Star San and Brass Chrome Plated Fittings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewologist

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently got my keg dispensing set up out of retirement. While I wasn't using the taps I left them in starsan. I did this for a couple of months :huh:

Now the chrome on the taps is coming of and the brass is looking fairly discolored.

Will it cause any health problems using the taps? Will I cause leaching of metals into the beer, off tasted etc.?

I'm having a few homebrewing mates around for beers tomorrow and don't want to poison them. :D

Cheers,

i've got a couple taps that sound like you describe on a portable setup. lost count of the number of kegs poured through them, beer always tastes good and we're all still here.

my reckoning is, if water comes out of the kitchen tap safe for drinking, and it's been through concrete piping, plastic piping, copper piping, past a rubber washer and through a brass tap... your beer will be fine.

disclaimer - my thoughts only.

Thanks for the reply mate.

I'll hook up the taps tomorrow morning and if I cant taste metal I wont have to break out the picnic taps.

Cheers.

I am more concerned about why the taps stripped when in starsan, should I not use it, or spray it on my perlick flow controls?

These brass taps have a small nickel and chrome layer, and will strip off if left in any acidic solution, this is one of many ways to strip nickel and chrome. Spraying your taps in unlikely to have any affect. Tony

Latest posts

Back