise it with the ebay seller and you might be surprised - they may send you another for free. At the very least, they'll be aware that they're sending out incorrect items.

Sorry for the pictures guys. It says;

Input : AC220V
Temp Zone : -50C - 110C
Sensor : NTC25C = 10K B = 3435 (don't know what that means)
Amps : 5A/AC220V

The sensor is already plugged into NTC terminals 7 and 8.

Fron of the controller has set and reset buttons and up and down arrows. The text on the left says "Work" and "Set"

What do you guys think?

Given that you're in Brissy (and my limited knowledge of Brisbane weather is it's generally warm?), you probably only need the cooling side of the controller, right?

And I doubt any fridge would use close to 5A, unless it was a commercial fridge. Happy to be corrected though.

So with both of these in mind, this should be fine. Raise it with the ebay seller and you might be surprised - they may send you another for free. At the very least, they'll be aware that they're sending out incorrect items.

+1

It might do the job but its not what you paid for. Tell them its not what you ordered and more than likely they will send you the correct item and you may get to keep that one anyway.

Just looked at the supplier I bought it from and they don't stock the stc-1000. When I clicked on the link on page one of this thread it lead me to a general "mini digital temperature controllers" page on ebay. I guess i picked the first one I saw because they all look the same from the small thumbnails and it was the same price as the others.

So, therefore I have made the mistake myself. I can now see the stc-1000's further down on the ebay page. Damn it.

I'll have to look into returning it to the supplier and then purchasing the correct model.

Thanks for your help guys and sorry, ...my mistake.

I'll have to look into returning it to the supplier and then purchasing the correct model.

Seriously, if you're just using it for your ferment fridge, it'll do fine. The suggestion to return it to the supplier was only because you should get what you pay for, but if this is what you paid for, then it's all good.

As said, if you're only using it for cooling and you're using a regular fridge (i.e. less than 5A draw), you'll be fine. Just wire it up and go...

Seriously, if you're just using it for your ferment fridge, it'll do fine. The suggestion to return it to the supplier was only because you should get what you pay for, but if this is what you paid for, then it's all good.

As said, if you're only using it for cooling and you're using a regular fridge (i.e. less than 5A draw), you'll be fine. Just wire it up and go...

Yeah, I agree. If it was their mistake then send it back and get the correct model, but as you figured out you clicked on the wrong model - it'll be fine to just control the fridge. And if your in QLD it's not going to drop a heap o/night like it does here in Melbourne so you can probably get away with just the cooling side.

I received my STC-1000 (220VAC) this morning.
Delivery was way too long & interestingly they emailed me (prior to delivery!) to ask if I was happy with their service. I told em to find a new shipping agent.
Their reply indicated "weather problems" en route to me in Australia, & they suggested I await anticipated delivery JUNE 3rd.
That would be about 6 weeks in delivery, I think maybe there is a horse & cart service in China.
More importantly, the documentation/instructions/wiring diagram is almost wholly in Chinese.
By checking their website:
http://www.1buycart.com/catalog/product/vi...acs/category/3/
I was able to establish which terminals serve which function:
Binding Post 1/2: normally open contact of relay
Binding Post 3/4: connect to 220V power supply
Binding Post 5/6: after short circuit lock on default set, users cant change
Binding Post 7/8: connect to supplied temperature sensor probe
BUT this is for the WH7016C & its still not particularly clear, & how any product such as this can me marketed internationally without English support beats me!

STC1000 wiring is different to the WH7016C you linked to, try this.

Plenty of info on wiring up STC1000's around here anyway if you look.

STC1000_basic.jpg

I got mine STC 1000 today.

Posted from Hong Kong 6 May - Received Western Victoria (i,e, not a capital) 17th May.

I couldn't ask for better shipping than that.

If anyone is interested, I will find the seller I used and post the deets here.

Yea thats some real impressive shipping. Mine took a good month or so to arrive just south of Sydney.

A little bit of a poor effort on the shipping front, but for a cheap as chips temperature controller, it all worked out in the end

Sponge

Yea thats some real impressive shipping. Mine took a good month or so to arrive just south of Sydney.

A little bit of a poor effort on the shipping front, but for a cheap as chips temperature controller, it all worked out in the end

Sponge

Funnily, I bought 2 at the same time I while back. One arrived in 2 weeks... they other took 4! :)

Anyway, you pay for the slow boat from china (as in "free shipping") you get the slow boat, but the price can not be argued with :)

I ordered 2 off ebay on the 8/5/12. They were shipped on 10/5/12 and arrived in Sydney on 15/5/12. 1 week from order to delivery from Hong Kong. Can't complain about that!! Wired them up yesterday and they are working perfectly, thanks to the hints, tips and instructions here.

