Stainless Steel work Gold Coast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm wanting to put a nice round 17mm hole in my Brew Bucket for a thermowell and don't really feel confident getting it perfect myself. Any suggestions for somewhere I could take it to get a nice professional job of it done? Obviously it needs to be perfect, without any burs and scratches etc. Gold Coast based preferably, but Brisbane or anywhere up the M1 on the way to Brisbane (Yatala, Beenleigh...) might also be OK.

Thanks,
Steve

I'm guessing you don't want to do it yourself. A hole punch will make a bur free hole. You can buy a 17mm for under $50. Seems an odd size. I would have thought 20mm.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll definitely look into that. I'm not entirely against doing it myself, but I did buy a good quality (Sutton Bi-metal Cobalt) hole saw and didn't really achieve the desired outcome on a test saucepan. The hole is for an SS Brewetch Thermowell which suggests 17mm.

A hole punch will give a clean hole but they'll only cut up to a certain thickness. I think that ebay one says 2mm for stainless. Just keep that in mind.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll definitely look into that. I'm not entirely against doing it myself, but I did buy a good quality (Sutton Bi-metal Cobalt) hole saw and didn't really achieve the desired outcome on a test saucepan. The hole is for an SS Brewetch Thermowell which suggests 17mm.
Lower speed, some pressure, LOTS OF LUBE and try another test hole
I use a 50/50 mix of baby oil and coconut oil for drilling lube
works just as well as the Sutton's Snakebite cutting oil (at about 1/10 of the price) and old machinists tell me they just used coconut oil based stuff back in the day

Latest posts

Back