Starting out in the Canberra winter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSober88

Reaction score
So I finally decided to start home brewing after wanting to do it for a long long time. Was given this website from the guy that sold me the kit so thought it would be good to join and post a little intro and read up on some info.

Went to a place here that was recommended to me by others I know that do it, Bought myself a Starter kit. The guy I dealt with was amazing and I was able to swap the tin in the kit out and put the money towards a wort from Hop Dog. Didn't want to start with creating the wort from scratch so this was a good option for me. I also bought another fermenter and got myself a apple cider kit to try that at the same time.

I'm a little worried about the temps as it has been very cold here which is normal, but hope it all goes okay. Will be very hard to wait for the first batch at least when the first one is done I can start another one to create a nice cycle haha.

Anyway I will be off to do some info digging.

Welcome to the fold!

You could use those fresh Canberra temperatures to your advantage, and brew lagers over winter.

Grab a cheap temp controller off eBay and a heat belt if it is within budget. Next step should be an old fridge for fermentation control.

Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome guys, I see you can buy cheap heat belts from China also. But was wondering if these are any good as I know alot of electronics are dodgy from China, My wife is from Hong Kong but at least she seems to have been put together properly.

Checked this morning on the stick on temp that came with the kit, sitting at 18-16C but not sure how you read these things as two of the numbers are coloured. Which confuses me, Does that mean it is 17C or is it just not a good way to check temps and means its somewhere around the 18-16C mark? But might look into heat belts or just brewing something that is suited to this temp.

So I have bottled the first beer and first cider, The taste of it before going in the bottle is pretty good on both. And I am already back into it with a ginger beer, and also did my first Mini BIAB last night, I should have waited till Saturday morning to do it but went pretty well but finished at 2am in the morning after cleaning everything up.

I only have a 15.1L pot at the moment which made it a little hard. So what I got was 3kg of Best Malz Heidelberg, Czech Saaz hops and a tin of export Pilsener kit beer.

But wanted to find out if anyone would tell me what they might do with the same stuff to get an idea of how I should have done it ect. as I just followed what the guy at the local HBS told me.

The first Partial has come out good, The only problem I am finding is that I am so interested in making something new once the fermenters are free that I am not drinking it quick enough. It's just such a fun hobby and have no idea why I didn't start earlier.

Last night I put a Passionfruit Cider on for the missus so will be interested in how that turns out. I think next beer I do will be a wheat beer. But not sure what to really start off with, was trying to find something of a clone like Weihenstephaner but think i'd be happy with anything as there is not much I don't like.

MrSober88 said:
The only problem I am finding is that I am so interested in making something new once the fermenters are free that I am not drinking it quick enough. It's just such a fun hobby and have no idea why I didn't start earlier.
Welcome Soberman,

As soon as the mob find out your making tasty beers you'll find its good currency and you'll be getting extra fermenters to keep up with the demand. You can also do small batches too.

Ditto on the small batches. You can always repeat the good ones. I used to only do 20-30 litre ferments, but now it is 8 -12 litre batches of a broader range of beers. Good for learning, as well as more diverse drinking.

I'm the same. A 12L BIAB batch is easily doable on the stove top; is really quick because you're heating and cooling smaller amounts; and even after generous kettle/primary trub losses you're still landing an easy 8L into packaging. Doesn't sound like much compared to the monster brews some are doing here, but it's a full slab of 330ml stubbies.

Do you have a copy of Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff? He's not everybody's favourite but the book has straightforward, repeatable recipes that give good results. Let me know if not and I'll send you his wheat recipe and some suggestions for doing it BIAB in your 15L pot. I might even have a smack pack of Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen 3068 in the fridge I could start up and split for you (I should prob put down a weizen for spring / summer now anyway).

Latest posts

Back