Starting a new 1BBL brewhouse with intention to scale & distribute.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really have to agree with the last three post, until you've ticked those boxes, any other advice is shooting in the dark at shadows.

Really have to agree with the last three post, until you've ticked those boxes, any other advice is shooting in the dark at shadows.
and thats how the army does most of its shooting or was it the airforce.

I started down that path...

The actual equipment was easy.....but everything else...not so easy

One thing I did find was that the ATO where very helpfull

Dont give up on the dream, but maybe look at setting up an brew-on-premises first, that will get you money in the door and give time to get everything sorted before going full on

PS.....you need to think of little things like filling and labeling a few hundred bottle at a time

Everything gets cheaper in bulk, so small brewing .. it's really hard to make a buck unless you sell directly to the public at premium prices.

I reckon the best way would be to partner with a restaurant if you can find one.. those posh places don't blink an eye at charging $10 a beer, .. so there's a good markup if you get a deal to supply them with kegs.

If you are in Canberra at the moment I'd join the Canberra brewers club, next meeting is 6/7. Many pro brewers in the club including bentspoke, wig and pen, pact, zeirholz and a small volume cider producer almost guaranteed that one will be in attendance, they could help explain the finer points of dealing with the act government.

If you are in Canberra at the moment I'd join the Canberra brewers club, next meeting is 6/7. Many pro brewers in the club including bentspoke, wig and pen, pact, zeirholz and a small volume cider producer almost guaranteed that one will be in attendance, they could help explain the finer points of dealing with the act government.
was going to suggest this when I just read that the OP is ACT-based

I don't know what your business plan is or the capital you have available, however there is a brew on premise business for sale in Canberra. This could help you get around some of the initial set up infrastructure, permits,etc as well as providing an income as you establish and expand your brewery/brand.

https://www.commercialrealestate.co...ue-profitable-business-opportunity-2013668183

Good luck with your dream.
Agree with this as an idea to get exposure to commercial brewing however I've only heard bad reviews of Tortured Gum beer and service. As an aside I experienced terrible customer service at the U-Brew-It that occupied the site previously... I also believe that the location (off the highway in Hume) is poor from a convenience perspective for most Canberrans.

Canberra is just a weird set up in general. I remember on one of my first visits nearly running out of petrol as all the servos' are hidden in back streets around loopy roads, behind other loopy roads...
I got used to it after a few visits.

Bah, dunno why brewery DA's are so scary. Do you research, write a clear plan and talk to the town planners before you submit. Give em a solution rather than a problem and they will help get it thru.

DA's are not that scary, you just need to do some research before hand and work within the rules.

Once you know the rules its pretty easy

There is actually a book that councils refer to for things like Micro breweries and small industries

In the ACT you must have your commercial micro-brewery in a "Industrial Mixed Use Zone" in order for door-sales direct to the public. These kind of legalities can be make or break for your business so I highly recommend you check them out with your local council before you invest anymore money (btw that's a great set-up for a beginner...I'm jealous!)

Thanks for your reply,

Yeah the Canberra brewers club has some pretty high level brewers. Like you said, big advice to be gained from those guys.

Cheers.

Agree with this as an idea to get exposure to commercial brewing however I've only heard bad reviews of Tortured Gum beer and service. As an aside I experienced terrible customer service at the U-Brew-It that occupied the site previously... I also believe that the location (off the highway in Hume) is poor from a convenience perspective for most Canberrans.

Tortured is actually for sale at the moment. Lofty asking though..

Bah, dunno why brewery DA's are so scary. Do you research, write a clear plan and talk to the town planners before you submit. Give em a solution rather than a problem and they will help get it thru.

Ive developed townhouses & duplexes before. The DA's (Purpose clauses in ACT) dont worry me.

In the ACT you must have your commercial micro-brewery in a "Industrial Mixed Use Zone" in order for door-sales direct to the public. These kind of legalities can be make or break for your business so I highly recommend you check them out with your local council before you invest anymore money (btw that's a great set-up for a beginner...I'm jealous!)

Thank for your reply,

Yeah the location Im hoping to setup is exactly that. Plus its in an area thats seeing new gentrification, which is also a plus. Ill post updates abut the setup once I have her up & running.

Cheers

Back