Stadium Beer Line Capacity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVZOOM

Reaction score
So a workmate and I are having a discussion about beer & stadiums. He recalls seeing somewhere that the ANZ stadium in Sydney (Olympic Stad) required 40 kegs to merely fill the line capacity around the stadium.

This works out at roughly 100km of 5mm ID line...

This means 2000l to fill the lines. I call bullshit. Does anyone actually know?

Cheers - Mike

I heard Suncorp requires 25 donkeys to constantly be pissing just to keep the lines full.

wtf would you have all lines connected and running from a single supply point. what a lot of crap. you'd have kegs stored near the taps.

of course i dont know this, but common sense prevails.

I smell bullshit, its unlikly all the kegs are all stored in a central location, infact, they are probabaly stored in the wet area itself.

I remember looking at the drawings for the Python layout for the super dome in Sydney. 800 meters of Python all the line was 9.5 mm id and the Pythons were 4 and 6 line, a bit more 6 than 4 IFRC, comes to over 4 Km of line so something 300 Litres of beer just to fill the pipes.

Stadium Australia was way bigger.

Will tell you for free no chance it plumbed in 5 mm line, except for the last meter or so, flow losses would be way too big.

MHB

I've read similar things - not here in australia but in the UK soccer stadiums and the US baseball & american football stadiums so I wouldnt be supprised.
Its probably more like a 12mm+ trunk line with smaller lines going up to each bar. Remembering each bar probably has 3 beers on tap so your total meterage is divided by 3 products. It makes a lot of sence because the product isnt used much but when it is its fast moving. Imagine trying to move new kegs into a bar in the middle of a footy match.
A single point to drop off kegs makes sence logistically for the breweries. Also you'd only need one cellarman to maintain the supply to all the bars.

I'm pretty sure one of the stadiums in the UK shares beer lines with the pubs around the outside of the ground.
I would however be supprised if it was 40 kegs though!

hmm seems like we were wrong. i could swear though ive seen kegs being taken to or from the bars at the MCG.

Yeah, the trunk lines would be sign. larger than 5mm - just did the calc @ 5mm to get some perspective. Might do some 'external' research...

hmm seems like we were wrong. i could swear though ive seen kegs being taken to or from the bars at the MCG.

wouldnt be the 1st time! :lol:

I'd hate to be the bloke having to retap kegs all day long.. it would be a losing battle!

There's an urban myth around here that they considered piping beer direct from the XXXX brewery to Lang Park but it was poo-pooed for the reason that there was just way too much beer sitting in the lines.

When I worked at Adelaide Oval each bar had a cool room behind it with all the kegs and bottled drinks, might be because it's an old ground though?

I use to work at the Superdome years ago in the bar, some of the bars on ground/concourse level had some longer runs from downstairs which was only the floor directly under and i remember there was a couple of cool rooms of kegs on that level. The bars on the other levels had kegs in the nearby cool room, so maybe 20 metres. So when the events were on there was normally 2 or 3 storeman running around contactable via radio, visiting all the bars.
Bottled stuff also seemed to be pretty popular there, different events had different pre mix promotions, Jim Beam for Krusty Demon's one week, Woodstock next cant remember the event might have been Desperate and Dateless.

I also did abit of pre event setup and it was 2 or 3 days of getting stock to each level and stocking fridges.

Latest posts

Back