Stalled/sleepy yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fendercaster

Reaction score
Hi all,
As the title puts it i have a brew that has gone to sleep. Its a pale ale with liquid yeast cal ale 001. It has gone down to 1014 and stayed there. I have given it a swirl. Put a little warmth in and not much has happened. Is it an idea to pitch another yeast. Say an 05? Also i was wanting to use this cake as a dump on for my next brew. Any help is appreciated.
Cheers

1.014 is pretty close to what I'd call finished
All grain or kit/extract?
if all grain, what temp did you mash at?

If you know it's starting gravity, you can work out apparent attenuation pretty easily. If you also know your mash temp and grain bill, you should be able to work out if it's simply done.

Say your SG was 1.054, your apparent attenuation is (54-14)/54 or 74%. If your grain bill included a fair amount of caramel malts and you mashed at the higher end, it's probably done.

If you used a kit or extract, both have a reputation for finishing at the lower end of expected attenuation.

It was a fresh Wort kits from esb. it was a pale ale and the original gravity was just below 1050.
I did a comparison brew with dry yeast. I used an 05 in a brew right next to it. That went to 1008. Thus the reasons i ask.
I am only on extract as i dont have the room nor equipment to do my calcs.

Popped out and got a heat pad under. She is popping away again. And this mornings reading was 1010. So happy about that. Should be sorted soon then onto my Double IPA

Latest posts

Back