Starting an Electric Brew control panel for AG brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you applying it with a brush? Looks to be going on a tad thick to me. Why can't you spray it on?

Yeah applying it with a brush. Spray it on with what?
I don't own a compressor..

Silver Hammertone finish aerosol can from Bunnings? A few light coats at room temps should come up tops. I did my hole brewstand in pressure packs. Just an option 'sall.

Yeah, I'll do that with a black hammertone. Love the hammertone but hate this paint.

Or I'll get it do e when someone is getting a don't fixed on their black Mercedes lol. Love Mercedes paint.

Another iBrew order arrived: copper immersion chiller which will double as Herm's coil for now, blichmann brewery gloves and a bronco tap for my first pour. I'll add a font and taps later.

Also bit the bullet and grabbed this Chronical 64L fermenter. :)

1406857078171.jpg

1406857108324.jpg

1406857120464.jpg

Love that fermenter. I'd love to grab some conical's but have no temperature control at the moment, let alone a fridge big enough to put something like that in it!

Very nice.

Going to have to double check the fridge size lol.. pretty sure it will be OK.

Just fits! Need to install a sturdy shelf.

Ended up having to order the heater plug and sockets instead of sourcing the HPM 25A gear. The eBay step bits didn't last so I have the greenlee one on the way as well as a decent rachetting crimping tool with multiple inserts.

Also managed to get a 32A single phase plug for cheap. Just need to source the socket now.

Still no 40A SSR's. Looks like I will run with the 25A ones for a while. I am currently waiting on the heatsink, the heater plugs and sockets and the 32A gear to arrive. I just ordered a second pump which means I need more tubing and ball valves etc. ouch.

SWMBO is getting antsy at the spending, and I think ive sold everything I want to so far to fund it with not a drop of beer brewed :(

Managed to find a 20L bucket for $13 at bunnings on the weekend. At least my grain is protected from any rodents (not that I have any around for now.)

Second pump turned up super quick! Only ordered it yesterday off eBay.

1407916161616.jpg

Plugs done on one end. I used a 2" hole saw for the leviton 30A sockets but its still a little tight so I need to grind it out. Also got around to jb welding the top panel on. No heatsink yet to fit to it though :(

1408366964659.jpg

1408367347909.jpg

Going to chase up some TSP at Gunning's today to passivate the new fermenter. I'll also grab a few flap discs so I can finally strip back the back of the cabinet and paint it.

Got the leviton 30A sockets in, still need to drill and tap them though. I've got a bit more room on the base in case I want to control a chiller and maybe something else. I still have to mount the 7A fuse holder as well.

1408482294337.jpg

So my plan is to brew THIS SATURDAY. Basically I have a mate travelling 6hrs to visit for other reasons and we want the beer to be ready. That gives it exactly 2 weeks fermentation.

Besides wiring up the panel I need to clean everything, I bought some TSP today for passivating the Stainless Conical fermenter, I also have some PBW and Starsan.

What s the best plan? Soak everything in TSP on the kegs / fermenter, rinse and allow to dry then wash with starsan on the day?

I have everything except the heatsink, but the 25A SSR's have heatsinks so it should get me through the first brew.

Tips hints?

sjp770 said:
So my plan is to brew THIS SATURDAY. Basically I have a mate travelling 6hrs to visit for other reasons and we want the beer to be ready. That gives it exactly 2 weeks fermentation.

Besides wiring up the panel I need to clean everything, I bought some TSP today for passivating the Stainless Conical fermenter, I also have some PBW and Starsan.

What s the best plan? Soak everything in TSP on the kegs / fermenter, rinse and allow to dry then wash with starsan on the day?

I have everything except the heatsink, but the 25A SSR's have heatsinks so it should get me through the first brew.

Tips hints?
Tips? Don't cut corners. If you think it's going to be a rush job, go buy a slab of the best craft beer you can find and get your mate to help you brew your first brew in 2 weeks time.

Well if I paint tomorrow night I can wire up Friday night, dry/wet run on sat morning and then brew. Tonight I need to finish the element wiring, and do a head count of any fittings I need. I have the chance to grab a ball valve or two on Friday, but no barb fittings which might suck. Doesn't mean I can't brew, just that I can only run one pump.

Not looking to cut corners, I have so much here ready to go. Just means a few carefully planned nights.

1408536584446.jpg

1408536598919.jpg

hmmm... besides missing the connectors for the second pump im also 1x 12mm barb down. I think I might aim to make the brew day the day he visits instead, still a cool day, and like you said have some nice craft beer to drink while brewing.

No way I could get that barb here by the weekend. I'll still try to paint tomorrow, and if by some miracle the hydraulic place I grab bits and pieces from has a 12 mm barb i'll try a dry run on saturday.

Ive been considering changing to quick disconnects as well. Also I dont think I have the right hose, mine isn't thick walled so it might be hard to handle.

Wire up the panel in one night?! Took me 3, but that was only a few hours each night, I guess it could be done in probably 6 hours or so if you had everything right there ready to go.

Do the 1st brew day with your mate ... get everything running they way you want it, including both pumps ... even with my setup finished and 'tested' I still had leaks and issues.

Great to hear its all coming together though!

Wiring the panel could be done in one night, skipping the amp meter and volt meter. Making it tidy however would require a massive session.

I have a bunch of 3mm spade terminals but the auber timer seems to take smaller spades. :(

How many meters of what hose did you use Viv? and are you happy with those quick disconnect fittings?

Back