Stainless 1" Bsp Rims Element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it yet? any problems using a BSP element on the NPT fitting they ship with? I'm considering one.....

I've got the RIMS tube, but no element as yet. You can now opt for a BSP thread when purchasing RIMS tubes from brewers hardware (but I'm told that BSP up to 1" is compatible with NPT as long as you use some thread tape).

I've got the RIMS tube, but no element as yet. You can now opt for a BSP thread when purchasing RIMS tubes from brewers hardware (but I'm told that BSP up to 1" is compatible with NPT as long as you use some thread tape).

Let us know how it goes, expecially re the element.

Cheers, and good luck!

That's what I wanted to hear... I figure that I can use the iphone app on brew days anyway. Much trouble getting it setup and configured?
Piece of cake - there is heaps of reference material on their wiki and forums if you get stuck with anything.

Let us know how it goes, expecially re the element.

Cheers, and good luck!

No worries, will do Jonny. Am thinking about splitting most of the info from this thread into a dedicated "build" thread anyway, but pm me in a fortnight or so if you don't hear/read anything.

Piece of cake - there is heaps of reference material on their wiki and forums if you get stuck with anything.

Excellent... I think you've just pushed me over the edge :D

Did you puchase the relays etc from ECC as well, or source them from else where? Am thinking about getting the BCS-462 so that it can handle the additional inputs/outputs and serve as my "all in one" temp control solution, but the price is a little daunting (even though I know that I'll break even when I consider that it'll control my brewery and 2 fermenting fridges).

For those interested, I just received the following response from Stokes:

We have a stock water heater 1329BL which is 2400W, is 1” BSP and has leads attached (it uses a brass plug).
We would only have to offset it to centralise the element with the BSP head.
If you require an insulated terminal cover, we can also arrange this for you.
The standard element costs around $80, any alterations will be extra.
If you want an insulated terminal cover included and stainless plug, I’d estimate around $165.
We could probably source an NPS plug to fit all this to, but it would delay delivery slightly while we hunt one down.
With Christmas upon us, a lot of delays have already crept into our lead times, as many of our smaller suppliers are taking time off over the break.
We’re also starting to get busy up until Christmas.

Am going to go with Stokes as they are local and I can drop the RIMS off and get them to bend the element specifically to suit the tube.

Yeh, they were the first ones I considered, however (unfortunately) 32mm is 1.25 inches and doesn't fit the thread (afaik they are the same ones that Keg King sell in Melbourne)

BSP is a pipe fitting and 1" specifies the size of the pipe. 1" BSP has outside thread diameter 32mm (it's actually a hair over 33mm, but everywhere lists it as 32mm).

BSP is a pipe fitting and 1" specifies the size of the pipe. 1" BSP has outside thread diameter 32mm (it's actually a hair over 33mm, but everywhere lists it as 32mm).

True, I hadn't considered that. The thread on the RIMS is a female thread, so I think I need an actual 1" wide male threaded element; either way, Stokes says that if I can provide the RIMs, that they can provide a matching thread and bend the element to suit (if I'm happy to wait while they source one).

Am currently waiting on my temp controller (the BCS-462 from Embedded Control Concepts) and I reckon it'll be a little bit before I get all the parts together to implement both the RIMS and temp controller anyway. Re the controller, does anyone have recommendations about where to source enclosures?

Re the controller, does anyone have recommendations about where to source enclosures?

Try Electronic suppliers eg Jaycar or Oceancontrols. Dick Smith is selling more consumer stuff now instead of components, but a big store might have some.

So I ended up ordering my element from Tobin two weeks ago due to problems dealing with Stokes (long story, but despite multiple attempts I still haven't recieved a quote for a suitable element).

Received my element from Tobin today and they have fabricated a 3.6kw element by mistake. Despite the obvious requirement for a 15A circuit/powerpoint, does anyone think that i'll have any trouble with the stronger high density element, or should I return it and wait for the 2.4kw?

So misc info about my system... Mashtun is currently 38L capacity (but will soon be 50L), march pump will be used to pump wort around and an embedded control concepts BCS-462 will be used for controlling it all.

So I ended up ordering my element from Tobin two weeks ago due to problems dealing with Stokes (long story, but despite multiple attempts I still haven't recieved a quote for a suitable element).

Received my element from Tobin today and they have fabricated a 3.6kw element by mistake. Despite the obvious requirement for a 15A circuit/powerpoint, does anyone think that i'll have any trouble with the stronger high density element, or should I return it and wait for the 2.4kw?

So misc info about my system... Mashtun is currently 38L capacity (but will soon be 50L), march pump will be used to pump wort around and an embedded control concepts BCS-462 will be used for controlling it all.

I'd jump up and down and demand what I ordered, then if they don't take the 15 amp back, I'd put it in my HLT :)

I'd jump up and down and demand what I ordered, then if they don't take the 15 amp back, I'd put it in my HLT :)

They were quite happy to take the 3.6kw one back and fabricate what I ordered to spec, but when they said that I can have the 3.6kw for the same price I promptly agreed.

Getting really excited now, because I'm really close to being able to start my build...

Not as far as I can see AF, I haven't used either but I think the threaded fitting from Brewer's Hardware is 1'', too small for the 38mm (approx 1 1/2") fitting from Craftbrewer.

might contact them and see if they can just drill a 32mm hole in it for me so i can just screw it in like I do in a pot.

will let you know what they say.

anyone know if you can get triclover 1.5" in australia?

I think the threaded fitting from Brewer's Hardware is 1'', too small for the 38mm (approx 1 1/2") fitting from Craftbrewer.

Absolutely right. I found it difficult to find many off the shelf 1" BSP elements (hence the custom element)

anyone know if you can get triclover 1.5" in australia?

Yeh, Geordie stainless has 1.5" triclover. You would just need someone to drill a hole and weld the correct threaded fitting on to a ferrule cap for you (they might even do it for you for the right price).

Yeh, Geordie stainless has 1.5" triclover. You would just need someone to drill a hole and weld the correct threaded fitting on to a ferrule cap for you (they might even do it for you for the right price).

I dont think i will even get it welded, it works fine on my kettle with out a weld. it is a weldless design. so hopefully that will work.

Latest posts

Back