Stainless 1" Bsp Rims Element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeLoveBeer

Reaction score
Hi,
I've recently taken ownership of a fabricated RIMS tube from the US and have started looking around for all the associated pieces to get it up and running. One of the parts I'm trying to acquire is a (preferably) stainless electric element to suit the following specifications:

Element Length: < 350mm
Power: < 2400w
Thread: 1" NPS (BSP is also fine)

The RIMS tube is the one advertised in this months BYO mag and can be seen here.

Does anybody know of a supplier that has an appropiate element, or have some other suggestion? Closest I've found are the elements that stokes sell, but I'm a bit nervous about incoloy being in contact with my Wort.

Google "Tobins" I think they stock lots of elements MLB.

Thanks Razz... I actually checked them out a couple of days ago and they seemed to only sell elements 1 1/4" or larger (but I think I only checked the Industrial heating catalogue from memory). I'll shoot them off an email.

Not 100% sure but have a look at the Keg King still element, Stainless Steel Sheathed and it should only be a matter of using a 1" X " bush to fit it.

If you download the price list, there is a picture right at the end http://www.kegking.com.au/

MHB

Not 100% sure but have a look at the Keg King still element, Stainless Steel Sheathed and it should only be a matter of using a 1" X " bush to fit it.
If you download the price list, there is a picture right at the end http://www.kegking.com.au/
MHB

exactly what i was thinking. ;)

Plug and play too!

MHB

Thanks MHB; the element from Keg King was the original one I was going to use, however only just realised a couple of days ago that its a 32mm (1 1/4") thread. Do you think using a reducing bush would be okay in this case?

Without looking at the parts it's going to be hard to tell.
Try Stokes Mini Hotrod (bottom of Page 10), might be what you're looking for.

MHB

The dimensions are perfect, however wouldn't the wattage be far too low? I know RIMS doesn't require a super powerful element, but I would have thought that 900w would be too low?

Edit: just saw that they do a spare part element that is 1250w, so they must make one at least that powerful?

The dimensions are perfect, however wouldn't the wattage be far too low? I know RIMS doesn't require a super powerful element, but I would have thought that 900w would be too low?

Edit: just saw that they do a spare part element that is 1250w, so they must make one at least that powerful?
1250 is way low. 2200-2400 is where you are looking at.

I just got a quote from tobins yesterday - Made to order. SS element with SS bush, 1" BSP 3.6KW 240V fold back element, 360mm penetration : $152 ex gst each

1250 is way low. 2200-2400 is where you are looking at.

I just got a quote from tobins yesterday - Made to order. SS element with SS bush, 1" BSP 3.6KW 240V fold back element, 360mm penetration : $152 ex gst each

Sounds pretty good to me unrealeous (though 3.6kw is far too high for what I'm putting together). I'll shoot them off an email now...

Edit: if you're interested unrealeous, I just shot off the same quotation request to both Tobins and Stokes and will post the results when they come in. FYI, I requested the following:

Thread: 1" NPS (or BSP if you can't supply NPS)
Power: 2.2kw - 2.4kw, 240v
Material: Stainless
Dimensions: Maximum 360mm penetration, Must fit in a 38mm diameter tube with clearance of a couple of mm

I also included a link to the RIMS specifications.

The Tobins quote is in...

1"BSP, 2.4KW 240V 350 mm penetration SS316 water heating element : $152 ex gst each, 7-10 days approx. from date of order.

Freight : $20 ex gst for NSW, $25 ex for interstate.

I'll post the other one when I recieve it as a comparison for those interested.

Edit: if you're interested unrealeous, I just shot off the same quotation request to both Tobins and Stokes and will post the results when they come in.
I've already ordered mine - I don't have time to nickel and dime getting 3 quotes :D

Where's your Rims specification out of interest? Strike that - found it above.

Mmmm Shiny

Very shiny... the workmanship is first class, and the best thing about it is that the clover fittings mean that the whole thing comes apart easily for cleaning etc.

I had a mate look at making me one and he said that he'd struggle to put something like it together for the price (especially when you take the price of the fittings off the landed price).

I followed the Rooting King and bought one off stainlessstuff.net. US$140 including delivery. None of that messy disassembling for cleaning required :D

RIMS1.jpg

RIMS2.jpg

Was so ridiculously close to doing the same when I stumbled upon the other one (was following the build thread when RK was spec'ing it up). Actually have been having the HERMS v RIMS debate for a while, but stumbled on some reviews of the RIMS I purchased and it won me over. Now am just trying to acquire all the pieces to put it to work...

If you don't mind me asking, what are you using for temp control? Am thinking about one the BCS series temp controller from embedded control concepts, but need to be sure that it can handle ALL my control requirements before sinking that much coin into the project (am thinking about using it for monitoring fridges/fermentation/HLT/MLT/RIMS and driving my pump).

If you don't mind me asking, what are you using for temp control? Am thinking about one the BCS series temp controller from embedded control concepts, but need to be sure that it can handle ALL my control requirements before sinking that much coin into the project (am thinking about using it for monitoring fridges/fermentation/HLT/MLT/RIMS and driving my pump).
I use a BCS460. Certainly does the job - only issue is you need a computer somewhere nearby to see going on inside.

I use a BCS460. Certainly does the job - only issue is you need a computer somewhere nearby to see going on inside.

That's what I wanted to hear... I figure that I can use the iphone app on brew days anyway. Much trouble getting it setup and configured?

Back