Starsan in beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drekavac

Reaction score
I transferred my beer to the keg today and completely forgot to empty out the 5L of starsan sitting in the keg. It wasn't until clear sarsan solution started coming out of the regulator (pressurised transfer) that I realised. After a few minutes to relax and settle down I continued transferring as it seemed like only starsan was coming out (not mixed with beer). I figure the beer going in is going down the beer spear and the starsan solution is resting on top of it and not mixing too much. There was about 1L of starsan leftover in the end that I couldn't get out of the keg.

Should I chuck the beer or is it still safe to drink?

I've found plenty of online sources saying it's safe to drink but somewhere between 1 and 5L of starsan in a 19L keg seems a bit much...

What does it taste like

The ingredient in StarSan is also the main ingredient in Coke a Cola

Ducatiboy stu said:
The ingredient in StarSan is also the main ingredient in Coke a Cola
But without the 15% detergent wetting agent (soap!!)

Wobbly

Up to you but if I had a litre left in my keg I would tip it, I can brew another beer and have it ready in two weeks so not a big deal.

YMMV

Not to mention that it will completely un balance the beer..

Afraid I'd tip.. A couple hundred mls, no biggie, a litre... A stretch.

5? Dunno about that.

Take away lesson is no keg should have/need 5lt of starsan in it, a few hundred mls will do exactly the same job and you negate the risk of this happening.

I had about 500ml in 19l a few years ago when I got confused by a new filter. The beer went to ANHC three club night and was enjoyed. I told people what happened after they had a sip and common reaction was it was a little tart but not star sanny

5l maybe not. I'd try it before dumping, though.

I would drink it until I couldn't stomach anymore. Don't forget people around here drink lambic.

well to be frank about it it's a fuckup and it will probably taste awfull
grab a stubbie pour 3/4 of it in a glass and top up with starsan for a shandy
bloody lovely i'm sure
nah !

I knew a brewer who did a very similar thing years ago

Dump it

Welp, thanks for all the feedback. I'll carb it up and give it a taste but by the sounds of things it'll probably end up down the drain. Lesson definitely learnt.

Latest posts

Back