Just looked at the supplier I bought it from and they don't stock the stc-1000. When I clicked on the link on page one of this thread it lead me to a general "mini digital temperature controllers" page on ebay. I guess i picked the first one I saw because they all look the same from the small thumbnails and it was the same price as the others.

So, therefore I have made the mistake myself. I can now see the stc-1000's further down on the ebay page. Damn it.

Yes, you need to be careful of that, they use the same auction description "Mini digital temperature controller" and it does do what it says, but many of the cheaper ones are not STC 1000 but the cheaper models that are only rated at 5A and do not automatically switch between heating/cooling.

@peterlonz the 'weather excuse' is a load of BS.
I've been buying a lot of things from China in the last few weeks, and if you read the automated-info carefully, they suggest delays due to floods in Australia (which were last year).
Most of my ebay stuff has arrived within 2 weeks, 3 at the most.

Depends on how stable you want your ale temps to be.... I have found that I need heating and cooling mainly for when I want to raise temps above 20c I need to throw on a heatbelt to keep the temp up at night as it still drops to 6-8c at night at the moment.... A blanket over the fermenter could do the same job but I love the set and forget of the STC1000!

Just completed my first wire up of the STC-1000.
In case what I found may help others etc:
1) Calibrated against my -10 to 50 Deg C alcohol filled lab thermometer the STC is about 1 Deg out.
Against two other digital thermometers (both claim only +or- 1 Deg accuracy, my STC falls roughly in the middle.
If calibrating in iced water take care, its easy to not use enough ice & best to use crushed ice.

2) The user instructions supplied with my unit were entirely in Chinese, yes they quickly sent a pdf in English.
The translation is poor & instructions are garbled so I will have to experiment.

3) The red LED display is not as bright as I would like, & you have to get close at eye level to easily read.

4) I read much posted here about how to do the practical hook up. All good but:
a) The cable glands I used were difficult to get really tight.
b) I could not get the cable ties on the inside of my enclosure as tight as is required to be sure of cable retention.
c) I selected an enclosure that was a bit small (in my junk box - zero cost) making the cable connections in limited space was not easy.
d) I improvised a protective enclosure exit sheath for the probe cable. Used a bit of soft synthetic rubber tube of small diam with cable ties inside & out. Not the best but at least the cable has some protection.
e) I did drill, the bottom, sides, back, & top, with 3 mm diam vent holes. Hard to freehand this & keep it looking good. Next time, seeing no-one here did this, I may not repeat.

5) I am still not convinced the 10 amp switching circuit, is good long term to direct switch the compressor, which is an inductive load. I emailed the manufacturers on this but as you might expect - no response.

Just got my chest freezer back after a new thermostat was installed, a freezer one. Can anyone recommend f2, f3 and f4 settings for a chest freezer for keg dispensing? Is it different to a fridge setup?

I ask because I am wondering if you want the compresser to turn on less often than a fridge aka other threads about chesties dying.

Just got my chest freezer back after a new thermostat was installed, a freezer one. Can anyone recommend f2, f3 and f4 settings for a chest freezer for keg dispensing? Is it different to a fridge setup?
F2: Temperature difference (mine are set to 0.3 to 0.5)
F3: Compressor delay time (mine are set to 3mins)
F4: Temperature Calibration (as appropriate, mine is default, check with your own accurate thermometer)

http://www.back2basicshomebrew.com.au/inde...gory_pathway=26

$89.95
6amp Temp Controller with Auto Switching Independent Heat & Cool
All in a contained box with plug sockets

** Note this unit is factory made and certified**
Now that the summer weather is here it is harder to keep your brew cool, the easiest way is to use one of these connected to your fridge or freezer. You can keep making your favourite lager beer all though the hot summer months.
Do you have a consistency problem between your brews? Sometime its fantastic other times its just average and you have done everything the same as before, this might mean that you have temperature fluctuation thats affecting the taste of your brew, this can be eliminated by the use of this temperature controller, your brew will stay at a predetermined temperature and will only fluctuate 0.1 Deg C. Perfect brew every time.
You can use this all year round in your fridge/freezer even in cold weather. To keep the ambient temperature above your pre-set temperature e.g. 15⁰ and at night it gets down below this and above this through the day, just put a heat pad in your fridge/freezer (not under your fermenter) This will Keep your brew at one temperature all year round.

Includes:

Temperature Probe
Instructions
Control Panel and box

Features:

Broad temperature operating range (-45⁰C 120⁰C) and high accuracy.
Comes with included temperature probe
0.1 ⁰C Accuracy
High and Low Temperature Alarm with Optional Alarm Delay
Celsius and Fahrenheit display option
Independent Heating and Cooling Delay Start Control
16amp Heating or Cooling capacity
Inbuilt alarm
Fridge On or Heater On Indicator Icon

Latest posts

Back