SS Brewbucket Dumbarse?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
Just opened my SS Brewbucket and assembled to clean it..

Not sure if I'm just being a fat fingered dimwit... but I cannot get the ball valve installed without the inside nut chewing out the inside o-ring.

I've got it sealing and soaking in PBW to test it's "sealingness" but the inside o ring is chewed outside the nut a little.

I really dont want it to fail on it's first brew but i'm worried after a couple of turns of the valve/racking cane assembly.

I'm using keg lube on the o-rings and trying to get it all snug together before winding nut down firmly.

i've even done this with water in the bucket and it doesn't seal until its mashed the oring outside of the nut.

Any hints or tips?

has anyone identified the o-ring size?

anyone tried a gasket instead of o ring?

anyone else have issues assembling or just me ?

cheers

I have found that holding the assembled tap by the (inside) nut & turning the actual valve to tighten stops the nut from chewing into the o-ring.

1 --The nut has a taper machined on one face to accommodate the o-ring.
2 -- If both o-rings are mangled, take the least damaged one (and the valve) to a place like Pirtek who will fix you up with more washers even if they have to order them in as they did for me.
3 -- Gave up on that pickup tube ages ago as in my case those two sealing o-rings are a PITA to fit properly. I leave it off these days & if I want to farm the yeast i just tip it into the glass vessel i use for farming after kegging & draining the BB of any wort remaining.
4 -- keep on using that lube.

Good luck with it.

I don't fit the inside o-ring anymore as like Pete I found the pickup tube became a PITA to get those tiny o-rings to go in.

So with that in mind I just tighten the nut really tight and it seals on the outside.

Re the pick up tube.
Like everyone else, I had trouble getting the pick up tube into the valve with the two O rings on.
The O rings looked to be slightly too big. Went to Enzed and got some different ones and they fit perfectly. Cost me 40 cents each.
Re the O ring on the valve.
My Brewbucket only came with one O ring. I fitted it to the outside and haven't had any leaks and the O ring is still in good condition after a couple of years.

As above, rarely use the pick up tube. With a bit of patience I can get the o rings to drop in but if the tube becomes misaligned with the tap it's a guessing game when draining the fermenter as to where it sits.
I haven't had dramas with the inner o ring but the outer would leak when pivoting the tap (to change the angle of the frikkin pick up tube!). I bought some silicone ones online and they seal beautifully and allow the tap to be rotated 360 degrees without leaking. I've got plenty of spares if you want me to post you some.

I bought a couple of Brewbuckets in the first batch that were brought in and recently bought a couple more.

I reckon the ball valve seals on the recent ones are softer and more prone to distortion than the first ones. I've found it harder to get the seals to stay in place with the latest ones.

It might be worthwhile mentioning your issue with the retailer you purchased them from and seeing if it's something they can help you with.

Interested to hear about a number of niggles, I'm up to my 7th batch with the brewbucket and (touch wood) haven't had any problems yet. The pick-up tube isn't perfect but it works ok.

Latest posts

Back